Repaint My Caravan

bigmal31

Would it be ok to paint my caravan with brush and roller to give it a new lease of life

Hi Bigmal31,

Welcome to the forum.

Doing so may improve your caravans appearance, but only if it’s currently in poor condition.

Naturally the resale value would fall through the floor, but if we assume you are talking about an end of life caravan, (Financially speaking) it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference.

Things you should test before painting the whole thing is to check that there will be no paint incompatibilities. If there are you may need to apply a barrier coat to prevent crazing or peeling. :o

Over the years I have seen caravans; brush painted, roller painted, wrapped, wall papered and flock covered - yes a hairy caravan! :lol:

Originally Rolls Royce’s were hand painted with brushes, but that was by skilled craftsmen with a great deal of paint conditioning and application knowledge to achieve a glass like finish. B)

So yes it can be done, but I wouldn’t attempt it, because my efforts would make it appear like it had been painted by a drunken gorilla. :)

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

A friend of mine painted his with a brush and Dulux Exterior Gloss. It looked really good and no brush marks. :)

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The secret to a great gloss finish (apart from preparation, which is key) is a really good brush. Currently that means a Purdy - but they're not cheap.

Yes just make sure you get good paint though, I did a couple of tired looking bits of mine with "non drip exterior gloss". Non drip my you know what!! Not a bad finish and brightened it up but going to take the dulux up next time as it was like painting with skimmed milk!

Compass Shadow 1988

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

The secret to a great gloss finish (apart from preparation, which is key) is a really good brush. Currently that means a Purdy - but they're not cheap.

Purdy Monarch Elite Paint Brush Set - 3 Brushes about £22 on Amazon

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

How about getting it wrapped ! Like a Van. ... Lots of companies offering it for vans nowadays. Will put a seal on it too