Improved Mpg After Towing?

Mick n Debbs

I recently started with the caravan bug and after three weekends away towing I am convinced my solo mpg has improved after every weekend.

Ok the car is quite new just done 12k and that is in the first 3months believe it or not but average solo mpg has gone from 47 to over 52.

The car is a Mazda 6 and I am very impressed with this figure as it is quite a big car. Towing figure is around 30/32 which is not so good but maybe that will improve too?

If your Mazda is diesel engined, it's starting to loosen up and an improvement in fuel economy is quite normal.

30-32mpg when towing is pretty good tbh.

Volvo XC70 D5 Auto SE Lux

Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Diesel engines tend to get smoother and more efficient as they get more miles on - up to a certain point where the miles make no real difference. Our Focus C-Max is getting faster and more economical and it has just over 80K on the clock :)

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

More than likely because the engine is working harder, the residue on the DPF has burnt off and performance has improved. Also a diesel is not run in until it has done at least 100,000 miles. Wish we got 30mpg when towing, but sadly if we get 23mpg we are happy.

Our Focus C-Max is getting faster and more economical and it has just over 80K on the clock :)

Barely run in. My 2004 Volvo V70 is on 243k and is very smooth (well, for a diesel, but it's 5 cylinder). Will report back in another 243k miles!

2012 Lunar Quasar 546 towed by a 2008 Volvo XC90 D5.

I will not argue that diesels do get more efficient as mileage creeps up, but it is unlikely to improve so noticibly, so quickly.

The improved consumption by the OP is more likely due to a slight change in driving style for the better.

Edited by reluctant

Trevor.

Every car I've ever owned showed an increase in performance after a run, which towing is really as the engines been worked hard. I suppose if you don't use the extra performance then more miles to the gallon is possible.

While no expert on when a diesel is run in, I've noticed the T30 showed an increase in MPG at 15K, and the T31 an increase at 20K. No increase afterwards.

with my Mazda CX-5 the mpg increased after 5K from 43mpg locally to 44mpg, although it appears to have dropped since the first service, I'm monitoring at the moment as it may have to go back to the dealer.

Bizarrely the towing MPG appears to be normal, 29. 5mpg going, 26mpg returning.

Bizarrely the towing MPG appears to be normal, 29. 5mpg going, 26mpg returning.

Maybe the outbound journey had downhill slopes, consuming less fuel than the return journey where the earlier downhill portion becomes an uphill section ?

Sadly I must say mine is the reverse. Having just topped my tank to brim full for the 4th time (as opposed to believing the onboard computer) I can confirm my tug returns 10% less than the indicated figure! But as diesel is only £1/ litre in France it's some relief.