Sign in to follow this  
trevorrey

Inconsiderate Drivers

Aye, let the REAL drivers sort out the wayward ones---no need for cops.

I was actually TAUGHT defensive driving back in the '60s, (1960s NOT 1860s :D ). Post Office had their own instructors AND examiners in those days, and Post Office vehicles were so slow, they often ended up with a long queues of cars behind them!

Mike.

If I see a line building up behind to try and stop a accident I will pull into a layby for couple of minutes or go round a roundabout to allow the cars to go . I have had them overtake from about 8 cars back and force their way through against oncoming cars

Chances are if they get hit the impact will send them onto you so as said I let them go if I can.

Dave

• Like 1

DO NOT DO THIS, IT IS TERRIBLE ADVICE. Last week I was travelling along a dual caarigeway when I started to see signs of road works ahead and that the outer lane was closed ahead. All of a sudden several vehicles in front of me moved over which left just one vehicle in front of me and a white Transit van doing exactly what you have advised, crawling along hogging both lanes preventing traffic in the outer lane from proceeding as far as they could. Lovely, I got my wife to take my mobile and video it. It has been down loaded and is now in the hands of the Police and I am chuffed.

I did this two years ago and my wife and I attended attended Court as she was the one that took video as I was driving, in a nutshell he was convicted of driving without due care and attension for other road users and fined plus penalty points on his licence. I was was over the moon served him right. When we left the Court outside he started to swear and mouth off so I said come on pal if you want to attack me I'll see you back in there charged with GBH upon which his wife/girlfriend or whatever grabbed him and marched him off.

The highway is not a playground.

so different to what I think. twice I have been on the same section of road as it went from 2 lanes to 1, both in traffic jams. fist time drivers zipped but alas when it came to me, one zipped in front but the second wanted to go too, a few choice words were said on my part and they backed off. Second time a lorry behind pulled across blocking the second lane, I was grateful to them knowing that there would be no risk of a repeat. I understand they are blocking traffic proceeding but alas these drivers are also often but not always the ones that then bully their way in front of another car.

macafee2

• Like 1

DO NOT DO THIS, IT IS TERRIBLE ADVICE. Last week I was travelling along a dual caarigeway when I started to see signs of road works ahead and that the outer lane was closed ahead. All of a sudden several vehicles in front of me moved over which left just one vehicle in front of me and a white Transit van doing exactly what you have advised, crawling along hogging both lanes preventing traffic in the outer lane from proceeding as far as they could. Lovely, I got my wife to take my mobile and video it. It has been down loaded and is now in the hands of the Police and I am chuffed. I did this two years ago and my wife and I attended attended Court as she was the one that took video as I was driving, in a nutshell he was convicted of driving without due care and attension for other road users and fined plus penalty points on his licence. I was was over the moon served him right. When we left the Court outside he started to swear and mouth off so I said come on pal if you want to attack me I'll see you back in there charged with GBH upon which his wife/girlfriend or whatever grabbed him and marched him off. The highway is not a playground.

So why do you think it's ok to keep on driving in the outside lane as far as you can,even though ( as you say) there were signs stating that the outside lane was closed due to road works. Surely the safe method of driving would be to get into the single file traffic as soon as possible and would keep the flow of traffic moving more productively. The method you are encouraging is for inpatient drivers to go to the very end of a closed lane ( no doubt at speed) and bully there way in at the very end causing the front vehicle to break sharply and a possible collision and also causing the inside lane to back up unnecessarily .

• Like 7

On the A9 between Perth and Inverness some drivers seem to have a compulsion to overtake, having done which they then relax, reduce the speed and and stay under one's feet for the next 20 miles!

Generally speaking, when towing on the motorway, I am happy to stay in the left hand lane, cruising at a reasonable speed with the rest of the traffic in that lane, and leaving a good, 2seconds, gap (or more) to the vehicle in front.

What really tees me off then is the overtaking big artic driver who has to show off his knowledge of the length of his truck by coming back into the lane when he is barely clear of me, causing me to need to brake to re-establish a safe gap. Sometimes I almost feel I am going backwards as one after another, several do it.

Rant over . . will shut up.

Edited by Disco Kid
  • Like 1

If an LGV passes me when I am travelling in the nearside lane of a motorway, the whole of the vehicle passes me within 5 to 10 seconds. This indicates that a 50 foot long truck is travelling from 3 mph to 6 mph faster than my vehicle. When the overtaking vehicle pulls into the nearside lane after overtaking there is never any need for me to reduce speed, even if the rear of the overtaking vehicle pulled across my bow immediately after clearing the front of my vehicle. Within 5 seconds of the overtaking vehicle pulling into the nearside lane, a 50 foot gap will have been created which continues to increase due to the difference in velocities of the two vehicles.

• Like 1

When there is a similar situation in France the overhead gantry messages tell you to filter into the forthcoming single lane alternatively NOW & it does seem to work, we would never do anything that the French do though would we, even if it was good common sense.

