There's No Fool Like An Old Fool !

JamesF

Hi people.

I'm relating this story in the hope that it may prevent anyone being as daft as I have been!!

Last month on a CL my Motor Mover ( Ego) stopped and cut out whilst I was manoeuvring to the pitch, I thought that the Leisure Battery must be on it's way out ( over 5 years old) so when the same thing happened on the way home ( I had to REVERSE ONTO THE TOW BALL!!) I anticipated replacing my battery before the next trip.

Sure enough when I got home I HAD TO REVERSE THE CARAVAN into it's storage space on my drive!! ( I'd not done that for years).

Now just to make sure I wasn't going to spend money on a new leisure battery unnecessarily I:

First put a spare battery in the van and tried that - I was surprised that it still cut out after a few yards!!

Then I checked the battery terminals

Then checked the motor mover switch ( bit of contact cleaner)

Then the Mover wiring to the control box

Then put my original battery back after charging it with a separate charger

STILL no improvement - cut out after a yard or so

Then put a meter across the leisure battery terminals and watched it as I tried to operate it and low and behold the voltage barely dropped even when it cut out !!???

Confused -I was!!!

THEN THE PENNY DROPPED!!!!!!!!

THE BATTERIES IN THE MOTOR MOVER REMOTE WERE DEAD :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Oh well -it now works perfectly and I've had a good check on all the low voltage/high current connectors and I've not had to replace the main battery (yet) in fact it's remarkable how well it actually performs :)

Stupid thing is - I consider myself to be reasonably qualified and experienced I low voltage circuitry ( ex-BT power planing amongst other things) and I missed the obvious.

Moral of the above - THINK and then THINK AGAIN :)

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

I HAD TO REVERSE THE CARAVAN into it's storage space on my drive!! ( I'd not done that for years).

And possibly stay in practice with old skills just in case! :ph34r:

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Best to get into the habit of replacing the battery every new year. My Powrtouch lights up with two LED's so you know if the remote has power.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Best to get into the habit of replacing the battery every new year. My Powrtouch lights up with two LED's so you know if the remote has power.

Yes my eGo lights up when it's on as well - and it did - but I hadn't twigged that the cut out was the handset batteries dying rather than the Mover switching off (like it does when you've been running for a long distance and the motors are too hot1)

Doh!!

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

I remember when I was very young and started tinkering with TVs and radios spending about half an hour trying to work out why a TV had no picture.

Then I checked the fuse.

Tony

I change the battery in the remote at the start of the season and use the removed battery for the smoke alarm.

Brian.

Couldn't understand why one of my two monitors suddenly stopped working! Eventually realised I had caught the on/off switch which is sort of within the bezel and only needs touching to operate!

I'll bet most people have story to admit to but hey ho - we are human after all!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg.