Improving Sound From The Cello Telly

mike5100

I'm thinking of getting one of these

JUSTOP BTT005

It's a bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the Cello's headphone socket. The caravan has a nice Sony Car audio system that accepts input from a bluetooth device (This works great with music streamed from my iphone).

However - I have seen a couple of comments that imply that there is a delay in the bluetooth transmission/reception. This doesn't matter with audio only. but it could be important if trying to watch dialogue on the telly

Anyone done this and if so have you had this delay problem?

Mike

We bought a pair of Logictech Z130 PC speakers from Maplin and they work a treat. In addition they fit nicely into the chest of drawers in the front when travelling.

It is unlikely with only a headphone socket, but if your TV has phone audio output sockets then have a dig around in the config and you will find an option for internal or external speakers and very likely a delay correction option.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

I use one of these under the TV. Sounds great and has multi uses. Expensive but there are lots of alternatives.

In the past we have used the radio speakers and it sounded daft coming from the wrong place.

http://m. bose. co. uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/bluetooth-ipod-speakers/bluetooth-speakers/?mc=GB/05_PS_SL_BO_GO_&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyrqgBRDepamt-LWA2oABEiQAV7nwwGVYnNzp1peFk08vseZRWVyMb1x07r3v5HMtY91iPg0aAgUg8P8HAQ

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I use one of these under the TV. Sounds great and has multi uses. Expensive but there are lots of alternatives.

In the past we have used the radio speakers and it sounded daft coming from the wrong place.

http://m. bose. co. uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/bluetooth-ipod-speakers/bluetooth-speakers/?mc=GB/05_PS_SL_BO_GO_&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyrqgBRDepamt-LWA2oABEiQAV7nwwGVYnNzp1peFk08vseZRWVyMb1x07r3v5HMtY91iPg0aAgUg8P8HAQ

John

Yes I did wonder about that 'wrong location' problem.

Anyway last night I ordered one of those strange tiny speakers that use any big surface to provide the bass, and it can stand behind the telly.

Mike

Anyway last night I ordered one of those strange tiny speakers that use any big surface to provide the bass, and it can stand behind the telly.

Mike

We considered one of those but then decided that as it's effectively using the caravan as a sound board it wouldn't be very considerate towards our neighbours if we had the sound up at any loud-ish level.

Having the sound come out above our heads using the radio speakers is brilliant. We can have the level really low yet hear it very clearly.

Tony

John

Although they may be an excellent product, it seems that those cost more than the TV itself? It must be remembered that the TV is in a caravan and not every one on site wants to hear what you are watching. :D

We're thinking of adding a sound bar (from Argos, c.£100) but it's just something else to have to plug into the 240v. Already have a shortage of sockets :angry: .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

So. .. Run a cable from the headphone output to the aux input of the radio. Took me around 2 hours in total. Fantastic result b

We're thinking of adding a sound bar (from Argos, c.£100) but it's just something else to have to plug into the 240v. Already have a shortage of sockets :angry: .

We also looked at sound bars but an overkill for a TV in a caravan, plus the fact they are rather long.

So. .. Run a cable from the headphone output to the aux input of the radio. Took me around 2 hours in total. Fantastic result b

We looked at that option but due to the way the speakers in front are located in the Lunar caravan it was a big NO NO!

Running a cable from the TV position to the location of the hifi unit would involve stripping out lots of stuff to hide the cable.

One of the advantages of our remote seasonal pitch is that we are the only caravan in a half acre field. There are caravans on the other side of a stream about 30 yards away but I tried turning our HiFi up loud and went over to them and could hear nothing.

Which brings me to a point about sound insulation. In our Adria Adora it is so good it is ridiculous. If I am standing outside the caravan within a couple of yards and my wife shouts me from inside I can barely hear her. That's even true with the caravan door standing open unless of course she is hollering from the doorway.

Mike

Running a cable from the TV position to the location of the hifi unit would involve stripping out lots of stuff to hide the cable.

One of the advantages of our remote seasonal pitch is that we are the only caravan in a half acre field. There are caravans on the other side of a stream about 30 yards away but I tried turning our HiFi up loud and went over to them and could hear nothing.

Which brings me to a point about sound insulation. In our Adria Adora it is so good it is ridiculous. If I am standing outside the caravan within a couple of yards and my wife shouts me from inside I can barely hear her. That's even true with the caravan door standing open unless of course she is hollering from the doorway.

Mike

That depends upon the van. In my case it involved unscrewing one panel (2 mins) and removing the microwave (5min). Total time 30mins. The longest job was soldering the plugs on.

Poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Although they may be an excellent product, it seems that those cost more than the TV itself? It must be remembered that the TV is in a caravan and not every one on site wants to hear what you are watching. :D

1. I made it clear that there are many cheaper alternatives.

2. Why do you assume they are loud? Not so as they have a volume control. Also the sound has quality as opposed to squeaking cheap speakers.

3. I made it clear that it has many other uses therefore the cost is spread.

Please read and understand posts before replying. Also a bit rich considering you considered a sound bar!

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

1. I made it clear that there are many cheaper alternatives.

2. Why do you assume they are loud? Not so as they have a volume control. Also the sound has quality as opposed to squeaking cheap speakers.

3. I made it clear that it has many other uses therefore the cost is spread.

Please read and understand posts before replying. Also a bit rich considering you considered a sound bar!

John

Calm down as the post was not meant to be offensive in any way. That is why I posted a smiley at the end.

Edited by DeltaTIowner

Yes I did wonder about that 'wrong location' problem.

Mike

I can report that this £7 device has improved the sound quality of the cello no end. It sits in front of the telly in the middle of the shelf and as it's only about 3 inches high it's below the sight line to the screen. It's not hi fi and it's not stereo but it has put some welcome bass into the very tinny output from the cello's native speakers.

Mike

Update - rather surprisingly (since this is a direct connection rather than bluetooth) there is a noticeable delay between the picture and the sound - it's tolerable but irritating

Mike

Edited by mike5100

Sorry to digress slightly but can I ask your opinion on the Cello? I'm looking at one for our van simply because it has the built in satellite receiver and at 130 quid on eBay it seems a right bargain compared to the Avtex's. I'm tempted but are they any good?

2004 Kia Sorento 2. 5 tdi tugging a 2002 Elddis Sunseeker with Molly the Collie!

We use headphones, you can have it as loud as you like then.

Twice this year I've asked neighbouring vans to turn their sound volume down, mainly because they are sitting outside listening to the TV/radio with all the windows open (one van was about 50m away)

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Yes - I don't have any complaints really apart from the tinny sound but any telly with such small speakers is going to sound tinny.

I had a problem where the television would freeze when using the remote control to scroll through channels, but somehow that issue has gone away. Programme information in satellite mode is pathetic, with most programmes showing 'no information' until you actually select them. But that's not the fault of the Cello - I presume any freesat tv is like this

I have also had occasional problems with the built in DVD - in that it would freeze and you could'nt get it going again without going back to the beginning of the film . ... but again that problem seems to have resolved itself - weird.

Mike

Have looked into improving our TV sound and, I across these which get very good reviews on other caravan forums http://www. amazon. co. uk/SoundWave-SW100-Rechargable-Portable-Bluetooth/dp/B009LJG4VU Some threads also mention that they can be connected via a mini jack lead if no Bluetooth is available.

However, I've now gone down the route of mains fed PC desktop speakers. I had a couple of small Logitech speakers lying araound and these made a significant improvement. Also, by changing the settings in the TV menu, their volume can be adjusted through the emote control.

On this basis, we've ordered a set of these http://www. amazon. co. uk/Creative-Inspire-T10-Multimedia-Speakers/dp/B000WQIKJ0/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410681080&sr=1-5&keywords=pc+speakers and will see how they perform.

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Sorry to digress slightly but can I ask your opinion on the Cello? I'm looking at one for our van simply because it has the built in satellite receiver and at 130 quid on eBay it seems a right bargain compared to the Avtex's. I'm tempted but are they any good?

Finlux are another reputable make worth looking at. We purchase a 12v Avtex |TV from ACDCTV in Hereford who offer excellent service all round including after sales. They deal with Avtex and Cello TVs.

Calm down as the post was not meant to be offensive in any way. That is why I posted a smiley at the end.

And a smiley is supposed to make the content right!

I tried to post a helpful post, you tried to destroy it. Telling me to calm down does not help and is not required. Particularly now as I am posting this from the shores of lake Garda and it is lovely.

John

I tried to post a helpful post, you tried to destroy it. Telling me to calm down does not help and is not required. Particularly now as I am posting this from the shores of lake Garda and it is lovely.

John

John

John

Hope your having a nice time there.

Just hope you've not got your telly up too loud :ph34r:

Said speakers have just arrived and wow, what a difference. Almost like listening to TV at home. Good depth of sound and no tinnyness. A good punt at £30 - well happy :D .

2019 Adria Adora Thames