Alko Hitch Handle Popping Up Whilst Towing

Iwantacaravan

On our first ever caravan outing to the New Forest last week all went well. The only issue we had was that on the way home the handle on the alko hitch popped up twice. Can anyone tell us why? Are we doing something wrong? The van was serviced before we went and the pads and hitch were passed.

Hi Iwhantacaravan and welcome to CT are you sure the hitch was fully engaged by lifting the hitch to see if the rear of the car lifts up.

Ford Mondeo Estate Titaniuim TDCi mk4 (16v 140 BHP) (2008)

Towing Elddis Odyssey 544 (2008) Truma mover S towing at 98%

My web site caravanlife. updated 28/5/2017

Is it the ALKO stabiliser that is red or pinkish?

It does sometimes take some force to push it down into place. Was the tell tale up? Signifying that the ball was up into the hitch?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Sometimes the stabiliser handle can touch the handbrake lever - ALKO issued a bulletin about it several years ago.

The cure was to gently (remember GENTLY) bend the handbrake lever sideways slightly (no more than 5-10mm) away from the stabiliser handle so it can't touch.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I agree with matelodave as to the most probable cause. I had it happen to me on one caravan of the vintage your Abbey is!

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

This was the first problem I had when I joined C. T. The advice I was given by members was as Matelotdave has given and it cured it.

Roll on C. T. members. :)

Do you have the alko towball.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

If it is catching the handbrake, you may see tell tale scuff marks on the red sleeve on the handbrake.

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

It doesn't scuff, it just flicks up the stabiliser handle when the van tilts - like when you go over a speed bump

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

It doesn't scuff, it just flicks up the stabiliser handle when the van tilts - like when you go over a speed bump

Mine Scuffed

You can't have contact, without marks

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

Do you have the alko towball.

+1

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. We do have the alko towball and the hitch is red.

My other half does the hitching and he does make sure it's engaged by lifting the hitch.

I've had a look and the hitch doesn't hit the handbrake when I move it but obviously I'm just looking at it when it's not hitched to the car. Could it move more when towing? There is a clearance of about 3/4" between brake and hitch.

Also it didn't happen on the journey there, just on way back.

When you push the handle down the red button pops up so you can see the green - should the handle lock down with a click, or does literally just push down?

It sounds to me that we're mixing up two things here. The actual hitch - the black handle below the big red Alko handle - incorporates the red/green telltale button. When correctly hitched the handle should sit back down flat and the telltale should show green. THEN the big red handle is pushed down to engage the stabiliser. With unworn pads this generally requires considerable force to click it into place.

Tony

Edited for clarity.

Edited by TonyJover

I've had a look and the hitch doesn't hit the handbrake when I move it but obviously I'm just looking at it when it's not hitched to the car. Could it move more when towing? There is a clearance of about 3/4" between brake and hitch.

Also it didn't happen on the journey there, just on way back.

When you push the handle down the red button pops up so you can see the green - should the handle lock down with a click, or does literally just push down?

Yes it does move more when towing. To check the full movement, hitch up to the car as normal and push the red handle down.

Then reverse the car and you will see the hitch move back. Check that the red handle remains well clear of the brake handle.

The red button pops up showing the green as soon as you put the hitch on the towball before you push the red handle down.

Brian

Ah thanks for that Tony and Brian. I will tell my other half. I'm wondering if the pads are worn now, although when serviced a week before our trip the pads were passed as ok. Should they be changed as part of a service? We called the service guy yesterday and he said he will come and have a look but didn't know why stabiliser handle kept coming up!

http://www. al-ko. co. uk/pages_faqs/stabiliser. html refers to the problem.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/3269-al-ko-stabiliser-releasing-itself/

and

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/39359-alko-stabiliser-releases/

are two quite ancient threads on the topic here.

I can't find any pictures to show the issue, though. .. or how to correct it for the OP / service guy. .. (anyone got some?)

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

My fathers Alko handle hits the hand brake when braking, when the dampener moves inwards. What we did was to adjust the handbrake slightly and click it up one notch so that it is clear but not engaging the brakes.

I've been 'vanning for years and never heard of this problem. Sometimes this Forum is a real eye opener!

The stabiliser arms keep lifting up when I travel.

The most likely cause is the handbrake handle catching on the stabiliser handle when braking.

Gently tease the handle away from the contact point - 5mm should be sufficient. Whilst doing this, make sure you support the base of the handbrake with a block of wood to stop it coming off the ratchet wheel.

John. :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

I also have never had the stabiliser handle lift up with three vans I have this facility on. In fact on my present van the handle is getting so stiff it starts to bend a little getting it activated. Maybe its time for a lubrication of the sliding parts. Has anyone had this problem and cured it. Sorry for hijacking this thread but it seemed the best place to put my query.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

Ilooked at the Alko web site and downloaded the manual for my model (AKS 3004). There was little about lubrication apart from a few small arrows and the advice about only using a thin film of grease. I stripped the handle off, took the stabiliser pads out and cleaned them as instructed by using emery paper and brake cleaner spray. Refitted everything putting thin film of high temperature grease on moving surfaces making sure non gets near the pads. All seems to work well now checking it with a spare towball mounted on a metal plate. Also cleaned car towball with emery paper and brake cleaner spray just to be sure.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

• 1 month later...

I had this same thing happen a couple of weeks back, put a bit of sticky tape on the handbrake lever at the front and sure enough when braking it hit the stabiliser and pushed it up.

no makr on the stabiliser but once I bent the handbrake lever no more problem.

Disgusting that alko know about this yet never done a recall on ALL their chassis that this will happen to at some point.

simply by making a bent lever would of solved a simple problem. but hey ho that's too technical I suppose .

• 2 weeks later...

Philnjack100, I have a Bailey Scorpio and have a 2004 fitted, which I haven't used until today, and only realised how far back the stabiliser slides, I am sure it will hit the hand brake, I take it you bent the handle sideways to the drivers side not up?