Another Caravan Accident

gravon42

There has been another bad accident with a caravan on the M6 Toll. I hope the

occupants are ok! I thought the M6 Toll was supposed to be a quiet road??

Edited by gravon42

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

thank goodness nobody was hurt. .

A car is believed to have been in collision with the caravan, which was being towed along and ended up on its side.

http://www. expressandstar. com/news/2014/09/10/motorists-warned-to-avoid-m6-toll-after-caravan-smash/

Edited by SP1

This looks to have had an unusual cause if so not the responsibility of the tug driver.

However looking at the devastation I've got to ask "after damage of that magnitude, which I understand can be quite common, how could an insurance company prove anything about loading or nose weight to try to not pay out" which many on here use as a scare story

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Express and Star, said it happened yesterday. Daily Mail said 1pm today! :blink:

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Coming up on the M6 it said to avoid toll so must have been today.

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

This looks to have had an unusual cause if so not the responsibility of the tug driver.

However looking at the devastation I've got to ask "after damage of that magnitude, which I understand can be quite common, how could an insurance company prove anything about loading or nose weight to try to not pay out" which many on here use as a scare story

I believe that is a common misconception that insurance companies carry out any meaningful investigations into RTIs. In the present incident in which no-one was reported as being injured the Highways Agency will concentrate on clearing the debris and re-opening the motorway. The parties involved will make claims on their own insurance policies and the individual insurers may choose to settle knock for knock or if that cannot be agrees will seek to mitigate their losses where they believe it is in their best interests.

Someone may be liable for damage to the carriageway and clearing up the mess. The Highways Agency may bill someone for their costs.

Looks like it been hit by a MISSILE !!!!

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

It annoys me a bit that the odd caravan accident features so predominantly in the news when so many other accidents happen not involving caravans and they get mentioned disproportionately less. One gets the impression that there's a witchhunt against the caravanning fraternity.

Edited by Lutz

Looks like it been hit by a MISSILE !!!!

Ste

Certainly an unusual aftermath. My thoughts, on looking at the aerial picture, was that the body shell seemed to have have been detached from the body floor and laid on its side. During the process it seems that all the cupboards, shelving, fixtures and fittings were released from their fixings and deposited on the motorway.

It annoys me a bit that the odd caravan accident features so predominantly in the news when so many other accidents happen not involving caravans and they get mentioned disproportionately less. One gets the impression that there's a witchhunt against the caravanning fraternity.

It was pretty spectacular don't you think!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

The link in the story to a person being arrested and a collision with a police vehicle seems to suggest that it was this person that hit the caravan.

My view is that caravan incidents on motorways get the coverage because they are relatively rare, but sometimes spectacular, events. A two or three motor vehicle non injury incident which happen on a daily basis are not as newsworthy as they are normally cleared by the Highways Agency within twenty minutes of the incident occurring. A caravan incident often blocks and causes the closure of the whole of the carriageway for much longer than twenty minutes, as in today's incident.

That was probably why it received the coverage.

Ich, I thought that I had change to another article ! I have googled the site and it appears that

they were approaching the toll booths, which has a 30mph limit .

My view is that caravan incidents on motorways get the coverage because they are relatively rare, but sometimes spectacular, events. A two or three motor vehicle non injury incident which happen on a daily basis are not as newsworthy as they are normally cleared by the Highways Agency within twenty minutes of the incident occurring. A caravan incident often blocks and causes the closure of the whole of the carriageway for much longer than twenty minutes, as in today's incident.

That was probably why it received the coverage.

Mmm Which is exactly why I made the observation as, I hope, everyone else realised!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Caravan accidents are nearly always spectacular because of the way they are built. Once hit they fall apart like a box of matches, but does that really justify making such a fuss about them? What is almost forgotten is that despite their spectacular nature, caravan accidents do not normally involve serious injury or worse to those involved, and that's far more important.

they were approaching the toll booths, which has a 30mph limit .

Which suggests the car that hit the caravan was travelling at excessive speed.

It's just that the article goes on to mention this other incident

The BBC are the worst, you hear a report saying "several vehicle have been involved in a collision", yet in the next report you hear "a caravan and other vehicles have been involved in a pile up", like it makes a difference that a caravan was involved.

It is a similar comparison between people getting electrocuted and those getting blown up in a gas explosion.

Dozens of people a day get electrocuted but as its impact is relatively small, and apart from the person involved, usually no one else is injured, or property damaged, so does not make headline news.

As opposed to someone injured in a gas explosion where there is often destruction of property and some kind of disruption to every day life.

The BBC are the worst, you hear a report saying "several vehicle have been involved in a collision", yet in the next report you hear "a caravan and other vehicles have been involved in a pile up", like it makes a difference that a caravan was involved.

It is a similar comparison between people getting electrocuted and those getting blown up in a gas explosion.

Dozens of people a day get electrocuted but as its impact is relatively small, and apart from the person involved, usually no one else is injured, or property damaged, so does not make headline news.

As opposed to someone injured in a gas explosion where there is often destruction of property and some kind of disruption to every day life.

According to this document only 28 people were electrocuted in the UK during 2010.

Certainly an unusual aftermath. My thoughts, on looking at the aerial picture, was that the body shell seemed to have have been detached from the body floor and laid on its side. During the process it seems that all the cupboards, shelving, fixtures and fittings were released from their fixings and deposited on the motorway.

Blimey DeeTee not much gets past you, we will have to get up early in the morning to catch you out. ..

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

What a terrible experience, I hope the owners are well and continue caravanning once the dust has settled.

2015 ABI ASHCROFT EXCL

I know it's slightly off topic, but did anyone see the documentary on the M6 last night, they showed the M6 through Birmingham, absolutely solid, as usual, then CCTV pictures of the M6 toll, it was virtually empty, there's something wrong there isn't there.

To get back on topic, to have an accident on the M6 toll, you have to be very unfortunate, or stupid.

I might add, I noticed in the article that they got a lane open after 30 mins, if that had been a regular motorway, the cynicism in me says, it would have been shut for a lot longer than that.

Edited by Marks

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

The document only reflects reported electrocutions, not all are fatal and not all are reported.

Electrocution by definition is fatal. There is no such thing as a non fatal electrocution.