As an aside I remember years ago going to an air display at Mildenhall & being told by the signs to use the inside lane which was proceeding at a leisurely 15 mph, I obeyed reluctantly & fumed at the cars passing & then forcing their way in about 400 metres from the exit, my mood was lifted immeasurably when we got nearer to the exit & saw that a traffic policeman had parked his motorbike across the 2nd lane of the slip road so that the Middle laners trying to get off had no exit & were forced by him verbally & by frantic arm waving to go to the next exit. The icing on the cake though was the treatment of the ones who had pushed in before the junction, they were all ordered out of the queue & also made to take the next exit, made my day !!!.

So why do you think it's ok to keep on driving in the outside lane as far as you can,even though ( as you say) there were signs stating that the outside lane was closed due to road works.

Highway code rule 134 perhaps?

Highway code rule 134 perhaps?

And 288 if it comes to that.

So why do you think it's ok to keep on driving in the outside lane as far as you can,even though ( as you say) there were signs stating that the outside lane was closed due to road works. Surely the safe method of driving would be to get into the single file traffic as soon as possible and would keep the flow of traffic moving more productively .

The issue, or mentality is that the driver who has pulled over into the still open lane has some kind of priority over those coming up in the soon to be closed lane.

Closely followed by the idea that they have been in the lane for several hundred yards, and the thought of someone getting ahead.

I believe that the instruction and signage to "Merge in Turn" should be used at all times, as it is supposed to be the most effective way of keeping traffic flowing from two into one lane.

However I do agree when traffic is flowing normally and you come to the end of a dual carriageway back to a single carriageway, it is very annoying when the idiot behind has to pass you, and to do so drives up the cross hatchings for some distance to achieve this putting you and oncoming traffic at risk.

DO NOT DO THIS, IT IS TERRIBLE ADVICE. Last week I was travelling along a dual caarigeway when I started to see signs of road works ahead and that the outer lane was closed ahead. All of a sudden several vehicles in front of me moved over which left just one vehicle in front of me and a white Transit van doing exactly what you have advised, crawling along hogging both lanes preventing traffic in the outer lane from proceeding as far as they could. Lovely, I got my wife to take my mobile and video it. It has been down loaded and is now in the hands of the Police and I am chuffed.

I did this two years ago and my wife and I attended attended Court as she was the one that took video as I was driving, in a nutshell he was convicted of driving without due care and attension for other road users and fined plus penalty points on his licence. I was was over the moon served him right. When we left the Court outside he started to swear and mouth off so I said come on pal if you want to attack me I'll see you back in there charged with GBH upon which his wife/girlfriend or whatever grabbed him and marched him off.

The highway is not a playground.

Hi Lucy,

Could we please have details of the date, the court and the driver prosecuted please, I find this quite interesting.

Thanks.

If some muppet in usually a BMW or Audi overtakes me because he cant stand being behind or thinks that breaking the speed limit is ok, , if there job means they cant waste a second, or have to risk lives to get from A to B or cant get to Tesco quick enough, I just think they should take a good look at there lifestyle, the stress levels they put themselves through, then wonder why they have a heart attack or mental breakdown, me, I love life, I certainly dont want drive myself or others into a early grave.

Alan

. ..

I believe that the instruction and signage to "Merge in Turn" should be used at all times, as it is supposed to be the most effective way of keeping traffic flowing from two into one lane.

. ..

I agree.

There is a roundabout where I used to live which always had big tailbacks. Half the people believed that it was important to get in the right lane early, and 'defended' their lane against late comers. The other half used all the lanes available.

When a new sign went up saying 'merge in turn', most of the tailbacks disappeared.

A draft of the new highway code was going to introduce 'merge in turn' for all lane converges - roadworks etc. But unfortunately it didn't make it into the final version. So as this thread demonstrates, we're left with two groups of people, who both think their method is 'right'.

I've seen queues three miles long on the approach to roadworks - all in lane 1. The reason I remember it well was because I was visiting a business about a mile before the roadworks - and the best way of getting there was going up lane 2 - which was full of people straddling both lanes, moving out to make life difficult for me, blasting their horns etc - there was no way I could tell them I wasn't trying to get to the roadworks!

• Like 1

And 288 if it comes to that.

As the two rules seem to me to give different advice, albeit in different circumstances, is it possible that drivers follow only one of the rules in both circumstances ? This pre-supposes that drivers in general are familiar with and understand the Highway Code.

Recently I have seen temporary signs on the approach to incidents, where two lanes of slow moving traffic are required to merge into one, which read "Merge in Turn" Unfortunately, for most drivers, the signs are placed only a few yards from the merge point at road level where the road narrows cones commence. This can and does lead to drivers using the "through lane", who cannot see the sign ahead, using blocking tactics to prevent a build up of vehicles needing to merge. This can sometimes cause a tailback to another junction. Due to the position of the sign at road level the majority of drivers in the "through lane are not able to see the merge in turn sign as it is blocked from their view by the vehicles in the next lane. Perhaps these temporary signs should be placed in an elevated position ahead of the merge point so that all drivers are aware of the advice ?

The above often happens just after the Ardley junction M40 J10, more commonly known as the Cherwell Valley junction where there are four roundabouts within about a quarter mile of the exit. However, this problem has been recognised as part of the national pinch point programme and the matter is being addressed by alterations to the junction.

