The Little Green Light....

Mick n Debbs

I am new to this scene although I did tow a caravan many years ago. Our new (four years old) Lunar Clubman has the Alko stability thingy which hums and a green light illuminates on the caravan A frame when plugged into the car's electrics.

I never saw this in the old days and just wondered if it is worth having. Been out three times but can't say I have noticed any difference when towing although thankfully not got into any high speed difficulties so far.

What are your views and when will I notice i(if at all) it's there?

Under normal conditions you will notice nothing, it will only operate when your caravan starts to snake, then it will put your caravan brakes on to square your caravan back up again.

Lunar Ultima 540

Honda CRV 2. 2 Diesel

This is likely to be the Alko ATC (automatic traction control). It is a very good device designed to prevent snaking. Put Alko ATC into Youtube and you should find a promo film describing how it works.

Like a device to keep away pink gorillas, you are never aware of it working but assume it is doing its job. You may have an Alko ATC logo on the rear of the van. Our Bailey Pageant (2009) does have.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

The little green light to which you refer shows that the AL-Ko ATC is up and running satisfactorily.

This device is present to detect any action of the van which it decides may lead to a snake and via corrective braking will bring the van back under control.

Unless this state of affairs occurs you won't feel anything from the device,it will ( should ) only kick in when it detects the beginnings of a snake,it should boot up even if the car engine is not running if your towbar electrics are wired correctly.

If you look here:-

http://www. al-ko. co. uk/pages/original-2. html

you can download a . pdf of information about Al-ko ATC.

As for "is it worth it",personally I think so but others views may differ.

Ian

Edited by Tandem Man

Yes it is the Alko ATC system that I am referring to.

I wonder if anyone has ever thought phew it's a good job I opted for ATC or I might have been in trouble there?

Anyway it's kind of reassuring when it whirs into life when you plug into the car electrics don't you think?

Thanks for your input. ...

Trust me - it works and works well :)

Anybody who has towed on the A1198 from Huntingdon to Papworth will probably know what I mean ;)

Edited by maplecottage

This is likely to be the Alko ATC (automatic traction control).

. ..

I believe ATC stands for Al-Ko Trailer Control.

hawkaye :beardy:

We would not be without the ATC as driving on the M5 with its ruts in the road, wind and HGVs overtaking or been overtaken, the ATC is a big help.

Look on it like wearing a seat belt. 99% of the time you don't need one! But. ....................!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg.