Modify Front Dinette To Take Extra Bunk Across Front Window.

Hope I might get some ideas from all you D. I. Y ers out there.

We have a two berth Hymer and wish to make some sort of bunk over the front table across the front window in order to accommodate our grandchild on the odd occasion. Ideally it will not be screwed to anything important and would need to be able to take in down and leave back home when not being used. I have a few ideas of my own but would welcome others from those who have maybe done this sort of thing.

My D. I. Y. Skills are quite comprehensive and wood or metal or aluminium would be considered.

I welcome your input. .......Peter.

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Selling it at a later stage may be an issue. Maybe better to get a 4 berth caravan instead of modifying the current one. Can't you use a stretcher on the floor as it is only the odd occasion?

Don't want to buy another make of van . Don't mind the odd fixing here and there but would prefer them to be hidden The Hymer 4 berth is too long for my driveway, and much too expensive now. ......Peter

Retired and loving it.

My 1970's Sprite Alpine S has a removable bunk.

I'll take some photos for you when I go into work, as I think that the design may be just what you need.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

My 1970's Sprite Alpine S has a removable bunk.

I'll take some photos for you when I go into work, as I think that the design may be just what you need.

Thank you Wunny. .....Peter

Retired and loving it.

The bunks that are fitted to UK vans aren't actually removable, in the sense that when deconstructed you're left with a framework and base folded against a wall. By extrapolation that means you have to have a flat wall to fix it to in the first place.

I've heard of a few people on CT who've removed the bunk because it saves weight and provides a bit more space, maybe one would be happy to trade.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I know what you mean Andy, As you know I have a Hymer and one of the problems with this is the anti condensation boards which come up the sides about 30 cms. It's not going to be an alternative to put a cot in the middle either as we use the van with 2 singles instead of a double. ..Peter

Retired and loving it.

Some layouts of Hymer Eriba Troll were offered with the option of a fourth berth across the front, over the single dinette. It was removable but as I recall was more of a hammock than bunk, almost like stretcher where the poles/handles fitted into cups on either side wall. The cups were screwed into the tubular steel framework of the Eriba Touring, something you don't have on a Nova.

Hi Gumdrop, yes it is but it would have to be parallel with the front window going across the bottom of the 2 single bunks underneath

. ....Peter

Andy, I was thinking more in terms of a stretcher bunk rather than a solid bunk as storage would be easier. ......Peter

Retired and loving it.

I made the trip into work to take some photos for you. Hope they are of some help.

Caerphilly-20140914-00367_zpse6a8455d.jp

Fixings

Caerphilly-20140914-00368_zps6d1e133c.jp

Caerphilly-20140914-00369_zpse2ca6645.jp

Caerphilly-20140914-00370_zps6c575980.jp

Caerphilly-20140914-00371_zpsd7ad1512.jp

Bunk Storage

Caerphilly-20140914-00372_zps68ea9749.jp

Caerphilly-20140914-00373_zps7b3a56cc.jp

Bunk location

Caerphilly-20140914-00374_zps2b8a705f.jp

Caerphilly-20140914-00375_zpsa70e797f.jp

Caerphilly-20140914-00376_zps934d424c.jp

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Thanks for that Wunny. Ah yes, I remember it well from my old Sprite Alpine days.

Problem is I cannot put those wooden battens either side because there are side cheeks that run up either side and stick out about 50mm . Plus I am not sure where the strengthening pieces are in the sandwich as Hymers don't have any timber as such to make the body rigid, it's already sorted with the closed cell polyurethane insulation which sticks to both inside and out side panels.

One reason why I would like it to be freestanding if possible.

P. S. Nice pictures though. I may go and photograph the inside where it would be going to see if there are any more ideas out there. ...Peter

Edited by peterjohn

Retired and loving it.

Thanks Gumdrop, will have a good look to see if I can find it. ...Peter

Retired and loving it.

Gum drop, Can you please tell me which article it is on the Eriba site? I cannot seem to find it. ..Peter

Retired and loving it.

post-42837-0-86767600-1410880537_thumb.jpgpost-42837-0-00245600-1410880566_thumb.jpgpost-42837-0-64954700-1410880590_thumb.jpg

As you may be able to see, there is rather a problem as to where to put anything here, that's why I was hoping for something freestanding.

Retired and loving it.

Gum drop, Can you please tell me which article it is on the Eriba site? I cannot seem to find it. ..Peter

Sorry I have searched but cannot find the post,

I will look again later

attachicon.gifP1000955. JPGattachicon.gifP1000956. JPGattachicon.gifP1000957. JPG

As you may be able to see, there is rather a problem as to where to put anything here, that's why I was hoping for something freestanding.

It looks to me as if there are all sorts of issues trying to fit something in that space. A freestanding frame would be quite complicated as it would have to rest on the benches, which would mean removing all the cushions when in use. It would need to be able to be broken down so it could be easily removed. It would appear that the worktop of the front cabinet is at the probable best height. You'd have to make sure the was adequate clearance at the side windows, otherwise the blinds won't draw down.

I sort of remember the one Rod is referring to and I think it was over the single dinette at the front of a 540. That would've meant that part of the structure could use the floor by the door, but I don't recall how the other part where the nearside seat abuts the washroom wall was handled.

Thanks Rod and Andy for your time, it does seem to be a head scratcher doesn't it?

I will keep on thinking this one out, who knows, maybe something will pop up somewhere :D . ....... Peter

Retired and loving it.