Review: York Beechwood Grange Caravan Club Site

peterjohn

Site up to standard, less than a mile from Park n ride into York,

On the same site as P n R is a ASDA, JOHN LEWIS, M&S, NEXT, usual fast food outlets and coffee places.

Plenty of room as opposed to the Rowntree Park site.

Click here to view the UK campsite review

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Agree with above. ...

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Good review.

I also agree that the CC "How to find us" directions for this site are very confusing and wonder if the Club's standard directions format is the cause of the confusion ?

When approaching a roundabout my Satnav advises "at the roundabout take the X exit" followed by "take the exit" when on the roundabout. The CC directions for roundabouts advise turn left or right with the exit number in brackets. It may seem a little pedantic but I always turn left off a roundabout, except for the Hemel Hempstead merry go round aka magic roundabout.

The "How to find us" for Beechwood Grange

From north west on A1237: follow signposts to Scarborough. At the double roundabout turn left (first exit) into road signposted local traffic only; then as above.

Unless the roundabout layout close to the site has changed since I last visited it is not what I understand to be a double roundabout, though it is possible that the local signing indicates a double roundabout. The next roundabout being on the A64 more than 100yds from the approach roundabout and irrelevant in the directions. Satnav would simply advise "take the first exit."

From the south west on A64: ignore the first signpost to the A1237 (signposted York, Thirsk, Harrogate). In 10 miles at the roundabout with traffic signals turn left onto A1237 (signposted York, Thirsk, Harrogate) and get into right hand lane. In 100 yards at the roundabout turn right (third exit) into road signposted local traffic only.

Where there are lane markings Satnav Sally would say "get into right lane and at the roundabout take the third exit.

Perhaps the solution is to use a Satnav for directions to Beechwood Grange as the CDC directions do not advise not to use one. ?

The road signs say it is a double roundabout and I have been around it this week and believe that is correct. ....however, friends coming to a rally there in dark missed it completely twice and ended up on ring road going whole way around and eventually being brought in by police!

If coming in past Clifton Moor you look for the Malton / Scarborough sign then do a sharp left otherwise next roundabout is Pickering!

geoff

The road signs say it is a double roundabout and I have been around it this week and believe that is correct. ....however, friends coming to a rally there in dark missed it completely twice and ended up on ring road going whole way around and eventually being brought in by police!

If coming in past Clifton Moor you look for the Malton / Scarborough sign then do a sharp left otherwise next roundabout is Pickering!

geoff

Thanks for the local knowledge.

When I missed the turning off the roundabout some years ago I was travelling alone to the site from the A64 and think that I may have miscounted the exits which took me onto the A1237 travelling north west. I had tried to memorise the CC guidance as it was BFIGAS (before I got a Satnav). When I realised my mistake I was able to turn round and re-trace my steps up to the roundabout. Seeing a no through road sign at the first exit I took the next exit which then took me back to the A64 roundabout. By a process of elimination I rounded the A64 roundabout and finally took the correct exit at the smaller roundabout. As I was going to the site from the A1 I could have taken the recommended route from that direction but I seem to remember at that time A1237 was not an easy route to take when towing.

Yes it is not the easiest site to locate,I once asked the wardens if a few more signs could be erected to make life a little simpler,I was told that they would like to but the LA won't let them.

Ian

Is walking access the P&R along pathways?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Is walking access the P&R along pathways?

David

It wasn't last time I was there. After the carvery on Malton Road there were no footpaths.

It is actually a fair walk to Monks Cross P&R. ..but unless they have moved it there is an ordinary bus stop outside the Pub. (Hopgrove)..goes to town. ...

li

This may help on finding site. . Google Beechwood Grange then look in Maps

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

Thanks guys, I will have a look at Google Earth.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I believe that when site first opened there was a sign on the ring road but council had it removed. ..

Geoff

One thing to bear in mind is that you can't walk dogs along the approach road to the site as it passes through a horse stud farm. If you want to use the P and R and want to take your dog you will have to carry it along the road.

A fish and chip van used to be on site one night but I can't remember which night.

Graeme.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

One thing to bear in mind is that you can't walk dogs along the approach road to the site as it passes through a horse stud farm. If you want to use the P and R and want to take your dog you will have to carry it along the road.

A fish and chip van used to be on site one night but I can't remember which night.

Graeme.

No fish and chip van anymore since it caught fire last year.

Ian

No fish and chip van anymore since it caught fire last year.

Ian

Oh dear - didn't know about that! It always seemed to do a good trade whenever I stayed there.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017