Re-Plumbing The Gas?

edessex

I've just picked up an early 1980's caravan, and the gas work looks fairly original. It has had the oven removed (assuming there was one fitted), but the hobs are still in place.

I was thinking about re-plumbing everything, to make sure it's all safe. What are the currently advised materials? I. e. copper piping, plastic piping, all hose?

Are the hobs prone to faults, i. e. should I change them as a matter of course?

Thanks in advance!

I've just picked up an early 1980's caravan, and the gas work looks fairly original. It has had the oven removed (assuming there was one fitted), but the hobs are still in place.

I was thinking about re-plumbing everything, to make sure it's all safe. What are the currently advised materials? I. e. copper piping, plastic piping, all hose?

Are the hobs prone to faults, i. e. should I change them as a matter of course?

Thanks in advance!

To be honest, if you need to ask these questions you should get a qualified gas fitter to do a check and any work necessary.

However, all pipework should be copper with compression fittings apart from the hose from bottle regulator to the inlet pipe connection in the gas locker. This hose is dated and, preferably, should be less than 5 years old and free from damage.

I can only echo the previous post, if you need to ask you really should be seeking professional advice.

+1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

To be honest, if you need to ask these questions you should get a qualified gas fitter to do a check and any work necessary.

However, all pipework should be copper with compression fittings apart from the hose from bottle regulator to the inlet pipe connection in the gas locker. This hose is dated and, preferably, should be less than 5 years old and free from damage.

Had my dealer fit a new hose and it is over 5 years old.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

The gas installation MUST conform to the current regulations, even if you do it yourself, BUT, if you do not know what the regulations are, then DONT attempt it.

You only get one chance with gas, get it wrong and it WILL kill you.

Get a qualified LPG engineer to do it for you.

Had my dealer fit a new hose and it is over 5 years old.

The time starts when the first gas is passed through the pipe, so 5 year old hose is still OK, just be aware of when it is changed and if it is low pressure hose, change it every year, high pressure, every 3 years.

I asked on here first as I know the standards change, before I do ANY work I tend to research into what I'm doing, but I find asking on forums is generally a good way to start, as people seem to point in the right directions.

Thank you for your concerns though. ..

Edited by edessex

Cooper pipe, compression fittings.

Btw, few years ago I did my old van, gas and electrics, I used the current regs, they were called common sense. I do not condone anyone copying me, but if you do, use common sense.

This is not a dress rehearsal.

1980s caravan would be copper pipes, brass unions and some rubber hoses. ... just as today's caravans are. Would you seriously re-plumb a 1980s house gas if you were not replacing all the appliances and needed to because the new appliances exceeded the capacity of the old installation? No. So why do it on a caravan?

You can probably see all the pipework, and joints to see if any have suffered abuse or damage and hence might need renewing. .. but DO:-

1. Replace any rubber hoses with new.

2. Replace the regulator with a new one.

3. Get a qualified mobile caravan technician ( test and check all the main safety items (gas, mains, brakes etc. ,.) both for your and our peace of mind. They'll be able to advise you on your caravan's installation and if it needs work to update it.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

The gas installation MUST conform to the current regulations, even if you do it yourself, BUT, if you do not know what the regulations are, then DONT attempt it.

You only get one chance with gas, get it wrong and it WILL kill you.

Get a qualified LPG engineer to do it for you.

The time starts when the first gas is passed through the pipe, so 5 year old hose is still OK, just be aware of when it is changed and if it is low pressure hose, change it every year, high pressure, every 3 years.

No it was over 5 years old when he fitted it,

Regards, David

The current appliances are a heater, a twin hob/grill, seemingly a light, piping exists for an oven, but it looks like the piping was just undone and left open, a mains fridge was put in its place.

The regulator is an 'on bottle' type. I would be replacing all rubber hoses anyway, but there isn't a great deal of pipework due to the size of the caravan, so might as well replace it as well.

The heater is being removed, and not replaced, so piping to that is redundant, and may as well be removed.

The light, if it is actually related to gas, will be removed anyway, as all lighting is going LED.

The hob will be tested, any faults and it will be replaced.

I'm not yet sure if I will be refitting an oven, but will likely put the provisions in.

I'll be re-doing a lot of the wiring as well, and what little 240v items there are will be removed.

As said get the gas leak tested after you finish to make sure it is sound and don't use normal plumbers PTFE on joints.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

It's ok, I've got a couple of rolls of the gas safe tape to hand anyway.

I've seen mention of bulkhead mounted regulators, is there any benefit over the bottle mounted ones? Or are they just used in 'vans with more appliances?

I'm guessing in my case (where I'm only running hobs, and possibly later one small oven), I'm best with all low pressure stuff?

No joints should need ANY tape if done correctly.

If you intend completely replacing the gas pipework it is classed as a new installation and MUST conform to current regulations

and pass a pressure test as well as a leak test and be certified by a qualified LPG engineer.

