Mitsubishi Fixed Tow Bar

SteveMilner

I am looking to get a fixed tow bar fitted on my Mitsubishi Shogun.

However Mitsubishi have claimed their tow ball is not compatible with the Alko Stabiliser.

I can't find any pictures on the internet.

Could any Mitsubishi Owners let me know if the tow ball part of the Mitsubishi fixed tow bar is a standard fitting that could be replaced by an Alko compatible ball?

Regards,

Stephen

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

I think I am correct in saying that you just need to swap the ball with an Alko one onto the Mitsubishi bracket. This will provide the extra space needed by the Alko hitch. If you provided an Alko ball they could fit it at the same time as they fit the bracket.

Or try a recommended bracket fitter who may give better advice to fit a known bracket and may even be cheaper.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Hi I had a silly quote from Mitsubishi almost twice as much for tow bar with same information I went to a national fitting company they did warn me there might be a slight problem with the spare wheel catching the Al-Ko handle I have had no issues

I had a fixed towball on my Pajero, (Japanese import version of the Shogun). It's a standard towball. When I changed the caravan to one with an Alko stabiliser hitch, I simply bought an Alko towball and changed it myself. The door mounted spare wheel can cause minor problems with the stabiliser handle, but I simply removed the handle, lowered it until it started to grip the ball and then slid the handle back on. I used it for about 3 years with no problems.

Hope this helps, Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Thanks everyone for your help.

Mike, could you tell me how you removed the handle?

I've looked at independent fitters and they are actually more than the Mitsubishi one. :blink:

If you go for the option of independent doing the ECU on the car to the correct spec anyway.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve, I'm talking about the red handle on the hitch that clamps the towball. (I think it was an Aks 2004 type which has 2 metal arms coming from the head with a red plastic grip). It's the red grip that is removed and it was just held on with a standard star shaped screw. There is a kit (Towsure item code AKS50, but at £49:50 it's very pricey) which temporarily replaces the handle, but I just took the handle off, lowered the 2 arms and replaced the original handle. It only fouls the spare wheel when its fully opened. Bit of a fiddle but not really a problem.

Hope this helps, Mike.

Cheers.

I have a 3004 hitch

I wondering if placing a 25mm spacer to move the ball position out a bit might help, but I'm not sure of the legality of that.

Anyone know?

Steve

Hi again Steve,

The AKS50 adapter I mentioned is for the 2004 and 3004 hitch, so it's basically the same, one long screw to remove and refit. I'm not sure about the legallity of using a spacer. I'm sure that it was discussed and debated on here some time ago so I'm pretty sure that some knowledgable member will be along soon to point you in the right direction.

Mike

I am looking to get a fixed tow bar fitted on my Mitsubishi Shogun.

However Mitsubishi have claimed their tow ball is not compatible with the Alko Stabiliser.

I can't find any pictures on the internet.

Could any Mitsubishi Owners let me know if the tow ball part of the Mitsubishi fixed tow bar is a standard fitting that could be replaced by an Alko compatible ball?

Regards,

Stephen

The towbar on my LWB Shogun was not a standard 2 bolt flanged type, it was secured by 4 bolts on a square mounting plate, the bolt centres would not accommodate a standard 2 bolt towball.

The towball did however have the extended neck to accommodate the AL-KO stabiliser hitch head.

I have a 2009 shogun, i just swapped the towball for an Alko one. Think it was around £20 and 2 bolts, took 5 mins. I have had no problems with the handle of my alko hitch fouling on the spare wheel so wait and see if there is a problem before you spend money.

Steve - I think the one you have is a different type to the Mitsubishi fitted ones.

My research seems to indicate that a 25mm spacer is within the approvals for tow bars.

Since a spacer costs about £4 I'll get that fitted along with the Alko tow ball and see how it goes before splashing out on other solutions.

Thanks everyone.

Steve

Edited by SteveMilner