First Trip To Southport From Glasgow With Caravan..route ?

Hi im taking the caravan to Southport CC next week and leaving from Glasgow. .

Ive drove down before with the car only . .but was wondering whats the best route towing the van

cheers

The easiest tow, but not necessarily the shortest, is M6 to junction 26 then M58 to junction 3 then A570 towards Ormskirk and Southport.

I assume you will be staying on the CC site in Southport? This is only a short walk to the town centre. I use the park and ride near the site.

Tom

Another route is through Preston, but it will take you through the middle of Preston.

https://www. google. co. uk/maps/@53. 7263388,-2. 7193669,12z

But I agree with Tom that the easiest tow is through Ormskirk.

This pub does reasonably priced grub and is a short ride/walking distance from the site.

http://www. tripadvisor. co. uk/ShowUserReviews-g191255-d2457990-r225986733-The_Fishermans_Rest-Southport_Merseyside_England. html

Enjoy you stay.

Regards,

Jim.

Edited by Guest

M58 is the way I'd go too

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Another route is through Preston, but it will take you through the middle of Preston.

https://www. google. co. uk/maps/@53. 7263388,-2. 7193669,12z

But I agree with Tom that the easiest tow is through Ormskirk.

This pub does reasonably priced grub and is a short ride/walking distance from the site.

http://www. tripadvisor. co. uk/ShowUserReviews-g191255-d2457990-r225986733-The_Fishermans_Rest-Southport_Merseyside_England. html

Enjoy you stay.

Regards,

Jim.

Trust a Pie Eater to go the hard way!

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

We went through Preston last Spring and apart from a few roadworks wasn't too difficult.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I remember the omskirk way taking me right up a hill to a viewpoint am I right

There is a very slight hill up to the church in Ormskirk, but being in the town (built up area) no view. The "hill" is so slight it is not worth mentioning. Ormskirk to Southport is really quite flat, I think in pre historic times it was a delta.

The Preston route is an alternative, but can get a little tricky onto the A59 if you've not done it bfore, also a lont of speed cameras along the A59.

Now were did I put those pies. :) (Edit: Used to live in Wigan)

Tom

Edited by Ranger1700

I remember the omskirk way taking me right up a hill to a viewpoint am I right

You may have left the M6 at J27 and travelled via Parbold Hill from which there is fine view.

The easiest tow, but not necessarily the shortest, is M6 to junction 26 then M58 to junction 3 then A570 towards Ormskirk and Southport.

I assume you will be staying on the CC site in Southport? This is only a short walk to the town centre. I use the park and ride near the site.

Tom

I would do everything I vould to avoid Ormskirk, the queues through there are legendary. From the end of the M58 turn left and then take the A5207 towards Formby and then on to Southport.

Or come off the M6 at the M65 then take the A582 towards preston and the down the A58 towards Southport.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

You may have left the M6 at J27 and travelled via Parbold Hill from which there is fine view.

Very nice scenic route solo, but quite a steep hill with a van on the back and country roads for quite a while.

I'd still recommend the Ormskirk route, but as Bill Lord quite rightly pointed out, try to avoid the rush hour.

Even a Mickey Mouser can do it :D

Regards,

Jim.

Very nice scenic route solo, but quite a steep hill with a van on the back and country roads for quite a while.

I'd still recommend the Ormskirk route, but as Bill Lord quite rightly pointed out, try to avoid the rush hour.

Even a Mickey Mouser can do it :D

Regards,

Jim.

I wasn't recommending the route. I was trying figure out which route another contributor had taken.

In my much younger days I would often take the Parbold hill route on a pedal cycle when going to Southport from east Lancashire. :o:rolleyes:

Thanks people for all your routes. ...Ill go thru them and have a wee look on google maps. ..

Im not a nervous driver. ..but just prefer. ..the easy way sometimes. .lol

I would do everything I vould to avoid Ormskirk, the queues through there are legendary. From the end of the M58 turn left and then take the A5207 towards Formby and then on to Southport.

Or come off the M6 at the M65 then take the A582 towards preston and the down the A58 towards Southport.

It's a while since I've been through Ormskirk so can't comment on the traffic. The route I had in mind from the M58 would come into the town from the St Helens direction and cross the A59. Hope that makes sense. Continuing on the M58 to Aintree involves either going through Thornton to join the Formby bypass or a dog leg via A59 through Maghull or on to Seaforth to go via Crosby.

Edited by MalH

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Suggest that it is the A59 (Liverpool Road) towards Southport.

If you are looking for a straight forward route then M6 too M58 (possibly the quietest motorway in the world ) run to end of M58 too switch roundabout and Down Copy lane pass POLICE station and straight run then through THORTON and FORMBY bypass .

A bit longer in miles but has straight has you will ever get .

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

The problem with the CC recommended route is there are roadworks on switch island at the end of the M58 as they are building a bypass through to Formby.

Ormskirk at peak times is busy and there are also market days on Thursdays and Saturdays.

If you want to avoid Ormskirk and the horrendous switch island, you can come off the M58 at J1, then at the roundabout take the second exit signed Maghull.

Take the 1st right (just past Ashworth Hospital) continue to the traffic lights at the end of this road and then turn right onto the A59. You then continue up to Ormskirk but turn left before the town centre thus avoiding the traffic. It is signposted to Southport.

Unfortunately there are also roadworks on the A59 in Maghull due to begin 30th September for 1 week.

I've never found Ormskirk a serious problem. it is busy on market day and at peak times, but approaching from St Helens direction, you are virtually into Ormskirk before you hit any traffic. Once past the church, which is the bottleneck, its straight down to the A59 junction, which you are crossing.

As its traffic light controlled at all the junctions the flow is smooth.

Tom

WE had a holiday in Southport a few years ago and followed the Caravan Club directions. Never again. They add almost 75 miles on coming from Scotland and I think the good road is good from the South but not the North. While on site we spoke to other people who had come from Scotland and they came by way of the Preston turn off. . On the way back we took the road to Preston and It did not go into Preston but skirted round the outside. Good road the whole way and this is the way we would go back to Southport again. This saved almost two hours on our outward trip.

Tom

This is the route we used in July and it was a dawdle.

One minor "beware". Watch the bend at the church in Orrmskirk (where the road splits in one-way system) as there is a stone wall next to the road and on coming traffic tends to be close to the centre white line.