Help ! Thread Gone On Both Front Wind Down Stands.

Barry Sullivan

Hi there everybody, Im a newbie here and perhaps this has been posted elsewhere before, both front threaded bars have the threads worn to such a point now that the front stands/legs wont wind down fully, when winding down you hit the flat spot and the legs wont go any further down, I considered purchasing two new stands but the old bolts are very seriously rusted and the coach bolts are spinning, is it possible to replace the threaded bolt on both legs. I see at the nut or wind down end there appears to be a pin, do I hammer that out and then pull out the bars.

Many thanks for your help and advice in advance.

B

Hi Barry, my guess is that the steadies have been badly abused and I would go for complete new steadies.

You will be able to grind the old nuts and bolts off from underneath so as to cause little damage. Then tap the bolts out into the interior. obviously use new galvanised nuts and bolts. If the chassis is Al-ko then go on their website. if B. P. W. then go on theirs to find replacement steadies. I cannot think that replacing the screw and the nut will be easier than that.

Best wishes. ....Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Be careful if you are going to grind the nuts off has the bolt will get extremely hot !!!!

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

With particular reference to OP's initial comment about the bolts spinning is my post from the thread that Doosan links above:

If they don't undo, because the bolt is spinning, then apply a liberal dousing of WD40. After leaving it to do its work use a large screwdriver between the steady mount and the floor to lever the steady down. This helps the bolt head to dig in.

Tony

I know this works because I have done it.

Go to your local machine mart and buy a heavy duty nut splitter. They are not too pricey and will save all the aggrovation and potential fire risk of using an angle grinder.

A lot of good caravan dealers will stock steadies, mostly Alko though I think.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630