Kampa Pumps For Air Awnings

John_b_45

We have decided to purchase one of the pumps made by Kampa for inflating the Air Awnings but are struggling to find any sources! Indeed, one supplier has a "discontinued" sign over the product.

According to Kampa the pump inflates favouring volume then switches to a compressor to complete pumping up to around 11. 5psi at which pressure it automatically stops. It is illustrated in their latest catalogue and on the web site.

I know that Kampa Max frequents this forum and will, no doubt, take an interest in the thread. I would be grateful if he could state clearly the position regarding the pump. It seems to be priced at around £99.

There are many pumps on the market but not designed specifically for the Air Awnings.

If the Kampa 2 stage inflator is indeed discontinued would Kampa please be so kind as to point me (and others) in the direction of a suitable replacement.

The image below is taken directly from the Kampa Site.

post-40823-0-26952300-1410802926_thumb.jpg

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Why not use a Vango Airbeam electric pump. Im toying with getting one for my kampa air awning. Plus its £30 cheaper

https://www. norwichcamping. co. uk/products/vango-airbeam-dc-electric-pump/

Why not use a 12v air bed pump? They can be bought for under £10 and come with multiple nozzles and will certainly put the necessary psi into the awning beams.

Not powerful enough, I bought one from Argos last year . Didn't have an impact on the awning . Because it was Argos I could take it back.

Both look the job but maybe this one is preferred! Assume pressure gauge is on it?

Would like to hear from Kampa Max though!

I have the one from yachtshop.

No it does not have a gauge but it has_a dial which you set the pressure required.

Then it automatically switches off when that pressure is reached.

Works well on my Honda inflatable.

The max pressure it will reach is 1 bar (14. 6psi)

2014 Sterling Elite Explorer pulled by 3L V6 Navara Now with Kampa Rally Air 390 Awning,and Powertouch AWD Mover

I have the one from yachtshop.

No it does not have a gauge but it has_a dial which you set the pressure required.

Then it automatically switches off when that pressure is reached.

Works well on my Honda inflatable.

The max pressure it will reach is 1 bar (14. 6psi)

Thanks for this. It does seem there are alternatives around that are better value than the Kampa. Still waiting for a response from kampa Max though.

Or theres this one:

http://www. amazon. co. uk/gp/aw/d/B00A1OBQZS?pc_redir=1408241088&robot_redir=1

Which i actually think is the same as the kampa pump

Edited by Scaramanga

But why has Kampa Max not contributed?

I presume he is still a member of this forum and should know exactly what the situation is with the pumps Kampa refer to and advertise!

Would you please confirm that the Kampa pump is still sold and if so where it may be purchased Kampa Max.

I have sent a personal message to Kampa Max and hope he will be able to offer some information very soon. I am sure I'm not alone in needing to know about pumps.

Thank you to those who have offered alternatives and I'm sure that if Kampa no longer sell a pump there are many suitable ones on the market.

Hi all,

I have been at a trade show this last week and then took a couple of days off, don't tell anyone, so have not been active on the forums.

I'll answer a number of the questions here.

We have decided to purchase one of the pumps made by Kampa for inflating the Air Awnings but are struggling to find any sources! Indeed, one supplier has a "discontinued" sign over the product.

According to Kampa the pump inflates favouring volume then switches to a compressor to complete pumping up to around 11. 5psi at which pressure it automatically stops. It is illustrated in their latest catalogue and on the web site.

I know that Kampa Max frequents this forum and will, no doubt, take an interest in the thread. I would be grateful if he could state clearly the position regarding the pump. It seems to be priced at around £99.

There are many pumps on the market but not designed specifically for the Air Awnings.

If the Kampa 2 stage inflator is indeed discontinued would Kampa please be so kind as to point me (and others) in the direction of a suitable replacement.

The image below is taken directly from the Kampa Site.

Item is out of stock for 2014. These will be available for the 2015 season, I wouldn't be surprised if these came in before 2015 as we are already having 2015 stock delivered.

