Holes In Heiki Roof Light Blind

Chris and Rob

We have a 2013 Coachman and two small holes (about the size of small knitting needles) have appeared in the blind. Has this happened to anyone else and what can be the cause?

Volvo V60 D5, Coachman VIP 2016, Isabella Magnum porch awning, powrtouch mover

Adventure before dementia

<p>

Yes same with us, it seems, seeds and leaves fell onto the closed blind whilst the roof light was open, then when opened in the mornining the detritus was rolled up and compressed causing the holes?

I just us clipped the blind from the runners / guides held it down and hoovered all the leaves and seeds off. Just live with the microscopic holes now. ...

We have what looks like lines of very small pinholes on our blind, particularly on the nearside, where the roller is. Think it's been caused by the surface of the blind rubbing the plastic edge when it retracts. Now try to hold the blind up a little bit when retracting so it doesn't rub. Haven't reported it though. These blinds were much better when they were smooth plastic, it's the rough surface which catches, I think!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

we have them on our coachman do not know how they happened,i can imagine the price to replace, but as the holes are small we just learn to live with it,

Coachman festival 580-4 -Freelander 1 TD4

Its not just Coachman as we have them on our Bailey but so many it looks like the sky at night except our sky is grey and not black!

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

If you are referring to the concertina type blind then we also have the same problem in our Lunar. TBH I cannot see these blinds lasting the life of the caravan before they fall apart. I think the whole skylight needs to be replaced to repair the problem.

If you are referring to the concertina type blind then we also have the same problem in our Lunar. TBH I cannot see these blinds lasting the life of the caravan before they fall apart. I think the whole skylight needs to be replaced to repair the problem.

We had the concertina blind in the small Heki over the bed in our previous Bailey replaced due to wear along the creased edges, they didn't replace the whole skylight though. The type we're referring to above are the big Heki Rooflights over the lounge area - with pull out roller blind one side and pull out fly screen the either, which clip together in the middle.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I have had this problem of holes in the blind on a Hecki roof in my Series 1, Bailey Unicorn Madrid. Replaced twice under warranty. This summer when hot in the Pyrenees and the roof closed I just pulled the net over when we were out and it kept the van cool up that end. Only used the blind itself at night. All appears ok. Seems the answer to a problem. :)

We had small holes in the centre of the blind in one of our Bailey's. It was replaced but from memory the blind in the high point of the folds was catching the head of one of the frame mounting screw.

This was a common (manufacturing) fault when I bought my Valencia in 2011. I (apparently!) was 'lucky' that only the one above the rear bed was affected. The concertina blinds are also lasting well. How 'lucky' can anyone get LOL?

I was provided with a replacement int. cassette & surround (cost is now about £170 inc pp !!!!!) but have yet to fit it. I found it much less trouble to use gaffer tape over the holes (on the outside). As a quick 'bodge', & to see how long it would last, 3 1/2 years on it has been an unqualified success. So I don't intend changing it any time soon, if at all LOL.
This is very quick & easy to do & difficult to see from inside the 'van. Strangely the front one is as new though they get the same amount of use.

A tip I was given, but have not tried, is to apply 'Tippex' correction fluid to any small spots, but mine were much too big for that.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

• 3 weeks later...

We had holes on our 2014 VIP the first week away, dealer replaced it under warranty only for ithe hole to appear again after about two weeks, I agree with Flamez, it's leaves etc. when you open the heki with the flyscreen in place,

Les