Hi Lucy,

Could we please have details of the date, the court and the driver prosecuted please, I find this quite interesting.

Thanks.

I will not discuss nor disclose and share in detail any part of our personal private life regarding any past events, this is an intrusion on our privacy, it's been dealt with and put to bed, thanks.

I will not discuss nor disclose and share in detail any part of our personal private life regarding any past events, this is an intrusion on our privacy, it's been dealt with and put to bed, thanks.

With respect, you brought it up. All you were asked was to substantiate what you claimed had happened. I respect the reason that you are not going to as it is behind you and an intrusion to your privacy, however others may draw incorrect conclusions about your story based on your reluctance.

• Like 3

With respect, you brought it up. All you were asked was to substantiate what you claimed had happened. I respect the reason that you are not going to as it is behind you and an intrusion to your privacy, however others may draw incorrect conclusions about your story based on your reluctance.

+1

That's your privilege, believe or disbelieve what ever you wish I'm not really bothered it's history now. I will not be bullied into discussing in detail which is what I have previously said.

That's your privilege, believe or disbelieve what ever you wish I'm not really bothered it's history now. I will not be bullied into discussing in detail which is what I have previously said.

No problem at all, I wasn't asking for your details, merely the court and the year where the case was heard.

I just find it odd that I can find no record of any such court case, nor do I believe the police would pursue such matters as this from a home video, so my cards on the table, I don't believe this to be fact.

Edited by nme2no1
  • Like 1

"Bullied"? Post #37 sounded like a polite request for information to me.

• Like 1

If you think it's bad when towing a caravan, try teaching people to drive!

It's hard enough trying to teach both new and relatively experienced learner drivers without the added problems of the behaviour of other drivers.

Every day I have to take evasive action to avoid accidents, some of which could be fatal, due entirely to the appalling standards of some experienced drivers - in fact I can't think of one day in 34 years of full time instruction when I've not had to do some form of accident avoidance due entirely to other drivers.

I travel on rural A-class single carriageway roads between towns with my more experienced drivers in order to reach the test areas and even if they are traveling at the national speed limit of 60mph, some drivers will still break their necks and risk death to overtake and get past so, it's not confined to just towing caravans.

The favourite is the older driver who decides he wants to get past the 'L' plate even though we're travelling at the speed limit and then nearly take the front end off our car as they return to the left and on top of that, they then slow down to a speed slower than we were travelling in the first place or suddenly stick their brakes on and turn off onto a side road.

To be perfectly honest I often despair at the behaviour of some drivers because I'm trying to teach my drivers to behave safely and responsibly on our roads while there are these idiots with a full licence whom I wouldn't trust with a television licence let alone a full driving licence, setting bad examples.

I really don't know the answer other than punishing bad or dangerous driving with immediate revocation of their licence until such times they can prove to an independent examiner that they are safe to drive on public roads - however, I won't hold my breath until it happens! :unsure:

Edited by adora
  • Like 1

I really don't know the answer other than punishing bad or dangerous driving with immediate revocation of their licence until such times they can prove to an independent examiner that they are safe to drive on public roads - however, I won't hold my breath until it happens! :unsure:

I've often said the same myself. You see appalling examples of driving on TV police shows, and the courts just give them a fine or a few months ban.

• Like 1

If you think it's bad when towing a caravan, try teaching people to drive!

It's hard enough trying to teach both new and relatively experienced learner drivers without the added problems of the behaviour of other drivers.

Every day I have to take evasive action to avoid accidents, some of which could be fatal, due entirely to the appalling standards of some experienced drivers - in fact I can't think of one day in 34 years of full time instruction when I've not had to do some form of accident avoidance due entirely to other drivers.

I travel on rural A-class single carriageway roads between towns with my more experienced drivers in order to reach the test areas and even if they are traveling at the national speed limit of 60mph, some drivers will still break their necks and risk death to overtake and get past so, it's not confined to just towing caravans.

The favourite is the older driver who decides he wants to get past the 'L' plate even though we're travelling at the speed limit and then nearly take the front end off our car as they return to the left and on top of that, they then slow down to a speed slower than we were travelling in the first place or suddenly stick their brakes on and turn off onto a side road.

To be perfectly honest I often despair at the behaviour of some drivers because I'm trying to teach my drivers to behave safely and responsibly on our roads while there are these idiots with a full licence whom I wouldn't trust with a television licence let alone a full driving licence, setting bad examples.

As an ex-ADI I agree with you, one of the best days of my life when I quit.

. ..

I very strongly believe that all drivers should have to do some top-up training every few years. Not necessarily a test.

It is madness that people can pass their test at 17 and never have to do a further moment's training, ever.

I get struck off from my professional body and/or incur a fine if I don't do my training, but its the trips in the car which are more likely to lead to a tragic loss of life.

I'm sure that many of the people driving nose to tail at 60mph don't have a clue that what they're doing is so incredibly dangerous. Just like the people on their phones. Or not looking properly. They get away with it most of the time, but if/when someone dies they run the risk of causing a fatality and being locked up for careless or dangerous driving.