How Was Your Adria Summer?!

sunshinetours

All very quiet on this part of the forum these days, hopefully all are out enjoying their Adrias in the summer heat!

Anyone been busy with any recent mods or tips to share ?

Biggest investment for us this year has been a couple of Duvalays which have helped transform our previous only semi comfortable front bed along with a couple of additional supporting slats imbetween the pull out ones.

Thanks again whoever it was posted about lifting the front white faced "table" off allowing a fully flat sleeping area! My back is very grateful and after 17 days in Black Forest this summer was very happy that the bed was nearly as comfie as our one at home

No more major trips planned for us this year, maybe a few rallies and possibly a couple of CL's over winter if weather is good, but we have clocked up a few miles down to Cornwall, Normandy and Black Forest on various holidays this year and already planning next years adventures as well as looking at changing the tow car (purely due to age)!

You guys?

Edited by sunshinetours

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

We've had a fair bit of use this year, but mainly only weekends, we didn't manage a proper holiday this year.

Still more to come, we're having a long weekend in the Lakes next month, and will go somewhere in both November and December.

The 'van hasn't really needed much doing this year. I'm currently waiting on a delivery of new handles for the roof vents as they've all gone brittle and one has broken.

Also bought some sockets to add USB charger points.

Next year's plans are starting to formulate. We're doing Vendee for a couple of weeks, but deciding at the moment whether to take the van or hire a static.

We managed April may. July, August and hopefully will get away again for the kids at easewell farm woolacombe, that's our first ever season completed.

No sure the plans for next year as wife was diagnosed with breast cancer ( only 36 yrs old) in July, busy 12 months ahead.

Our Sportline PX got to the South of France after stops at Millau (Les Erables-great site by the Tarn ) and Lac du Salagou ( very laid back site and great to unwind ).

For such a small van fuel consumption continues to be heavier than expected but the van is amazing. The perfect van for a couple!

All I've done is made a small shelf above the door. Great for keys and sunglasses. Really professional job too. Says me!

Anthony sorry to hear the news hope all goes well and you are back enjoying making plans for future trips

Saying this is our first year of caravanning and only six months since we got our Sportline DT, I'm told by more seasoned caravanners that we've done quite well in managing to get away one or two weekends a month, and then a week in Dorset in May, a week in Bude in Cornwall in July and then a fortnight in August split between Dorset, CarFest and Surrey. Have got Somerset booked for half term week in October and trying to find somewhere that'll have us for New Year (recommendations welcome!). We'll probably have racked up a total of 40-50 nights away by end of the year, so I feel we've got a good return on our investment, which was a big worry at the outset. Of course, all this time away has meant the lawn at home now resembles a tropical rainforest, the cat has disowned us and our energy suppliers want to know why their profits have plummeted, but hey, our boys have had some amazing experiences and eat and look better and The Wife and I are far more rested and relaxed (once we got over all those initial domestics as we climbed that massive learning curve!)

Mods beyond Sportline spec have been addition of a mover (after nearly burning out my clutch on a particularly hilly site. .. don't ask: schoolboy/newbie error); external power socket (fab for awning fridge and tunes); adding cutlery tray in top drawer (ok, so it only involved using foam strips, extra-strength double-sided tape, patience and perseverence, but I was proud of it); a rather nifty grey water drainage setup (shout out to the Caravan Chronicles blog); and then too many purchases of items of varying use, ranging from Duvalays (v lovely) to drill and bits for steadies/awning pegs (time/spine-saver) to chocks (used once) and 2nd aquaroll (still in box)... and I'm in denial about how much we spent on a Kampa Carnival awning only to use it twice before SWMBO then bought a Kampa Rally Pro Air (remortgage and divorce proceedings pending. ..)

Frazzled father of two Minion-Ewok hybrids; driver of Santa Fe 2011 Premium 7 seat; refuge-taker in Adria Sportline DT 2014

We have managed 8 outings so far this year, but we normally keep going until around late November so should get a few more in yet. I would like to use the van all year round, but December and January are so hectic it's rather difficult to get away.

Mods this year were the electric heater element, Alko shocks, dimmer bulbs in the bunk lights, new red Adria stickers and a few tweaks to the shower to stop water getting near the door.

Next mod is to fit a WiFi camera to the rear of the van so we can see whats behind when towing, and also to help when reversing. This one is work in progress at the moment.

ATeamVan - Sounds like you have had a fantastic first year. Problem is on the second year you will find you want to try and beat your first years outings !

All I've done is made a small shelf above the door. Great for keys and sunglasses. Really professional job too. Says me!

Love the sound of that shelf above the door - that's the one thing I miss from our old Bailey. We always seem to misplace our car keys in the Adria. I feel another project coming on. ...

Edited by clever

Since we got our Sportline in May we have been to Wickham for 3 night, Longleat for a week and Dorset for 4 nights.

Trying our first CL in Oct half term near Bognor.