Why not use a Vango Airbeam electric pump. Im toying with getting one for my kampa air awning. Plus its £30 cheaper

https://www. norwichcamping. co. uk/products/vango-airbeam-dc-electric-pump/

I have looked at this pump and it is not powerful enough to inflate our AIR awnings or AIR tents. Vango recommend 7 psi for their awnings whilst we recommend 9-11 psi. At 7 psi the awning would be too wobbly and would still require further pressure to give it its true strength.

Another manufacturer brought out a pump this last year they claimed could inflate our AIR awnings, however these were swiftly pulled from shelves as they would overheat, due to the volume of air and pressure required, and would melt.

Countless days have been spent looking at other pump alternatives, but currently the Two Stage Pump that we are selling is the best available as;

1. It can achieve both the volume and pressure of air required, most pumps can only do one not the other.
2. It pumps up the awning with relative swiftness.
3. At maximum pressure, it can not overinflate the awning. I recommend you max it out so that you have 11. 5 psi of pressure in the tubes!

Why not use a 12v air bed pump? They can be bought for under £10 and come with multiple nozzles and will certainly put the necessary psi into the awning beams.

Not powerful enough.

Hope this answers everything.

Kind Regards,
Kampa Max

Thanks Kampa Max

Good news!

Like I said in my earlier post.

The one I have pumps up my Honwave inflatable with ease 2. 7m long. There is a lot more air in this than in my Kampa Air 390. £78. 00 from Yachtshop. It comes in its own nice little bag, connects straight to the battery. Also has lots of different connectors.

Excellent bit of kit.

2014 Sterling Elite Explorer pulled by 3L V6 Navara Now with Kampa Rally Air 390 Awning,and Powertouch AWD Mover

Pity that there is no adaptor allowing you to use a normal air compressor like a Ring RAC 630 which can have the pressure set. We like the Kampa, but at £99 for the electric pump it is a bit much. Unfortunately we will have to use the electric pump!

Also what about this Kampa air pump on ebay at only £24? Also this Kampa 12v electric air pump for £16?

Edited by DeltaTIowner

Your Ring 630 would take an age to blow up the air awning and probably burn out before its even blown up(try inflating a airbed with one) The other 2 pumps you suggest simply havent got the oomph required. They will only inflate to a couple of PSI, whereas the Kampa air awning requires inflating to 11 PSI

Edited by Scaramanga

Like I said in my earlier post.

The one I have pumps up my Honwave inflatable with ease 2. 7m long. There is a lot more air in this than in my Kampa Air 390. £78. 00 from Yachtshop. It comes in its own nice little bag, connects straight to the battery. Also has lots of different connectors.

Excellent bit of kit.

I presume you use this pump for your Kampa Air 390? You say a dial can be set to limit inflation pressure to 11psi which the awning requires. In my case I would need to add on postage of £6. 50 (which is very reasonable). The Kampa pump would be collected from my dealer so no postage.

If Kampa pumps take as long to appear as the awnings then it will be next Autumn before one is available! Although I presume the promise of late 2014 early 2015 is a tad more reliable than the promises for awning delivery!

How long does inflation take?

How many amps does the pump need (I'm thinking of the 6amp available from the caravan 12 volt supply and my car)?

Weight is irrelevant - it lives in the car!

Impressed and with a saving for me of around £15. 50!

John

Havn't had chance to try on the awning yet.

But I am confident it won't be many minutes.

Max current draw is stated at 20 amps.

When I pump my boat up I connect it straight to a spare battery I have, or my car.

I don't think the 6 amp connector will be man enough.

Another question for Kampa Max then in view of the above!

What is the current draw of the Kampa pumps please? Are they designed to work directly from caravan 12v or car cig lighter outlet?

Another question for Kampa Max then in view of the above!

What is the current draw of the Kampa pumps please? Are they designed to work directly from caravan 12v or car cig lighter outlet?

The kampa pump draws c. 20-25a and comes with clips to connect straight to a battery

The kampa pump draws c. 20-25a and comes with clips to connect straight to a battery

That should be fun with the new Bailey Unicorn 3's where the battery is inside the van under the floor and in at least one case under the double bed!

Edited by kiaman