Sign in to follow this  
trevorrey

Inconsiderate Drivers

GAS,

What are your views on this that I got from a ROSPA site?

A substantial body of research shows that using a hand-held or hands-free mobile phone while driving is a significant distraction, and substantially increases the risk of the driver crashing.

Drivers who use a mobile phone, whether hand-held or hands-free:

• are much less aware of what’s happening on the road around them
  • fail to see road signs
  • fail to maintain proper lane position and steady speed
  • are more likely to 'tailgate' the vehicle in front
  • react more slowly, take longer to brake and longer to stop
  • are more likely to enter unsafe gaps in traffic
  • feel more stressed and frustrated.

They are also four times more likely to crash, injuring or killing themselves and other people.

Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.

GAS,

What are your views on this that I got from a ROSPA site?

A substantial body of research shows that using a hand-held or hands-free mobile phone while driving is a significant distraction, and substantially increases the risk of the driver crashing.

Drivers who use a mobile phone, whether hand-held or hands-free:

• are much less aware of what’s happening on the road around them
  • fail to see road signs
  • fail to maintain proper lane position and steady speed
  • are more likely to 'tailgate' the vehicle in front
  • react more slowly, take longer to brake and longer to stop
  • are more likely to enter unsafe gaps in traffic
  • feel more stressed and frustrated.

They are also four times more likely to crash, injuring or killing themselves and other people.

Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.

Can I just ask one question. .. were these ROSPA results taken from real-life observations of drivers under test conditions or were they carried out on drivers on a simulator?

Not a clue, I just scanned a ROSPA document.

Perfect drivers seldom are in my opinion.

I would have thought that taking a simple call whilst driving would not destruct the drivers ability to concentrate. However, if the call introduces some kind of complex or emotional conversation that would make the risk of the driver losing the ability to drive safely much more likely.

I am confused at our ROSPA trained blue light driver and what ROSPA have on thier site. Seems a tad conflicting from here.

John, to be fair, I think you are misinterpreting GAS' last paragraph.

He is I think saying that the constant bombardment of calls from customers and head office have caused him no compromised safety issues.

. .......... YET!!! :ph34r:

Evening Livi,

. ....... I would only answer the phone when it is safe to do so. ... We all have a Duty of Care towards each other when out of and aboot. ... Slightly miffed by some of the Post's to be honest questioning my Professionalism,,,, Hands Free devices are perfectly safe under the right hands !!! :D . ...........

GAS . ........... :angry:

I am confused at our ROSPA trained blue light driver and what ROSPA have on thier site. Seems a tad conflicting from here.

Don't see why you are confused to be honest . ... The training is via Police Road Craft and ROSPA Approved . .. Watched many a live Police Pursuit chasing the baddies and would you believe the Police Driver is taking and receiving messages . ..... Easy !!!

GAS . ....... :angry:

Don't see why you are confused to be honest . ... The training is via Police Road Craft and ROSPA Approved . .. Watched many a live Police Pursuit chasing the baddies and would you believe the Police Driver is taking and receiving messages . ..... Easy !!!

Evening GAS,

Yes but the messages being received and broadcast are directly concerning the pursuit and what is happening around the highly trained driver.

That's a lot different from a sales rep, for instance, having what might be a complicated business conversation with his boss or customer. It's this type of situation which reduces concentration on driving to a dangerous extent. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

Anyhoo. .....as you say, we'll agree to disagree.

Evening GAS,

Yes but the messages being received and broadcast are directly concerning the pursuit and what is happening around the highly trained driver.

That's a lot different from a sales rep, for instance, having what might be a complicated business conversation with his boss or customer. It's this type of situation which reduces concentration on driving to a dangerous extent. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

Anyhoo. .....as you say, we'll agree to disagree.

Finally the Penny has dropped Livi " Trained Driver "..... That's why my original statement being " tarred with the same brush " ruffled me feathers. ... Maybe I am being slightly arrogant but like everyone else on the Forum I am the best driver in the world !!!!! ;) Back to the Fitbaw !!

Finally the Penny has dropped Livi " Trained Driver "..... That's why my original statement being " tarred with the same brush " ruffled me feathers. ... Maybe I am being slightly arrogant but like everyone else on the Forum I am the best driver in the world !!!!! ;) Back to the Fitbaw !!

Even if you are a driving god, it doesn't follow that banning hands free phone use is a bad idea. The evidence is overwhelming that most drivers (you excepted, obviously) drive less capably when on the phone.

Most of our traffic conventions and laws are set around the competencies of the average driver - speed limits, lane widths, ABS, etc. Perhaps we could go the whole hog and create a narrower, non speed restricted lane for you too!

. .." Trained Driver ".....

I seem to recall that I proposed several pages earlier that some form of ongoing training would be an excellent idea for all drivers.

Regardless of our differences on use of phones, I think it an excellent idea that all drivers have some form of regular top-up training, and I applaud you for doing so.

I find it ridiculous that someone can pass their test at 17 and never have to do anther hour of training ever.

• Like 1

My nomination for meathead driver of the day whilst I was instructing goes to the idiot who followed us bumper to bumper out of a 30mph area into de-restricted zone - with steady acceleration we were getting close to the national speed limit - once the road ahead was clear, the other driver now almost breaks their neck to overtake us and had hardly got back onto our side and cleared us by 50 yards when he then decides to indicate right and slams on the brakes because he now wants to turn right onto a clearly marked country lane. ..

Are these people simple or just plain stupid?

Are these people simple or just plain stupid?

Both! . ... Plus probably on hands-free and not concentrating!

John

John

I was watching the driver very carefully in my mirror ( easy when they're following at that distance) and they didn't appear to be having any kind of phone conversation or distracted by anyone in the vehicle as they were alone so they didn't have that excuse!!!

Let's just say they were a 'head' with a four letter prefix of one's choice! ;)

Edited by adora

John

. ..and how do you know that . ...?? . .. Are you insinuating that I'm Stupid because I can use a Hands Free Device Safely ?? This Thread is bordering on Bullying simply because some members will simply not accept another members view. .. My Professionalism has been questioned being a Highly Trained Blue light Driver/instructor and have been for a number of years . .. Sick fed up with the Bully Boys on this Forum so shall Report this to the Admin Team to hopefully close this Thread !!!!

GAS . ......

Admin Comment

Once again another topic has gone beyond opposing views and discussion and resorted to bullying and personal comments.

Once again another topic closed

• Like 1