240V Electrics

Hello guys

I know you can buy on the market a 2 socket mains installation kit for my 1969 bailey restoration project but I would like to fit 3 sockets. Could I run a spur off one of the scockets or will that overload the mains consumer unit as the one's I find in the shops only have two breaker switches? Or is there a 3 socket installation kit out there.

Cheers

Andy

I don't see why not providing the total loading and the cable carrying capacity is large enough.

Some modern double sockets now have a USB socket included and this could help to re-charge modern devices.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

You can add a socket and still keep the same number of breaker switches, as you will still only draw the total load allowed. (You will not load each socket to the maximum).

Ern

Thanks guys. So I can run my radio, charge my laptop and have a 240v light on at the same time?

No reason why not.

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

I assume you understand 240V supplies.

For example: A 100 watt bulb is 240 x amps = 100.

So a 100 watt bulb draws around 0. 4 amps and the breakers and cable are rated in current (amps).

So a radio, charger and a light may draw less than 1 amp but your breaker may be 6 or 15 or 20 amps - it will be marked for the max current before it trips.

What is your breaker marked as?

Graham

Hello WispMan

This is what the read up about the unit says. ..CONSUMER UNIT CONSISTING OF: 25AMP-30MA RESIDUAL CURRENT DEVISE, 10AMP MINIATURE CIRCUIT BREAKER {DOUBLE POLE}, POLARITY TEST INDICATOR LIGHT, IN 5 MODULE ENCLOSURE.

Whats the difference between the 25Amp-30MA Residual current devise and the 10AMP breaker?

A residual current device (RCD) detects an earth fault and trips out. A 25amp one has a maximum current of 25amps, it will not trip out if the load is greater.

A 10 miniature circuit breaker (mcb) is technically a fuse and will trip out if the current is greater than 10 amps

edit

the RCD will trip out with an earth fault of 30mA (or 0. 3 AMPS)

Edited by zen

Agree max 10 amps. Which is a total max of appliances 2400 watts. So don't use a std household 12AMp kettle!

Graham

Your post #4 says you just want to run a radio, laptop and light. This would only take around 2 amps all together.

You can go higher if you want but only to 16amps as this is the maximum on most caravan sites.

Brian

Nice little set here with two circuits http://www. 12voltplanet. co. uk/240v-mains-hook-up-installation-kit-for-caravans-motorhomes-boats. html

As the guys are saying as long as you don't exceed total current on the circuit you can have as many sockets as you fancy within reason, you're always limited by the usual 16a supply on site anyway (some sites are less occasionally)

I've got an 8 socket adapter wired into a fused spur under the seats to power a variety of low consumption items

post-55551-0-08327900-1410388049_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys for all the answers.

Your post #4 says you just want to run a radio, laptop and light. This would only take around 2 amps all together.
You can go higher if you want but only to 16amps as this is the maximum on most caravan sites.
Brian

Ive found an amp calculator online. I though all of that would be more as they all use 3amp fuses.

Edited by andybird74

Just because there is a 3 amp fuse fitted it doesn't mean you will be using 3amps.

The fuse is generally there to protect the flexible cord which will be rated above the fuse rating.

you have to look on the appliance and it will tell you it's rating.

100W is about 0. 4 amps

1Kw is 1000watts and takes about 4amps

A residual current device (RCD) detects an earth fault and trips out. A 25amp one has a maximum current of 25amps, it will not trip out if the load is greater.

A 10 miniature circuit breaker (mcb) is technically a fuse and will trip out if the current is greater than 10 amps

edit

the RCD will trip out with an earth fault of 30mA (or 0. 3 AMPS)

I think that you mean 0. 03 Amps.

OK, someone has to say it. If you need to ask all of these questions then you should also ask yourself whether to are capable of installing your own mains wiring safely.

I think that you mean 0. 03 Amps.

OK, someone has to say it. If you need to ask all of these questions then you should also ask yourself whether to are capable of installing your own mains wiring safely.

I stand corrected I see you spotted my deliberate mistake. I also have to agree with you on your comment as to ability to wire anything in.

Technically speaking any new 203v circuit or work on a 230v circuit should be properly tested before energising

I understand your concerns if I'm up to the job because of all the questions. I am able to fit the unit as Ive done it before without any problems. I was just making sure what the breaker can handle. Cheers

Edited by andybird74

Looking at this, I would have thought that a more normal consumer unit with an RCD, a 10A MCB and a 6A MCB would have been more appropriate as it will allow full use of a 16A EHU.

As for a triple socket

http://www. diy. com/departments/electrical-security/switches-dimmers-sockets/sockets/DIY579414. cat/category-27004=DIY579417/Number__of__Sockets-37768=3?categoryToFilter=DIY579417

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely