Strange Sensation When Towing

bonzodog

Driving along normally,not under braking the outfit feels like its being pulled and pushed at the same time,sort of rocking motion,front to back. I have checked damper,brakes, tire pressures,wheel nuts torque,nothing moving about gas etc. A new westfallia removable tow bar is a recent addition,all seems ok with that. It’s going for a service soon but curious as to the cause. Thanks for any input.

At 45KG your noseweight is far too low.

What is your car towball limit?

The van will almost certainly be 100Kg if it has an Al-Ko chassis.

If your car towball weight is less than 100Kg, you need to load the front to as near the lowest of the weights.

Edit: I have just looked up the tech spec for most Audi models and it gives 75Kg as the noseweight limit on all models.

You can easily load your noseweight to this or just below.

Edited by Brecon

Should have mentioned, when we collected the van it was empty very little on the nose. Towed like a dream hardly noticed it was there.

When the van was empty, you would have had comparatively little weight higher up, so the C of G would have been as low as is possible. This is why the empty caravan felt more steady.

For every item added in your overhead lockers, wardrobe, drawers, fridge, however small, the C of G will move upwards.

Raising the C of G will contribute to the effect you are experiencing.

As others have said, noseweight close to the car's maximum will have a stabilising effect.

Volvo XC70 D5 Auto SE Lux

Bailey Unicorn Valencia

For every item added in your overhead lockers, wardrobe, drawers, fridge, however small, the C of G will move upwards

As it's a folding caravan I doubt that applies

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely