Alko Rubber Dog Toy.....

Mick n Debbs

I was just wondering the other day what would happen if inadvertently the rubber ball that fits into the hitch when the Alko lock is fitted were left in as the jockey wheel was wound down and the hitch tried to engage with the tow all?

I imagine the green indicator on the caravan hitch would pop up due to the pressure on it and it would look as if the van was hooked on properly?

I suppose then when the driver of said car drove away the caravan would simply fall off the car's tow ball and slump to the ground leaving the man in the car very red faced with his caravan neighbours looking on in disbelief at his stupidity.

Probably a lesson to be learned in such a scenario would be to always wind the jockey wheel up slightly when you think the van is hitched on to reassuringly see the back of the car rise up in the air.

Just wondering you understand. .....

Rubber ball? Mines plastic with a triangular tab on the end and the hitch is engaged when you insert it. It couldnt possibly stay in to connect to the towbar

It is easy to leave the "safety ball" in as the triangular bit just swivels to one side. Seen it a few times in the yard. Other things include leaving steadies/jockey wheels down and breakaway/ power cables attached.

All good fun and relatively harmless but dont try to pull off with the wheel clamp in place. It makes an awful mess of the floor and wheelbox.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

I managed to tow the van about 3 ft before it fell off. It was pitch dark middle of winter and fortunately no damage or witnesses.

I think he is referring to the rubber ALKO cover on the tow hitch? If you leave it on, the hitch will not click onto the towball so will be very obvious it has not connected.

Hilarious ! Love it ! :D There but for the grace of God. .......... ! :)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I still don't see how this could happen so frequently.

Simple leaving site process:

Remove hitch lock

Open hitch, ball fall out

Reverse tug up to hitch

Wind down jockey wheel

Hitch handle closes

I guess people aren't opening the hitch handle? Or their ball has been chewed by a dog and sticks in the hitch? As it should just drop out when the hitch is opened.

(watch me go and do it now on my next run. ...)

If you don't pull the lever up to open the hitch until just before you start lowering it onto the tow ball then the red ball/grey 'T' shaped thing (in our case) is not going to fall anywhere is it ? In addition our hitch handle doesn't remain up either. Once you let go it returns to the closed position.

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Ok this is the sequence of events

Firstly and most importantly and unlike some on here I am not perfect!

It is about 6:30pm and pitch dark.

I reverse the car perfectly under tow hitch this doesn't happen often. The jockey wheel is only raised high enough to unhitched

Daughter says I will hitch the van up while I do the steadies

I have a quick look and the hitch indicator is showing green.

We move off an basically the caravan doesn't Lesson learnt!

Easy done ! Except if you're perfect. .... ! As you say lesson learned. We've only done it once and couldn't fatholm out why the htich was sitting above the tow ball until the penny dropped !!! ;)

Well Scaramanga, you are right and wrong. Firstly you are correct the "dog toy" is in actual fact plastic but it is possible to hitch on, or at least you think you are (green indicator protruding) without it falling out of the hitch.

Lesson learned, I will never do it again but not locking the side locker so the water pump and waste pipes fall out on the first corner could easily happen I would imagine!!!!

We never bother with the red ball thingy as it will make not difference if they want to steal the caravan. Besides no discount for using it. :D

Well Scaramanga, you are right and wrong. Firstly you are correct the "dog toy" is in actual fact plastic but it is possible to hitch on, or at least you think you are (green indicator protruding) without it falling out of the hitch.

Lesson learned, I will never do it again but not locking the side locker so the water pump and waste pipes fall out on the first corner could easily happen I would imagine!!!!

Ha ha ha. Ours was the battery compartment where we kept the red isolator key for the mover ! Luckily the battery was strapped in and we had a spare key !!! ;)