Electric Cycle / Scooter

BOAC

If you have or had an electric cycle / scooter I would be grateful if you could provide the following information.

Make

Model

Price

Any reliability issues

Dealership helpfulness

Folding model or not?

Do you take it when touring?

If you had one would you like to have another and if not why?

Thank you for you replies. I am sure that the above information will be handy for many members considering buying one.

I did own one once - a folding type - and I used to take it in the back of the car when touring. Unfortunately - el cheapo Chinese that lasted a year, but I found it VERY useful at home and touring and I want another.

Attached is a photo from a member of this forum to show what is possible.

Its either Baggins or the Quadcopter !!!!!! :rolleyes::)

Thanks

BO

post-39081-0-33964500-1410778953_thumb.jpg

You need it to tow that mini van BO? :blink::blink:

Edited by Woodie106
  • Like 1

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Yes - I have one. I bought it from ASToys in Coventry. This is their website - http://www. folding-bikes. net/asbikes/

I've had mine for three years and it's been faultless. It folds, and the bike fits nicely into the back of my estate car. I take it with me when I go to Spain for the winter. I've seen other designs of bike from other makers, but all with the same battery and motorized wheel, so I guess the parts are bought in then assembled locally. The one I have appears to have been well put together because I've done almost 1000 miles on it without trouble. The welded joints are works of art.

The price of my model is around £600, but when I got it, it was nearer five.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

You need it to tow that mini van BO? :blink::blink:

Theres an idea Woodie. I wish I had your brains.

Here - that might just work too.

Yes - I have one. I bought it from ASToys in Coventry. This is their website - http://www. folding-bikes. net/asbikes/

I've had mine for three years and it's been faultless. It folds, and the bike fits nicely into the back of my estate car. I take it with me when I go to Spain for the winter. I've seen other designs of bike from other makers, but all with the same battery and motorized wheel, so I guess the parts are bought in then assembled locally. The one I have appears to have been well put together because I've done almost 1000 miles on it without trouble. The welded joints are works of art.

The price of my model is around £600, but when I got it, it was nearer five.

Thanks Jay.

Just the info I am looking for.

Any info on after sales service from the dealer please?

BO

I wish I had your brains.

I wish that too on occasion. ................... :blink::blink::blink:

• Like 1

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I haven't needed any after sales service, although a few months ago I was aware of the pedal assist not working as it should. The bike was performing almost as though the battery was switched off. Being someone who likes to do his own maintenance I looked into the problem. My findings were that the rotating magnets behind the crank wheel had stopped working so I rang the builder/dealer. Unfortunately they were closed, but I left my number to be called back. The call never came. However several days later I went on the bike and to my surprise, it was working perfectly. I think that when I last cleaned the bike, I was a bit enthusiastic with the hose pipe and water got into the magnet drum. Other than that fault, it's been no trouble.

• Like 1

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Thanks again Jay.

Here is a handy site for anyone thinking of . ...................

HERE

This looks okay too - just right for a caravan outing

HERE

BO

Edited because I want to see BOAC in big letters

Edited by BOAC

Thanks Rita. Trust you to put a spoke in my wheels.

I will have to do some research on this.

Regards

Pete

• 1 month later...

I haven't needed any after sales service, although a few months ago I was aware of the pedal assist not working as it should. The bike was performing almost as though the battery was switched off. Being someone who likes to do his own maintenance I looked into the problem. My findings were that the rotating magnets behind the crank wheel had stopped working so I rang the builder/dealer. Unfortunately they were closed, but I left my number to be called back. The call never came. However several days later I went on the bike and to my surprise, it was working perfectly. I think that when I last cleaned the bike, I was a bit enthusiastic with the hose pipe and water got into the magnet drum. Other than that fault, it's been no trouble.

Those magnets are a very common method of control - they are used in a disk that is often a push fit onto the crank shaft and rotate with it, the magnets then pass a small sensor that is fixed to the frame. Because the disk is a compression fit it can move along the shaft - sometimes too far from the sensor and their effect is lost or becomes too weak. Perhaps this is what happened - the water weakened the signal (then dried) or the disk moved too far along the shaft.

Moving the disk closer is easy - just twiddle between finger and thumb with a bit of longitudinal force. ..

Juicy Bike Electric Bikes

0845 004 2330

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.