C L 5

Coastline

Our friend today booked into a Cl near by our home at Axminster, only to find 13 caravans there also my son in law with his family went 2 weeks ago and there was 15 there then! How do you feel about Cls have more then 5 caravans?

Is there a rule?

Assumed they were generally small due to available space. As for how I would feel, I guess it would depend on whether the space could accomodate the numbers

Some so called cls, have five pitches for caravan club, in a separate area and some other pitches for themselves, fair play to them, every body wants to make a few quid, we aren't there because the owners are lonely!

kia sorento kx3 pulling bailey barcelona u2, very well

Is there a rule?

Assumed they were generally small due to available space. As for how I would feel, I guess it would depend on whether the space could accomodate the numbers

There is not a rule as such though is written into Planning Law of 1966. One of the conditions of the CC's certification is that there should be no more than five caravans on site at any time.

Some so called cls, have five pitches for caravan club, in a separate area and some other pitches for themselves, fair play to them, every body wants to make a few quid, we aren't there because the owners are lonely!

That is illegal under planning law as once there are more than five caravans on the land, not the plot, they are in breach of their certification and the site becomes a commercial site requiring planning permission.

Some time ago the CC would publish the reason for closures of CLs in the CL amendments section of the Club magazine. There were often four of five in every issue which had been closed due being in breach of the terms of certification.

Occasionally a land owner has been able to open a CC CL on one area of their land and operate a C&CC CS on a separate area. Another example was where a landowner ran a CL in one field and his wife ran a CL in her name in an adjacent field.

I stayed on a C&CC CS two weeks ago and there was never less than 8 outfits present. Further up the field and around the corner were another 20 or so tent campers. The site owner must have additional planning permission. CC and C&CC are granted special dispensation on the understanding that no more than 5 outfits will be present.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I stayed on a C&CC CS two weeks ago and there was never less than 8 outfits present. Further up the field and around the corner were another 20 or so tent campers. The site owner must have additional planning permission. CC and C&CC are granted special dispensation on the understanding that no more than 5 outfits will be present.

Additional planning permission is unlikely as the certification of the CS would probably be terminated. Under the rules of certification there can be an almost unlimited number of tent campers. As I understand it a site owner runs either a commercial site which requires full planning consent or runs a CL or CS. However, sometimes a CL or CS is run as a separate business to an adjacent commercial site.

The CC are quite explicit in their terms of use by members of CLs as the rules state that CLs are for recreational touring purposes only.

Edited by DeeTee

Further up the field and around the corner were another 20 or so tent campers.

The relaxation under the planning rules is to allow 5 caravans & unlimited tents. The C&CC allows this as it fits within their remit. the CC, I understand, does not.

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

If there is enough room it really doesn't bother me. I am sure the CL owner has plenty of occasions when he has only a couple or no caravans on at all having a couple extra makes up for it.

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

Trouble is, if anyone reports them or a council inspector turns up unannounced, their certificate will be forfeited. It calls the CL/CS system into disrepute and there are alas people out there who would like caravanning to be more controlled, this plays into their hands.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

If there is enough room it really doesn't bother me. I am sure the CL owner has plenty of occasions when he has only a couple or no caravans on at all having a couple extra makes up for it.

I have recently made a contribution in another thread about the terms and conditions of certification of five pitch sites.

just to say the certificate of exemption is under the caravan sites and control of development act 1960 s4, not only planning laws.

If the certificate is withdrawn then I can prosecute for running a caravan site without a site licence under that act but you can also report any site breaking the law to the local authority in other areas.

no I am not a jobs worth, just seen to many sites taking the P###### .

2016 Lunar Quasar 554, tugged by Honda CR-V.

I guess it would for me depend how much space there was. I think it would be difficult to get a cl with enough space to keep me happy with 15 caravans on it. A word with the owner in the first place, give them a chance to explain.

macafee2

One of the things I look for when deciding to stay on a CL is its acreage. I know then that with just 5 van there will be lots of room. If I then arrived and found 15 vans in the same space I would be extremely disappointed. As above I would have a word with the owner and ask what was going on.

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.