Have S/h Caravans Prices Gone Up In The Last 3 Years?

ribs99

Last month we bought our first caravan, a Bailey Ranger 550/6 2006 model. We paid £6000 for it privately which included a porch awning, motor mover, hitch lock and wheel clamp. The caravan is in very good condition with no dents, marks or scratches inside or out.

After looking through all the paperwork we found a receipt the previous received when they bought the caravan 2 years early. They paid £6500, so the van depreciated by only £500 in 2 years.

So my question really is did they get a really good deal at the time or have second hand caravan prices increased over the years? I'm happy with the price we paid so just curious really.

Did it come with the porch awning, motor mover, hitchlock and wheel clamp when they bought it? ;)

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

Any caravan is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

You were quite happy to buy at the price you did, so it is worth it. .........to you, and that is all that matters

Yes indeed van prices have gone up. We bought our first van for £1350 3 years ago. A lovely 23 year old Swift Azzura. We saw it recently for sale for £2450. And it sold. Having recently bought a couple of vans since and now settling with our 2007 Adria we have been watching values creep up quite considerably. Which is good news for all us van owners.

Adria Altea 542DK (2012) pulled by 2016 VW Sharan SEL 2. 0 Bluemotion 187

We bought our 2008 Sprite Sportstyle 4 (dealer version of the Alpine 4) new for £10,000 and saw a nice van at a caravan show when the Sprite was just under 2 years old and was offered £5900 against a new van costing £13,000. This meant a drop of £2000 a year. The salesman explained his company would not pay for the vat we had to pay on the new Sprite. We didn't do the deal. We did change the Sprite at 3 years old for a Bailey Orion from a dealer and was offered £5700 but the Orion was used and 12 months old but looked new and came with a 12 month manufacturers warranty and 8 year body warranty and was £2900 below list price so it works both ways sometimes.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

The real 'bottom end' of the market has changed too. You used to be able to pick up almost end of life caravans for £50-60, if not free. Now scrap alone on a small one seems to be £150+.

I think a mix of the older 'vans being scrapped more, the increasing price of hotels, and caravanning seemingly coming back in fashion, has all helped reduce the depreciation. ..

I'm an old van fan and they have gone up since we started caravanning in 2003. Used to have loads of choice for a few hundred quid. Now scrap is anything up to £500.

Compass Shadow 1988

My parents tried a return to caravaning last year after selling their larger house and down scaling

They went to a large dealer in kenilworth and we're sold a 2011 swift challenger for £13000 (2years old) , it proved to much much for them and after two trips they decided to sell up. They were offered by dealers either a no thanks ( the same dealer in kenilworth said they had too many vans in stock the same they couldn't sell) or a price between £7500 to £9700, They took that offer for £9700 and we're glad to deal with a professional company.(White arches) what made me wise up is that the caravan was listed that weekend for £13500, more than they had paid for it originally !

Caravan dealers seam to have a licence to rob and don't do deals

My parents tried a return to caravaning last year after selling their larger house and down scaling

They went to a large dealer in kenilworth and we're sold a 2011 swift challenger for £13000 (2years old) , it proved to much much for them and after two trips they decided to sell up. They were offered by dealers either a no thanks ( the same dealer in kenilworth said they had too many vans in stock the same they couldn't sell) or a price between £7500 to £9700, They took that offer for £9700 and we're glad to deal with a professional company.(White arches) what made me wise up is that the caravan was listed that weekend for £13500, more than they had paid for it originally !

Having bought very recently and know nothing about caravans, I found the salesmen/women worse than car sales men/women.

Personally I don't have a problem, the wife cringes and looks the other way. Tell them how it is, they're happy to do that with you. If they don't like it that's unfortunate.

Speaking to dealers, finding good used vans is getting harder, therefore prices will rise.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

The guys we've bought or last 2 vans off have no problem finding older vans, in fact they're expending from 2-5 in at a time to 30+. Their vans sell within a couple of days of being advertised and they never seem to run out.

Thats what you pay for the convenience of them taking the van off you. They then have to store the van, valet it to a standard, add in VAT, maybe pay purchase dealer finance & offer a warranty. So how much of that 'profit' of £3800 is actually real profit?

£500 a year sounds about right for a decent van. As you closer to the bottom end the depreciation lessens, so in the middle it will be at a reasonable rate.

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................