Old Aluminium Windows

Well, if they were mine. .. a Scotbright pad, water with a bit of washing-up liquid in it and lots of elbow grease :)

Tony

Then they must be well waxed or they will oxidise in days.

Or. .. you could take them all out, get them professionally polished and then anodised. .. but I'm going to take a guess that you're not a millionaire ;)

Your right im not a millionaire. lol I read that autosol will help as well. What wax do you recommend? The reason im asking so many question is because im new to the caravaning life. This is also my first caravan project.

Cheers

Solvol Autosol is great but it is quite a mild abrasive for a metal polish and I doubt it would remove the pitting. You'll probably want to use it elsewhere anyway, so get some and try it out. A Scotbrite pad will result in a brushed finish - nothing will make them shiny other than a machine polish, which would require their removal - so you need to accept that before you start.

Any quality wax such as Autoglym will protect them but you'll have to apply it regularly. Aluminium needs to be kept on top of unless lacquered.

Thinking more about this, you could experiment with a small polishing wheel in an electric drill, using Solvol Autosol as the burnishing agent, but you'd need to protect the aluminium body very well with several layers of tape for when you slip off ;)

I have used a soap pad in the past, and used Tcut after to get the shine back. It's not perfect, but

does work.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Solvol Autosol is great but it is quite a mild abrasive for a metal polish and I doubt it would remove the pitting. You'll probably want to use it elsewhere anyway, so get some and try it out. A Scotbrite pad will result in a brushed finish - nothing will make them shiny other than a machine polish, which would require their removal - so you need to accept that before you start.

Any quality wax such as Autoglym will protect them but you'll have to apply it regularly. Aluminium needs to be kept on top of unless lacquered.

Thinking more about this, you could experiment with a small polishing wheel in an electric drill, using Solvol Autosol as the burnishing agent, but you'd need to protect the aluminium body very well with several layers of tape for when you slip off ;)

The scotbrite worked ok and cheers for the heads up about the autoglym. Andy

• 3 weeks later...

there's a product call peek it come in a tube or small tin can not find it at the moment but bought mine of e bay a while back I use to use it on alloy motor bike parts and it left a good finish . malc

PS just looked on e bay and there is several people selling it malc

• 2 months later...

By the way aluminium is a great material for polishing! But then you may have glossy windows and doors! B)

Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea.
- Henry Fielding

I would also protect the surrounding body work with low-tack tape.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.