2014 Swift Conqueror 645

Guest HappyWanderers

Guest HappyWanderers

We picked up our new caravan from Halleys dealership in Ayrshire, Scotland at the end of August and set off for a 3 week France holiday the following week. We are just back home so I thought a review of the caravan was appropriate.

The handover for the caravan was comprehensive, Audrey went through all of the features in detail for us. We had traded our Lunar Delta TI 2011 against the new Swift and there are some significant differences even though size wise they are similar. Some of my comparisons may be a little unfair to Lunar as I am comparing a 2011 model to a 2014.

The new caravan is a wee bit heavier but once on the back of our Sorento you would not know it, we also had a new Truma mover fitted as I am a poor reverser onto sites.

The caravan has the upgraded upholstery which looks great, we also love the high gloss cabinets and the sun roof. The Duvalay mattress was comfortable but we also use a heavy topper which probably negates the effect of the memory foam; that said the bed is very comfortable, and we like the fact that the mattress splits at the bed head to provide more day room to walk around when using the bathroom. My wife found making the bed as easy as the Lunar with no additional time or effort required for the split mattress.

The power supply unit is simple to use once I had read the manual again and is sited in the upper locker which is far easier to access than under the front seats; I also like the control panel which is simple to navigate and again is in my opinion better that the Lunar, with clear gauges.

The onboard water tank is great, the Lunar had auto switch over which was better than the Swift but on balance I prefer the siting of the Conqueror tank and the filling and emptying is far easier than with the Lunar.

The Alde system is very similar to the Lunar except the control panel has been improved and we also have an additional 3kw setting; that said, the system appeared to take longer to warm up the caravan than used to be the case with the Lunar, so i wonder if the pipe runs are configured differently.

I really liked the fact that we were provided at handover with an A4 sheet detailing the bleed points for the system, well done Swift for including this.

The rest of the equipment is broadly similar on both vans and worked well during our holiday. The fridge freezer is a Dometic which looks good and has a cool blue light inside, pity the winter cover is so expensive (£28 on ebay) and that I couldn't use the old Thetford one from the Lunar

I was surprised that the radio did not include an IPod facility, the model we have is a Kenwood KDC-161UG which doesn't include apple connectivity and is a shame because the next model up, the KDC-361U does have connectivity and is only £20 more at retail shops.

This is one of the very few niggles I have with Swift who also do not include ALKo locks as standard with the Conqueror, both the above were included with the Delta and in my opinion should feature in a top of the range model.

I like the Alarm system which in my opinion is superior in operation to the Delta and also like the TRACKER system which is offered instead of PHANTOM on the Delta.

Overall we are delighted with caravan and hope to have many years of use.

Isn't the Tracker on the Conqueror a "Tracker Retrieve" which means they only start looking for the caravan once you notify them? We were quite keen on the Swift, but when you need to upgrade the Tracker, add ALKO locks etc it became a non event although we both like the Swift caravan.

Also we did not find it as luxurious as the Lunar Delta TI. We cancelled our order at the last minute however we still have the Swift in mind although not happy about the one piece access door on the new models. Also we are not very keen on the sun roof as it makes the caravan too hot.

Hopefully you are enjoying your new caravan as much as we enjoy ours. :D

Accoring to the Swift website the 2014 Conqueror comes with wheel lock(s)

Safety and Security

Thatcham approved TRACKER Retrieve fitted as standard
AKS 3004 Stabiliser
AL-KO ATC trailer stability control fitted as standard
New AL-KO Secure wheel lock(s)
Smoke alarm
Carbon monoxide detector
CRiS indentity number etched to windows and caravan chassis
Concealed security data chip within caravan construction
Passive infra-red alarm system with tilt sensor and key fob operation
High security locks with convenient one key operation for all locks (in safety & security)

Brochure extract - Swift.jpg

Guest HappyWanderers

Accoring to the Swift website the 2014 Conqueror comes with wheel lock(s)

Safety and Security

Thatcham approved TRACKER Retrieve fitted as standard

AKS 3004 Stabiliser

AL-KO ATC trailer stability control fitted as standard

New AL-KO Secure wheel lock(s)

Smoke alarm

Carbon monoxide detector

CRiS indentity number etched to windows and caravan chassis

Concealed security data chip within caravan construction

Passive infra-red alarm system with tilt sensor and key fob operation

High security locks with convenient one key operation for all locks (in safety & security)

Brochure extract - attachicon.gifSwift. jpg

Think you might be looking at the 2015 models on the Swift site; the 2014 model came with receivers only. If you look again at the Swift page you will note that the Alko is stated as a NEW feature for 2015

David

It comes with the receivers but not the locks which have to be bought separately at about £250 each. The 2015 may come with the ALKO locks. The Tracker Retrieve is only "free" for the first 3 months. We know this as these were the reasons we cancelled at the last moment.

Many insurance companies will not give a discount on it as you have to notify Tracker if the caravan is stolen and if in storage this may be weeks before you realise it is missing. Two major downsides to what is otherwise a very nice caravan.

David, it seems I posted while yours was already in situ. :D

Edited by DeltaTIowner

Think you might be looking at the 2015 models on the Swift site; the 2014 model came with receivers only. If you look again at the Swift page you will note that the Alko is stated as a NEW feature for 2015

David

Ops so it is - Sorry all :blush: :blush: :blush: back in the corner I go

Guest HappyWanderers

Isn't the Tracker on the Conqueror a "Tracker Retrieve" which means they only start looking for the caravan once you notify them? We were quite keen on the Swift, but when you need to upgrade the Tracker, add ALKO locks etc it became a non event although we both like the Swift caravan.

Also we did not find it as luxurious as the Lunar Delta TI. We cancelled our order at the last minute however we still have the Swift in mind although not happy about the one piece access door on the new models. Also we are not very keen on the sun roof as it makes the caravan too hot.

Hopefully you are enjoying your new caravan as much as we enjoy ours. :D

You are correct about the tracker retrieve but that suits us as it is cheaper to renew and as we have the van in a gold secure site most of the year and in sight when with us on holiday we don't think we require Phantom.

I guess luxurious is a highly personal construct and we will have to disagree over that ;) ; we find more features of the Conqueror that are better for us which makes us prefer it to the Delta (bathroom layout, positive catches on doors, bed, mattress, lounge upholstery, on board water tank, power unit and control panel, fridge, kitchen layout and sink unit) these together with our opinion that the build quality is stronger all offset the additional cost of 2 wheel locks.

That said we have now had 2 Lunar, 2 Swift and 1 Elddis caravan and all have been good.

We are enjoying the van and thanks for the feedback

David

We have the 2012 Conqueror 630 and we got the wheel locks with the van.

Have they downgraded the Conqueror now that they have the Elegance ?

Overall we are pleased with the van but it has some let downs. Bathroom cupboard door delaminated as has the worktop next to the sink. Cupboard door by the telly comes loose. Cutlery draw used to open by itself on journeys even when virtually empty - now fixed. Cabinet at front of van - the drawer bottoms fell out because the magnets were too strong that held them in - fixed now - we had better draws in our first van - entry level Charisma.

Love the Bathroom and work space in the Kitchen. Bed is OK. Looking at other vans but can't find anything that has all the features that this has.

Seesaw

2012 Swift Conqueror 630 towed by Toyota Hilux Invincible