Coachman Fridge Efficiency?

Leedslad

I like the look of the smaller Coachman 'vans but I notice that the fridge vents are on the awning side, presumably to maximise on the interior space. Years ago I had a Swift Corvette which had the fridge at this side and on holidays in France (awning attached) the fridge didn't cool at all well so I would like to hear from Coachman owners who have used their fridges in these circumstances and whether they noticed a dropoff in efficiency.

Thanks, John. :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Some time ago I remember seeing a topic where someone fitted a computer PSU cooling fan to lower the ambient temperature close to fridge coils. You are correct in your observation that a fridge fitted on the side of the caravan where the awning is fitted will tend to have a high ambient temperature in that area.

Caravan fridges can only lower the temperature by about 30 degrees C below the ambient temperature. For example, if the temperature in the vicinity of the coils is 25C, the lowest temperature in the fridge will be about -5C. As this applies to all caravan fridges regardless of which caravan manufacturer they are installed by so I suggest that you ask for the topic to be moved to Accessories section where you may get more responses.

Thetford sell ventilator kits for higher than normal temps see link below

http://www. thetford-europe. com/download-product/ventilator-kit-refrigerators/

HTH's

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

We have spent six weeks in france with temps reaching 28/29 degrees and I did not have any problems keeping the ice frozen of the G & T's.

One one of sites the next caravan had its winter covers on. When I pointed this out he said it was not a problem as he never took them off!

Volvo V60 D5, Coachman VIP 2016, Isabella Magnum porch awning, powrtouch mover

Adventure before dementia

<p>

We have a model with the vents on the awning side and didn't notice any drop in performance when in France earlier this year. Mind you - the awning wasn't zipped up - we had the front zipped out. We did have an electric cool box with us as well, which meant that the fridge wasn't over-full, so maybe this helped the air circulate.

I suppose you could always remove the vents and put an electric fan on a table in the awning to direct cool air if it was needed.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

We had a problem last year, if we kept the awning closed up during the day,(as we would do at home). The fridge would defrost during the day and freeze up again during the night.

Solved it by leaving the sides down on the awning. On the way home, talking to a chap in the CL, who told me he had fitted PC fans as they used to go to Spain every year.

Even in UK temperatures, I feel the Thetford fridge is not as efficient as the old Electrolux we had in our 1992 Elddis.

We had a problem last year, if we kept the awning closed up during the day,(as we would do at home). The fridge would defrost during the day and freeze up again during the night.

Solved it by leaving the sides down on the awning. On the way home, talking to a chap in the CL, who told me he had fitted PC fans as they used to go to Spain every year.

Even in UK temperatures, I feel the Thetford fridge is not as efficient as the old Electrolux we had in our 1992 Elddis.

I would suggest that modern fridges are as efficient if not more efficient than older ones but our expectations of modern fridges are much higher than they were of older fridges. Twenty years ago the fridge in my caravan was only required to keep milk bacon and butter during mild temperatures.

Nowadays I would like to keep frozen food in the freezer section in addition to having a full chilled section but due to the limitations of evaporation type fridges as fitted in caravans I can only successfully do so when the ambient temperature is below 20C which enables the freezer section to be at -10C.

As I posted earlier, somewhere on this forum is a topic giving an explanation of how a PSU cooling fan from a PC computer can be used to improve the cooling capacity of fridges under higher than normal ambient temperatures.

Many thanks for making the effort to post comments for me folks!

John. :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?