Does 36Psi Sound Right?

bob1982

Hi all.

I have a van with 850kg unleighden and max 1060kg laden. The book says 36psi but I see people talking about much higher pressures than that. I havr always gone with what the book says but does this seem a low psi to anyone?

Ours is 955kg fully laden and the book advises the same tyre pressure as yours for speeds up to 60 mph, so I'd say it is correct.

(it also says 33psi for speeds up to 81 mph)

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Good luck with the 81 mph. ... what an odd thing for them to put in the handbook :-)

Absolutely legal in France for the tug/van combination I have which is below a Gross Train Weight of 3500kg. I think other countries allow speeds up to that in certain conditions & the van/chassis is designed to do it

Edited by Ich

For what it’s worth, my caravan is an 8 meter twin axle. The MTPLM is 1700kg and the recommended tyre pressure is still 36 psi. At that tyre pressure she tracks as straight as an arrow, so 36psi? It sounds correct to me. :)

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Its my undetstanding that the correct pressure depends upon both the weight of the van and the load rating of the tyres.

I know in my case it is 42psi for tyres as originally fitted but it could go up to 55psi if I used ones of a different rating.

Poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Its my undetstanding that the correct pressure depends upon both the weight of the van and the load rating of the tyres.

Yes there is a formula around that uses tyre rating, just looked in the handbook and it makes no mention of load rating so I'm going to stick with the manufacturers figures

My last van had a plate stating tyre pressure should be 51 psi. The tyres were rated at a max pressure of 55psi. Previous vans had recommendations of around 36psi but my present van is plated as 42psi and the max rating of the tyre is also 42psi. I use an accurate digital gauge and make sure car and van tyres conform with the manufacturers spec.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

I know in my case it is 42psi for tyres as originally fitted but it could go up to 55psi if I used ones of a different rating.

Poolebob

I think you would be seriously under-tyred if they needed 55psi where the originals were 42psi.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .