Kia Sorento Kx-2 Auto Problem

Seaman

Please guy's I need advice!!

I'm hoping someone among our forum members has some knowledge of modern automatic gearboxes?

We were towing our outfit down the A303 this morning and the Sorento was losing speed on inclines. I have a feeling the torque converter is staying locked up. If I selected a lower gear in tiptronic the revs picked up but the car seemed to make no headway. After a some seconds the engine note changes and normal acceleration returns. I have had a new turbo fitted by Kia last week as the vanes were sticking. But my hunch is this is a gearbox problem.

Is the lock-up actuator an internal or external fitting?

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Hi David -

Can't help with problem but try sending logiclee a pm. If I remember right he knows everything there is to know about auto boxes.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Thanks Woodie, great idea!!!

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

We are feeling really cheesed off now!! We have had to cut short our stay at Salisbury CC by 2 days and travel back on what we had hoped would be quieter Sunday roads.

I have come to the conclusion that our Sorento does not have an automatic gearbox problem at all. It seems the engine is losing power on even the slightest inclines. We had to duck onto the hard shoulder 4 times on the M3 and M25 as the speed just peels off to about 35 - 40 mph. I let the blighter sort it's self out and away we go again. I was able to hold the gearbox manually in 5th gear t maintain a decent speed, but spuriously the speed would start to fall, change down to 4th and about 30 seconds later the speed would suddenly start to increase.

I am puzzled, does the Kia CRDT diesel engine have a EGR valve as well as a variable geometry turbo? Would a sticking EGR valve give these symptoms, although it must be sticking spuriously? The problem is present both solo and towing.

David

David - what's the Kia like solo, any problems? Faultless I guess :unsure: .

Edit - when towing, will the engine red line (up to the rev limiter) in 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

David - what's the Kia like solo, any problems? Faultless I guess :unsure: .

Edit - when towing, will the engine red line (up to the rev limiter) in 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

Hi Pebble,

The Kia performs well when solo, but still intermittently loses power on the inclines, I can get it to rev high but didn't fancy taking the revs to the red line. Although I may have done so without realising it, as I put it into neutral accidently with the pedal down!! Prior to having a new turbo, I could not get the revs to go up from 1500, now it will rev to 2000 - 3000 without any problem.

David

Sounds like similar to what we had in out old Alhambra. No guts when under heavy load. Felt fine solo. Revved up and went well. Turned out to be a faulty sensor on the engine management. Given that you have just had new turbo fitted then I would expect it to be a dodgy new turbo/ not fitted properly or faulty sensor. One thing that engine is not short of is get up and go.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

It sounds very much like an airflow meter (MAF) that I had several years ago, which gave exactly the same symptoms as you mention. That was on a Rover 75 CDT (Bosch MAF on BMW engine). Of course the diagnostics picked up absolutely nothing, but on that one you could disconnect the MAF without causing everything else to go into shut-down. Disconnected the car was normal, but with it connected, every now and then it was as flat as a flat thing.

The other thing with EGR's is that the car's likely to churn out a load of black smoke if faulty/sticking (or at least on cars that I've had the issue it has).

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

Thanks for the info Nigel. It certainly isn't chucking out any black smoke, so maybe my notion of the EGR valve is wrong? We are looking to get a Volvo XC70 next month, so I think the Sorento is venting it's wrath at being rejected. It has been a truly good car in the we have had it, this being the first problems to hit us.

David

Hi David -

Can't help with problem but try sending logiclee a pm. If I remember right he knows everything there is to know about auto boxes.

Ooooh thanks but I can't claim anything so grand.

Doesn't sound like a gearbox issue though, thinking with my engineer hat on and doing a fault analysis the op says he's loosing power when demand is high. Also the vehicle has had a new turbo fitted recently.

I'd suspect a turbo issue, it may be a leak, a vnt issue or the engine management maybe seeing overboost and ramping the boost back.

I'd take it back to whoever fitted the turbo and ask them to check the boost pressure when the car is under load.

