Good, Flexible Service Without Signing Life Away?

Please direct me to any post that already have the answers I seek here. Failing that my tale is one of making phone calls and then visiting the very same network provider’s high street shops and getting totally contradictory answers depending on to whom you speak regarding mobile broadband, for when out in our caravan. It seems never sign up for anything based on what they tell you. I digress. Looking at reviews Three seems to have good coverage, stronger signal and faster transfer than my present Virgin broadband dongle gives me, the latter being more like the old dial-up service and near none existent at the Castleton site, Chatsworth site, Chilterns CL and the Oxford CL where we are at present. However, enquiries by phone to an EE informed me that advertised 1 month contract can stop and start to miss months when not away on holiday. Went to the shop to be told that, me not wanting a 2 year contract with anybody, their advertised 1 month contract was rolling so if I did not need a month the contract ended all together and would have to start again by going to a shop and getting a new contract requiring full credit searches etc again!!!!! Did not want credit in the first place and certainly not prepared to go through such a farce as that, Brian Rix springs to mind. Walked away.

So phoned and then went to Three shop. Asked following regards Pay as you go mobile broadband as when I phoned this option was never mentioned, wondered if it was for the same reason a salesperson walked off to speak with someone looking at a phone when he realised I was just asking about a dongle. Whatever! Another assistant eventually answered my questions stating that so long as I purchased the Huawei E5372, topped up at least every six months the contract would continue, the top up would last till the data was used and not disappear. Great! So I could buy dongle / MiFi thing, use whilst on holiday with data left still being there to use perhaps two months later when going on holiday again and just top up on the internet when necessary.

Said great and that I was just going to get a tea and would be back. Yeh! Right! Got back, assistant busy, other assistant approaches and asked him just to confirm what I’d been told 30 minutes before. Of course he says I’ve been told a load of rubbish, that Pay As You Go top ups expire after one month.

Totally fed up with this rubbish and trawling though websites trying to find information that should be on the same page but hidden deep in small print on unlinked PDF documents and the like. If they advertise a product the cost and terms of topping it up should be on the same page surely. Well who was telling the truth, I do not trust any salespersons in these shops now.

If you do not know how frequent or for how long you may be able to go in your caravan, what is out there for goodness sake that is flexible in meeting such circumstances but also maintains the service despite there being a dandelion growing between the mast and your caravan? My present Virgin mobile broadband would have been okay as I can stop and start no problem with a phone call but shop staff stated that even if I purchased their latest advertised equipment I would not see an improvement in reception or speed.

As mentioned from the off, please feel free to direct me to any post that already have the answers. Just noticed the post about connectivity a couple down from this, may help somewhat. Have a good night all.

Edited by Orion 400 2

Please direct me to any post that already have the answers I seek here. Failing that my tale is one of making phone calls and then visiting the very same network providers high street shops and getting totally contradictory answers depending on to whom you speak regarding mobile broadband, for when out in our caravan. It seems never sign up for anything based on what they tell you. I digress. Looking at reviews Three seems to have good coverage, stronger signal and faster transfer than my present Virgin broadband dongle gives me, the latter being more like the old dial-up service and near none existent at the Castleton site, Chatsworth site, Chilterns CL and the Oxford CL where we are at present. However, enquiries by phone to an EE informed me that advertised 1 month contract can stop and start to miss months when not away on holiday. Went to the shop to be told that, me not wanting a 2 year contract with anybody, their advertised 1 month contract was rolling so if I did not need a month the contract ended all together and would have to start again by going to a shop and getting a new contract requiring full credit searches etc again!!!!! Did not want credit in the first place and certainly not prepared to go through such a farce as that, Brian Rix springs to mind. Walked away.

So phoned and then went to Three shop. Asked following regards Pay as you go mobile broadband as when I phoned this option was never mentioned, wondered if it was for the same reason a salesperson walked off to speak with someone looking at a phone when he realised I was just asking about a dongle. Whatever! Another assistant eventually answered my questions stating that so long as I purchased the Huawei E5372, topped up at least every six months the contract would continue, the top up would last till the data was used and not disappear. Great! So I could buy dongle / MiFi thing, use whilst on holiday with data left still being there to use perhaps two months later when going on holiday again and just top up on the internet when necessary.

Said great and that I was just going to get a tea and would be back. Yeh! Right! Got back, assistant busy, other assistant approaches and asked him just to confirm what Id been told 30 minutes before. Of course he says Ive been told a load of rubbish, that Pay As You Go top ups expire after one month.

Totally fed up with this rubbish and trawling though websites trying to find information that should be on the same page but hidden deep in small print on unlinked PDF documents and the like. If they advertise a product the cost and terms of topping it up should be on the same page surely. Well who was telling the truth, I do not trust any salespersons in these shops now.

If you do not know how frequent or for how long you may be able to go in your caravan, what is out there for goodness sake that is flexible in meeting such circumstances but also maintains the service despite there being a dandelion growing between the mast and your caravan? My present Virgin mobile broadband would have been okay as I can stop and start no problem with a phone call but shop staff stated that even if I purchased their latest advertised equipment I would not see an improvement in reception or speed.

As mentioned from the off, please feel free to direct me to any post that already have the answers. Just noticed the post about connectivity a couple down from this, may help somewhat. Have a good night all.

I have a 3 PAYG MiFi which I only top up if we're away in the van with £10 .

Yes it expires after 30 days but it has worked well in many locations and if I don't use all the data allowance up I don't worry after all a tenners hardly a fortune these days

as long as I get 3-4 days use I'm happy with that and 3 has by far the best reliable coverage.

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

The first thing I would ask you is how much data you expect to use, is it just email and internet or do you stream video etc

Lunar Ultima 540

Honda CRV 2. 2 Diesel

I have a 3 PAYG MiFi which I only top up if we're away in the van with £10 .

Yes it expires after 30 days but it has worked well in many locations and if I don't use all the data allowance up I don't worry after all a tenners hardly a fortune these days

as long as I get 3-4 days use I'm happy with that and 3 has by far the best reliable coverage.

Same as us. In fact our BT broadband at home is so flaky that we use the MiFi at home as a backup too - ie now ! We don't do video streaming etc though as both are quite slow. Plus we used it in France with no problems. Not Holland though. ......

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Hey Foggy!..that's bigger than the print on my Virgin contract!! :D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

We have a Three MiFi unit on contract which costs us £5. 25 for 1GB download a month which we find ample. If I do run short, I simply buy a Three PAYG sim card and insert it. No issues.

I had a virgin dongle which was slow and bought a unlocked huwie dongle from ebay and it was a lot faster

PS I bought the one with an attachment for a aerial

Edited by thomasoes

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

Sorted this out now following confirming comments posted by your good selves and the research I made prior to posting. Ignored all I been told by previous assistants and started afresh with Three enquiries over the phone with one of their staff in a different city altogether. Without prompting informed me that can be up to six months without topping up and can buy GBs that last 3 months before expiring. Why could they not simply state as such elsewhere. So went to the shop and purchased Pay As You Go Huawei E5372 with 3 GB that has expiry in 3 months so away we go. Back on site charged up. Virgin dongle showed 1 on reception scale and 0 in between, up to 2 minutes to load a page. Three immediately shows full 5 on scale, pages loading in full in less than 4 seconds, same laptop, same location.

So thanks folks! Only one question now, has anyone used a universal usb 12v in car phone charger to charge the Huawei?

Edited by Orion 400 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using an old Three PAYG mifi (Huawei E5830, I think). A 1GB sim is £7. 99 from Currys but they have been as low as £2. 99 there. They last 30 days once you start to use them. If you buy a mifi or a phone or anything like that from Three they are all unlocked to use on any network.

I always use the 12v plug in the caravan to charge either the phone or the mifi it seems to work fine as it is the same connection. Use it in the car as well sometimes. I usually keep it plugged in whilst using the mifi as it can run the battery down dependant on what you are viewing. I think I read somewhere that it is also better to have it plugged in if possible because it then means it is at full power all the time.

Edited by pagan

I always use the 12v plug in the caravan to charge either the phone or the mifi it seems to work fine as it is the same connection. Use it in the car as well sometimes. I usually keep it plugged in whilst using the mifi as it can run the battery down dependant on what you are viewing. I think I read somewhere that it is also better to have it plugged in if possible because it then means it is at full power all the time.

I too charge mine via USB. ..but was told not to use it whilst charging. .....same goes for a mobile phone. .

Geoff

Edited by shipbroker

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I too charge mine via USB. ..but was told not to use it whilst charging. .....same goes for a mobile phone. .

Geoff

I have just been looking at tech support on 3 and they just say that if you are charging it whilst using it the battery takes longer to fully charge . I therefore presume that it is not a problem to use whilst charging. I will still continue to keep it on charge whilst in the caravan and of course it will be on its own battery when I am out and about. I agree that it's not a good idea to use the mobile whilst it is charging but I didn't say I did,Ijust said I charge it via the 12v. Of course it can be on charge in the car and still use hands free.