Tree Sap

Chillipepper

While we were away this weekend we had to pitch under some trees when we took the awning down it was covered in tree sap. Do any of you fine people know how to remove it.

Many Thanks.

Rich

Swift Freestyle S6 TD Pulled by a Land Rover Discovery 3 or SWMBO's Freelander 2.

This happened to us earlier in the season after a short stay at Meathop Fell CC site. I go some warm-hot water, a cloth, wiped and rubbed the areas and left to dry, it all came off OK, it was only a sun canopy thankfully. We have used the canopy once since and all seemed fine.

Edited by thensum

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

With all the poles removed and the awning hanging from the awning rail I have always successfully removed bird droppings and stickiness from trees by sponging the awning roof with warm water. I then either soak up the excess moisture with a micro fibre towel or allow the awning to dry naturally whilst still hanging.

post-4269-0-05253500-1410784239_thumb.jpg

post-4269-0-25657200-1410784302_thumb.jpg

You mean something like this!.......we didn't have an option of a pitch and we suffered a coated awning and caravan roof. ...

Advice from Kampa Max to use just water to clean the awning, to avoid having to reproof, was taken and it took 6 days of gently lifting the gunge. ..this left a mottled roof outside but still waterproof.

The caravan is shown as it came home after a 200 mile journey through heavy rain!...It took 6 hours of power washing then a day of a sponge on a pole to get rid of it!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Isabella have recently brought out a range of cleaners etc.:-

tp://www. isabella. net/uk/accessories/maintenance-and-tools/details/isaclean

I dare say they would be suitable for other makes of awning.

Ian

Not as bad as that Geoff but very sticky didn't have time to clean on site as we were running late to get home so it was put away as it was. Looks like we will have to give it a good clean this weekend weather permitting.

Thanks for the advice all.

Rich.

Swift Freestyle S6 TD Pulled by a Land Rover Discovery 3 or SWMBO's Freelander 2.

My answer had two pictures which appear to have gone. ..somewhere. .

post-4269-0-11599100-1410792613_thumb.jpg

post-4269-0-53499600-1410792714_thumb.jpg

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Isabella have recently brought out a range of cleaners etc.:-

tp://www. isabella. net/uk/accessories/maintenance-and-tools/details/isaclean

I dare say they would be suitable for other makes of awning.

Ian

My advice would still be to avoid awning cleaners.

If you read the description it explains that you will need to re-waterproof the material after using it.

We suffered some small amounts of sap on our sun canopy about two weeks ago. I did what DeeTee recommended above and cleaned the whole sun canopy whilst it hung from the rail, leaving it to dry. Unfortunately, I couldn't remove all the small orange spots with just warm water and a sponge scourer (very soft) so will be bringing it home to treat further after our next outing. I read about the Isabella products, but have decided against them as they mention re-proofing may be required.

I will just use more warm water and some non-detergent soap flakes and hope that, with a little spot-rubbing, all be will be ok. They're not that noticeable, but I know they're there!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

This weekend we will lay it on the drive and get down on our hands n knees with a soft sponge and brush. No detergent thought as we don't want to re waterproof it. Hopefully it will come off.

Thanks for the response's folks.

Rich