Kampa Air Pro 390 Condensation

phil1041

I am at present in Spain and for the last 2 evenings we have had heavy rain followed by sunny mornings. Whilst the awning didnt leak during the rain on a morning it is quite literally dripping with condensation from the roof which runs down to the horizontal air bars and drips from there. I do not recall getting this amount of condensation from my Issabella porch awning, is this normal please?

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Seems to be quite normal for the climatic conditions described.

I very much doubt that it is awning related and suggest that you will not know unless a side by side test is carried out with a different type of awning with both subjected to the identical temperature, humidity and use conditions during the same time period.

Left the side doors open, only closing the fly screen mesh and that helped a great deal. I am sure you would find condensation in any enclosed space given the climatic conditions as Dee Tee points out.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Unfortunately it is a charecteristic of all 'nylon' awnings. Acrylic material is less prone to condensation because it is able to 'breath', similar to (but not as effectively as)cotton. This is why you didn't encounter it so much with your Isabella porch.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Sounds like sort of conditions we suffer the same condensation on our non Air Rally

Same here when we had a 260 Rally Pro. Condensation soon disappeared if the sun was shining and warm but not so in the spring and autumn.

I think the Isabella roof material is different to that used by Kampa so this may explain why the OP didn't have an issue with their Isabella?

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone seems it is just climatic?

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Hi there Phil, Ive just returned from a weeks holiday in Cornwall and have experienced a similar problem with my Kampa Air awning. We had no rain during the period and the ground was really dry when we set up. The condensation was so bad on the underside of the roof in the mornings that it ran down to puddle severely in various places on the ground. I had to empty the awning of kit each evening. I discussed this with both my neighbours on the pitches either side of me one of which had an Isabella awning and the other had a polled Kampa porch awning neither of which experienced condensation anywhere close to the extent I did. Unfortunately there were no other Kampa Air awnings on the site. I havent approached the supplier yet and would like to first gauge how many other people have a similar problem and wonder if there is an issue with the materials used by Kampa in their roof construction.

I had condensation in the air pro at night when we were away but it soon dried out in the morning.

I thought about buying the roof lining to see if it helps but not really a problem so not sure.

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Roof liner would help, especially when it's cold and you don't really want the doors open so much. We always used liners in our tent complexes for that reason when I was in the army. But good ventilation is always necessary (it's better in the Pro with the two roof vents, but more is better)............when possible and not pouring open the tops of the two doors leaving the mesh to breath.

When I'm on hard standing I now always put a waterproof groundsheet under the breathable floor to stop the ground emitting moisture upwards, which cuts the condensation problem. I accept that's a no go on grass.

I've just had a dry warm week away and when I lifted the groundsheet to pack up it was very wet underneath on the sheet and gravel!

Audi Q5 3. 0Tdi S Line

this is where the water pools with a roof lining it has to go some where eventually.

this is on a Rally ace

mike

post-1322-0-55747300-1411233015_thumb.jpg

post-1322-0-42044300-1411233055_thumb.jpg

post-1322-0-13097700-1411233073_thumb.jpg

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

We have been away April May July August and Havnt had any condensation issues at all. Must all be climates fault not kampa

Always worth asking neighbors if they are having similar problems in the same location at the same time.

• 1 month later...

We have just been away for ten days with our air pro 390 awning and have suffered tremendous wet problems each day whether it was raining or not. Even on dry days the roof dripped. We bought the roof lining and this was wet above it without fail and dripped inside even if the top of the doors were left open through the fly mesh.

Where have you been to? We are in woolacombe at the mo using the same awning, no issues at all

6 days with a hurricane on a hill in South Wales and 4 days near Birmingham. We have found this problem every time we have put the awning up though!

We have had our Kampa Air Ace up with a breathable carpet and the only condensation is on the windows despite heavy rain and sunny days. We have the vents at the top of the awning open and also the top of the windows open slightly. Really very pleased as expected condensation and leaks until it weathered in.

Its just the unusual weather at this time of year that's making the awnings so damp, get the roof liner it will help stop the drips.

Nothing wrong will the awnings I have a Kampa and have had many others in the past which all do it at some time or another.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to read these posts, We have the smaller (260?) Kampa Air Pro inflatable awning. On two occasions we have found up to 15mm of water in the pockets that the curtains roll into, when we came to pack up. We were out in rainy weather, but cannot find how the water got in, if it is rainwater and not condensation. Appeared to be too much to be condensation. We have the roof liner and the breathable floor. Also have the top vents open. On the whole we like the awning, so easy to erect/take down. Anyone had similar problems?

How many owners suffering condensation are using awning skirts attached to the 'van? In other words, no air circulation inside the awning.

Just interested :) .

2019 Adria Adora Thames