Just Buying A Static

Hello folks, haven't been on the forum for a while as we sold our tourer and

am now buying a super static in a brilliant location.

When we purchased our tourer we obviously made the usual enquiries via CRiS to establish ownership and that it was clear of any outstanding finance.

I am wondering if this same registration scheme applies to statics and if not, any

suggestions as to what route to take for the answers.

Many thanks

Edited by bluenose1940

Hi, there's not the same scheme for statics as far as I know but as you normally buy from the site or an owner on the site it's a given that it's a safe purchase.

Talk to the site owner if you are concerned and pay the deposit on credit card for additional protection.

Read your contract carefully and make sure you are happy with long term ownership and the ongoing costs.

Talk to your neighbours and get a feel of how they see the park and the future plans.

Where are you buying?

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Hi, there's not the same scheme for statics as far as I know but as you normally buy from the site or an owner on the site it's a given that it's a safe purchase.

Talk to the site owner if you are concerned and pay the deposit on credit card for additional protection.

Read your contract carefully and make sure you are happy with long term ownership and the ongoing costs.

Talk to your neighbours and get a feel of how they see the park and the future plans.

Where are you buying?

H.

Hiya Honk, thank you for your input. Yes I think that you are absolutely right in what you say. I

was at the site today and came away very satisfied with all of the answers I was given. I will be

going through the contract very carefully. The park is very well run by a family and I haven't come across any of the pitfalls that seem to be associated with statics and site owners. There seems to be quite a bit of flexibility when the end of the contract period is reached which I am quite happy

about.

I have emailed a mobile service engineer to see if I can get a damp report. I'm not too sure if

statics suffer from the same problems as tourers in that regard.

The site is on the edge of Charmouth in Dorset. The van is less than 4 years old and its location

provides uninterrupted spectacular views across the countryside with its own fenced-off (picket type

fencing)well tended garden area with lawn and well stocked borders. It has been truly well looked

after by the current owners.

When we turned up today, there were people in the wings with their fingers crossed that we wouldn't

turn up as they were hoping to sell their current van and move into this one!

It is only a 50 minute drive from home for us but, once there you could be a thousand miles from home

Hi Bluenose,

My static is only an hour away and it gives that freedom to go at a moments notice and once there key in the door and gas on - ready to relax.

The major points to worry about in the contract are upgrading, selling on and renting out.

I did write about this in another thread in this section (static caravans) so have a look here and here ;)

Heating is a major problem and you need to work out a cheaper way to heat your van which depends on how the gas comes into your van, bottles, mains or mains LPG.

Get a dehumidifier, they work!

Depending on how you intend to use your van, there are tips and tricks for keeping things fresh and dry whilst you are away.

Any questions then ask away ;)

H.

Welcome aboard . another fella that's moved to the dark side . beware on the touring side of this forum they will be coming down the road with pitchforks looking for you . enjoy your new lifestyle your about to see a dramatic change in your lifestyle from touring. .sit back & relax . no more searching for a pitch . Laying out the load weights . fetching water . awnings . chemi loo clean out . turn up & go home at 1am if you want . good luck . Dave

2012 Static Willerby Severn, Sitting in Hidden Valley Welshpool . B)

Welcome aboard . another fella that's moved to the dark side . beware on the touring side of this forum they will be coming down the road with pitchforks looking for you . enjoy your new lifestyle your about to see a dramatic change in your lifestyle from touring. .sit back & relax . no more searching for a pitch . Laying out the load weights . fetching water . awnings . chemi loo clean out . turn up & go home at 1am if you want . good luck . Dave

Thank you for the welcome slimsydy, we are really looking forward to our first visit. It will be ours on October 7th, two days before my birthday and so I will regard it as a little prezzy!

Really looking forward to not having all the chores that you mention. Thanks again.

Sounds really nice . my wife said don't forget bottle opener & wine,

I think the bad press is made up with a lot of people who don't do there homework . its not a cheap option but it is a lifestyle . but they get dragged in spending a week away round these caravan parks & walking passed the for sale signs thinking yes we can do that . but in reality they can't & it's a costly mistake then the site owner just offers you pittance on what you paid . as it's his business & reinvests the profit into the park . So you finish your experience with sour taste . i know I am only 2 years complete on static ownership but still don't miss touring ( yet ) .

• 3 weeks later...

Today is THE DAY!

We get our new (to us) static today. Really looking forward to it. Married 40 years last Saturday, it's my birthday tomorrow and it's my wife's on the 25th so we're classing it as a prezzy from us to us!!!

Can I ask you more experienced members what might seem a silly question please. We will have the van for about six weeks up until the site closes for a couple of months and we will be using it during that time but, my question is, after the draindown and we close up for a while, I am wondering about

electrical items such as the TV, radio etc etc. are these OK left in situ or should we remove them. I am not thinking theft or suchlike, more about the cold and the atmosphere condition affecting the

innards.

I did say it might seem like a silly question.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Bluenose,

I will be leaving my TV on the mattress, with the quilt over the top.

Another thing to think about is to remove stuff in cupboards that can and will freeze. Sauce bottles, jars and tins. Stick them in a storage box and take them home. If they have enough shelf life you can take them back or use them at home and buy fresh in the new season.

Washing up liquid, shampoo / shower gel, kitchen cleaners may need to be moved to warmer climates too ;)

Are you doing your own drain down?

H.

We had a static for 9 years, sold it two weeks ago. It cost £32000, and we sold it for £5000 to the site,

The fees are now £4000/year, which includes gas but electricity is on top, about £200/year. Annual service for gas(required) is also extra. We were quite happy on the site but then they made it a maximum of 10 years, which as ours was 8 years old caused us to stop and think. A rental/ownership of £7500 a year was,in my opinion, too much.

My view is that site ownership is the last unlicensed area in Britain, and certain owners look at it as a way to make money. Of course, you might be lucky, but remember, site owners can change, and you won't be able to move your static!

Hiya Honk, The siteowner says he will do the draindown for £30. 00 or he will show me what to do if I want to tackle it myself. Is there much to it? My main concern is the boiler really.

One thing that did take me by surprise was the main cold water supply into the van. It is plastic

and, not insulated in any way, is this normal? I thought that I might take some of the normal

domestic sponge type insulation and feed it along the pipe myself.

Thanks for the tip re the TV.

Thank you for your comments Drummond.

No worries, bluenose.

Draindown is not a problem, get the site owner to show you. If you're on the coast (we were, but on the east coast) it should not be needed, anyway. Cold water goes off at the inlet point (on the ground) as part of the draindown.

The heating side of the boiler should be protected with Fernox or simlar, and won't need attention. Draindown will do the rest.

Statics are a wonderfúl way of getting a holiday, if you use them a lot. We didn't, and that is part of the problem, insofar as we are concerned.

We had a static for 9 years, sold it two weeks ago. It cost £32000, and we sold it for £5000 to the site,

The fees are now £4000/year, which includes gas but electricity is on top, about £200/year. Annual service for gas(required) is also extra. We were quite happy on the site but then they made it a maximum of 10 years, which as ours was 8 years old caused us to stop and think. A rental/ownership of £7500 a year was,in my opinion, too much.

My view is that site ownership is the last unlicensed area in Britain, and certain owners look at it as a way to make money. Of course, you might be lucky, but remember, site owners can change, and you won't be able to move your static!

A couple of work colleges had the same happen to them, the new owners of the site changed the rules regarding the age limit as well as putting the fees up. They both sold up and bought larger tourers and put them on permanent sites.

Another on a different site had to move his static to the back of the site as it got older to allow newer ones to have the prime spots, again it was the new owners changing the rules.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)