As a new installation it MUST have a bulkhead regulator and the appliances MUST be suitable for use on a 30mB supply.

The installation MUST comply with the correct pipe sizing .

As a matter of information, if you undertake the work yourself it will be impossible to get a LPG engineer to sign your work off and issue a certificate .

No self respecting engineer will sign off anyone elses work as they cannot guarantee its safety or that it has been installed correctly .

edessex

The title of this topic ends with a question mark. It would therefore appear that you are asking a question presumably about the advisability of not only re-plumbing the gas supply to appliances in your 30 year old caravan, but making provision for future appliances.

The consensus of replies, including replies from very experienced respected and well qualified contributors in caravan servicing, seem to me to be saying that it is not a DIY job.

With the greatest of respect for your enthusiasm please do not attempt this task without at least reading the appropriate gas installation regulations. When you have read them you will realise that unless you become appropriately qualified you are forbidden by law to undertake the project.

DeeTee

Edited by DeeTee

It's ok, I've got a couple of rolls of the gas safe tape to hand anyway.

I've seen mention of bulkhead mounted regulators, is there any benefit over the bottle mounted ones? Or are they just used in 'vans with more appliances?

I'm guessing in my case (where I'm only running hobs, and possibly later one small oven), I'm best with all low pressure stuff?

Get it done by someone who knows what they are doing mate. Even considering tape tells me you are enthusiastic in saving money but not in safety. What you are considering is not only dangerous to you and yours but also to others around you.

Just because I have the tape, doesn't mean I actually intend on using it in this application. .. as said I'm doing a lot of research before I even reach for any tools. ..

Breacon - Do you have any links to the current regulations regarding the standards for new installations, I've done a couple of searches and can't seem to find much of any use.

DeeTee - Nothing I have found so far states it would be illegal to repair or replace anything gas related in my caravan. If you could provide a link to that information, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have not been on this forum for long enough to tell apart the experienced contributers to servicing from those who work purely on hearsay, so I have to take all replies as the same.

Why are we judged to be less and less capable of doing anything?

In the past, I have completely rewired a house with all the RCDs and trips and the correct wire gauges.

I have thrice installed central heating, including the gas boilers (two on LPG)

Changed gas fittings in the caravan

etc etc

How long, I wonder, before it will be illegal to change a wheel on the car unless you have city & guilds.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

I'm not going to judge whether the OP should or not do this work but would like to say my caravan was supplied to me from the dealer with a gas leak.

Regards, David

Just because I have the tape, doesn't mean I actually intend on using it in this application. .. as said I'm doing a lot of research before I even reach for any tools. ..

Breacon - Do you have any links to the current regulations regarding the standards for new installations, I've done a couple of searches and can't seem to find much of any use.

DeeTee - Nothing I have found so far states it would be illegal to repair or replace anything gas related in my caravan. If you could provide a link to that information, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have not been on this forum for long enough to tell apart the experienced contributers to servicing from those who work purely on hearsay, so I have to take all replies as the same.

Apologies, illegal is the wrong word. I had intended to say that you would not be able to get the installation signed off by a qualified person.

What I did not say, but perhaps should have quite forcefully have said, is that using an installation which has not been checked and certified as safe is potentially risking the lives of the users of the caravan.

If you are unable to differentiate between the experts from the others from the replies perhaps you could invest in the training manual ? Please be advised that I am not and do not profess to be one of the experts in this topic.

The usual, quite frankly alarmist replies have appeared as expected.

There is nothing against the law in fitting your own gas pipework or appliances as long as you are competent. You do not require a certificate to say it has been installed or tested by a gas safe registered fitter. Testing the system after work is easy if you buy a manometer and learn how to use it.

Individual appliances should be fine as long as flues (where fitted) are not blocked and the appliance burns with a clean blue flame. Other than the cooker almost all appliances will be vented outside.

Has the revolution finally begun?

The sole 'user' of the caravan is myself, not that it should make a difference, but I felt the need to point that out anyway, it also won't be going on any camp sites in the near future, so no 'innocent bystanders' are likely to be anywhere near the caravan anyway. However, that makes little difference to the quaility and safety of the work.

I would have to be 100% sure that the work has been done safely before I used it. I understand the concerns people have regarding gas, but please don't assume that I'm going to throw some old piping together with duct tape, plug in 30 year old appliances, and assume everything will be alright.

I use quite a lot of forums, as I find them an invaluable source of information and guidance from those who have practical knowledge and experience. However I am starting to think that the majority of forum users on here lack the practical experience of maintenance, repairs, servicing, etc. I bet no more than a handful of people on here have ever changed a wheel bearing on their caravans, or made a new solid brake pipe for their tow car. ..

As have I however the OP mentioned gas tight tape. If he is mentoring it, it he is considering using it IMHO that is. Don't want to be on a site he uses sorry.

You asked for help, you don't have to take it, or make assumptions of people who think safety first. I can bet you have received similar info on your other sites.

Edited by Peter1474