Currently adding a solar controller and 20w panel for top up when in storage. Next mod is a gas it refillable lpg tank.

Picked up a topper for front mattress.

Sunshine, how do you get the front table up, like you I would like to remove at night?

Cheers.

We have managed 8 outings so far this year, but we normally keep going until around late November so should get a few more in yet. I would like to use the van all year round, but December and January are so hectic it's rather difficult to get away.

Mods this year were the electric heater element, Alko shocks, dimmer bulbs in the bunk lights, new red Adria stickers and a few tweaks to the shower to stop water getting near the door.

Next mod is to fit a WiFi camera to the rear of the van so we can see whats behind when towing, and also to help when reversing. This one is work in progress at the moment.

ATeamVan - Sounds like you have had a fantastic first year. Problem is on the second year you will find you want to try and beat your first years outings !

Love the sound of that shelf above the door - that's the one thing I miss from our old Bailey. We always seem to misplace our car keys in the Adria. I feel another project coming on. ...

Clever

Do you have a photo of the shower modification, as we find the water comes through the door and makes the carpet wet.

Thanks

Carl

2010 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2. 0tdci 163bhp

2010 Adria Altea 542DT - with alloy wheels, alko shock absorbers, led orange marker lights fitted.

On our sportline dt we hang our keys on the sticking out bit on the back of the first directional spotlight on the left as you walk in

Clever

Do you have a photo of the shower modification, as we find the water comes through the door and makes the carpet wet.

Thanks

It's just a strip of white L shaped molding fitted to the edge of the wall next to the door. I have run it from the roof down to the shower tray and then a small piece across the shower tray edge. It just ensures that any water that gets past the shower curtain does not make it out the door and stays inside the shower tray.

bathroom door mod

bathroom door mod

I have tested it a couple of times and it seems to work perfectly. No more damp carpet.

Thanks, that looks good, did you just use silicone to hold it in place.

Carl

2010 Adria Altea 542DT - with alloy wheels, alko shock absorbers, led orange marker lights fitted.

Yes - a very thin line of silicone all the way down. Once pushed into place it holds it very firmly.

The strip should only cost a few pounds from any good DIY shop.

I think I got mine from Homebase.

It's just a strip of white L shaped molding fitted to the edge of the wall next to the door. I have run it from the roof down to the shower tray and then a small piece across the shower tray edge. It just ensures that any water that gets past the shower curtain does not make it out the door and stays inside the shower tray.

I have tested it a couple of times and it seems to work perfectly. No more damp carpet.

Excellent modification ;)

Like the shower mod, I was thinking of velcro to stick the shower curtain to the wall but think your mod may be better!

Another project this weekend to fix the plastic strip, so it gets chance to stick, before using the van later this month

Great idea

Carl

Like the shower mod, I was thinking of velcro to stick the shower curtain to the wall but think your mod may be better!

I was going to try Velcro, but this seems to do the job on its own. I left a very small gap between the top of the strip and the roof of the van, so you can trap the top of the shower curtain in the gap to stop it from moving away.

Another project this weekend to fix the plastic strip, so it gets chance to stick, before using the van later this month

Great idea

I just stuck it on with some white silicone. It grabs straight away and should be dry in a few hours.

Since we got our Sportline in May we have been to Wickham for 3 night, Longleat for a week and Dorset for 4 nights.

Trying our first CL in Oct half term near Bognor.

Currently adding a solar controller and 20w panel for top up when in storage. Next mod is a gas it refillable lpg tank.

Picked up a topper for front mattress.

Sunshine, how do you get the front table up, like you I would like to remove at night?

Cheers.

Jiffy just tap the white part above the slats upwards and should come up fine as only held in by dowels. Its not the lift up table above that but the "fixed" part below that hide the slats underneath. Its obvious once removed

Also added some 25mm tall slats imbetween the pull out ones for more support as found the cushions were sagging a little in middle. Store these under front bench during day and when towing

Duvalays are best things however about bed now - so comfy. Not cheap but best thing we have bought after trying cheaper memory foam toppers and SIM we already had

Clever like the shower mod, very neat may have a look at that but have never noticed water escaping on ours

Other mod we have done is a shiny new red A sticker, rather than older pink one, on front courtesy of Clever's ebay listings don't forget

HERE

Good to hear all about everyone's Adria adventures!

I had the water down the back of the sink by the outer wall too. Only happened when kids used soap in the left tray, a bit of sealer sorted that, also found that tap was difficult to put back in the holster and water was running down there.

I put a bit of olive oil on the o ring so now the tap sits in better and guess what, no water in the cupboard below.

We don't use it as a shower so hopefully that will sort it.

Sunshine thanks for the tip, I'm installing the solar at the weekend so I might have a look.

We got a mem foam topper from Argos that was 5 start, so far even with white board I slept better. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I used an offcut of uPVC window board cut to width and turned upside down. Its at a high level so you see the good side. I lined it with the non slip matting stuff and edged the upstand with polished ali trim -J section - to hold the matting in place.