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Thank you Lee,

Fortunately it was fitted by my local Kia dealership under the 7 year warranty. I have already been in touch with them complaining about the power loss and the fact that they gave me the car back with the coolant out of the bottom of the expansion tank.

Your notions sound good to me and I will be banging on their door tomorrow morning. Please can I ask what you mean by VNT issue, would that be the vanes?

David

Please guy's I need advice!!

I'm hoping someone among our forum members has some knowledge of modern automatic gearboxes?

We were towing our outfit down the A303 this morning and the Sorento was losing speed on inclines. I have a feeling the torque converter is staying locked up. If I selected a lower gear in tiptronic the revs picked up but the car seemed to make no headway. After a some seconds the engine note changes and normal acceleration returns. I have had a new turbo fitted by Kia last week as the vanes were sticking. But my hunch is this is a gearbox problem.

Is the lock-up actuator an internal or external fitting?

David

Perhaps your original problem wasn't turbo related :( An issue with the EGR valve could give you the problems you are getting, just the same as a absolute pressure sensor fault. (The list goes on) Me thinks best to return the car to the original repairer and have a down to earth chat. :angry:

Edited by Gaz40

I forgot to mention that the Engine Management light is on, on the dash. It came up on Friday and was clear on starting this morning. But it came back on again part way through our journey home today. Prior to the turbo change the fault in the ECU memory was something like "VGT position fault"?

David

Different manufacturers call the variable nossle/vane technology different things. VNT or VGT is basically the same from a non technical point of view.

It's the bit of kit that determines how the exhaust gasses will drive the turbine.

If you are getting lights on that clear and intermittant loss of power it's really looking at a turbo related issue. Either Overboost protection or another VNT/VGT issue are possibilities.

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Thanks again Lee,

I know that Kia had the dealer carry a lot of electrical and pressure tests prior to agreeing to a new turbo. Maybe the electrical tests need to go back further towards the ECU? The bill for the turbo was over £1000 plus fitting, someone is not going to be too happy I feel?

David

I forgot to mention that the Engine Management light is on, on the dash. It came up on Friday and was clear on starting this morning. But it came back on again part way through our journey home today. Prior to the turbo change the fault in the ECU memory was something like "VGT position fault"?

David

If the turbo is of OE specification the unit would have been supplied with the vane actuator and speed sensor. Your original warning light indication could have bee given because the rotor speeds were out of the pre-set tolerances and calculations. This fault can be caused by varying attributing components or wiring faults that are affecting turbine speed.

The varying blades give better performance through the engine range, reduce emissions through controlling back pressures to aid rapid heating of the DPF and in this you have electrical mechanical componets that could also contribute to the error. Or you could have a faulty new Turbo Unit, very unlikely but never say never. So its back to the dealer and their diagnostic tools and product experience. :rolleyes:

Gaz,

That was explained with such panache, thank you!! I will print off all of the comments and give them to the men in white coats tomorrow.

David

Are you taking over to Hidsons in Rainham?

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Woodie,

No it has been to Maidstone Kia at Ditton. I used to use Hidsons before we moved to Snodland, they were ok.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Guy's I thought I would update you with the outcome of my power loss problem.

Maidstone Kia have had the car since Monday and done a series of electrical checks. They finally found the fault today, it was a chafed wire intermittently touching the gearbox. Drive back home was perfect, smooth running restored, although I will be happier when I have had a weeks worth of driving done.

Thank you for all of your suggestions!!

David

Guy's I thought I would update you with the outcome of my power loss problem.

Maidstone Kia have had the car since Monday and done a series of electrical checks. They finally found the fault today, it was a chafed wire intermittently touching the gearbox. Drive back home was perfect, smooth running restored, although I will be happier when I have had a weeks worth of driving done.

Thank you for all of your suggestions!!

David

That "down to earth" chat with the dealer worked then :)

That "down to earth" chat with the dealer worked then :)

Sure did Gaz, down to earth indeed!! :lol: