Just Bought Our First Caravan

Mooma

Hello

Thought I'd come and introduce myself, after lurking on the boards for a while, gleaning lots of really useful advice and information.

After 20 plus years of owning and restoring VW campers while our family grew in size, we finally decided we needed something bigger. So, we started researching caravanning and said a sad goodbye to our last camper back in July of this year.

We were set on buying something with a bit of history/character about it. Being used to vintage campers we're used to a more basic camping experience, so older vans that don't have hot water etc don't worry us. We definitely didn't want something that had been radically changed or updated, as we much prefer the original/retro look to Cath Kidston floral patterns and also felt we would be more likely to find an honest van if it hadn't been wallpapered/painted etc. Finally we decided not to go for anything too 'heritage', as with this being our first caravan, we didn't feel confident of being able to do a more historical van justice.

We've spent the last few months doing lots of research and actively looking and have viewed some truly horrendous caravans during that time, some you could practically smell before getting out of the car and others literally dripping with damp. For a while it seemed that every time we managed to find a half-decent one we were pipped to the post and they were gone within hours of being advertised. (I blame George Clarke and his 'Amazing Spaces'. ;) )

I should add that we were/are perfectly prepared to do a certain amount of work, willing to cut out and repair a bit of damp/rot here and there etc, but all we seemed to be able to find were vans with frames that were rotten all the way around and would need a full rebuild - until today.

Today we were lucky enough to purchase an absolutely delightful 1979 Eccles Topaz. It's been dry stored for most of it's life, little used, but serviced every year and is in almost as/new condition. It was love at first sight! :D

We are all really excited to finally be the proud owners of our first caravan. The kids are busy thinking up a suitable pet name for 'her' (apparently it's definitely a her) and none of us can wait to go for our first little holiday.

So that's us in a not very small nutshell.

Looking forward to chatting with some of you from time to time.

Thank you. :)

I'll give it a go, but am not really sure how to put photos up and I'm not the world's greatest photographer. :blush:

It worked! :D

Off to the repair and restoration section now for a bit of advice.

post-69614-0-72350400-1410871925_thumb.jpg

post-69614-0-12200100-1410871946_thumb.jpg

post-69614-0-80745000-1410872232_thumb.png

post-69614-0-35233300-1410872251_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mooma

Welcome :)

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

Thanks for the welcomes.

I'm just starting to get to grips with finding my way around the forum - I think - and hope to meet/chat with you all on the boards sometime. :)

It looks in fantastic condition, enjoy your first trip and many years of Caravanning - it's an amazing lifestyle.

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

Welcome, I started on here a few weeks ago and I have been made to feel very welcome and everyone is very helpful and supportive.

The van looks lovely, reminds me of our old TE Sprinter when I was a lad.

Have fun!

We only went in to have a look!!!

Welcome :)

What a beauty, we've seen a few old caravans on our travels and they always have more character then new. Enjoy!

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

Welcome Mooma. Looks like you've unearthed a gem there, and love the 50mph sticker on the back! How many years ago was it upped to 60?