What On Earth Is The Point?

phil1041

Sitting here in the Spanish sun witnessing another motorhomer trying to get his car of the trailer then trying to unhook it then trying to find somewhere to park said car and trailer he is now all hot and bothered and he hasnt even parked the mhome yet let alone set it up etc.

I thought the idea of mhomers was for the freedom and quickness of set up etc i just cannot see the point of this ritual why not just tow a caravan? Perhaps some of the mhomers on here could explain this to me?

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I have never been able to work this out either, I have a friend with a big Autotrail motor home, circa £80k. There's more room in my senator Wyoming than in his motor home. So assuming a unicorn Barcelona circa £25k new, that would leave in excess of £50k for a very nice tug, better comfort than driving the Autotrail and better than driving the fiesta he tows behind it. I really don't understand it at all, how on earth they can justify the prices for a commercial vehicle chassis with a caravan body chucked on the back.

I am so glad you asked this as I have often wondered.

We even came across on couple who had a rather large MH . .. beautiful . ... & a little car which they towed on an A frame . .. except this time as it wasn't far (we were in North Devon & they lived in S Wales) Mrs Motorhome drove the car home while Mr Motorhome who was a retired HGV driver drove the MH !!!!

I've always been baffled by this too as I thought the reason people prefer motorhomes over caravans is that it's easier to travel around without having to tow anything behind you.

The only reason I can think of is that motorhomers have the choice, in that some long trips you take the car along and maybe weekends you just take the MH.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

We had neighbours on a site in Spain once with a NL registered motorhome It was 9M long and 4M tall. When it was parked next to us we never saw the sun again until they left. They had 2 very aggressive and large dogs which were not kept tethered and deposited their loads wherever they wished. Mrs neighbour was very nice and assured us that she always went round picking it up though, so we were reassured by this. They towed a trailer with a car on board. The empty trailer was squeezed onto their pitch along with their motorhome leaving very little space to sit etc. The car was parked in the site road causing problems for other site users, including their other neighbour who could not get his car (he also had a motorhome and parked on the site road) out at all. The 1600cc Harley Davidson was eventually wheeled out from the back of the motorhome along with the 2 electric bikes. We were gob-smacked! The following morning we sat out in the road eating our breakfast in the morning sun and noticed the new neighbours watching us from the elevated position of their lounge window. I asked them if their view was good and was advised it was excellent as "they were so tall they could see right over the top of our little caravan and out to sea". Later that day Mr Neighbour reversed his car into mine, but Mrs neighbour assured me the damage to their car was only slight so they would not be making a claim for compensation. They stayed for a couple of weeks and eventually left their pitch and their rubbish behind.

Ern

We like them. Simple as. We use our motorhome for loads of trips out, not just holidays. If we're going down the coast we'll take the MH as then we have everything on hand. We don't tow a car behind, as both ours are auto's so can't be towed until i've finished inventing my drive shaft coupler to allow auto towing - but its just a sketch as yet.

I never minded towing the van, but as we only used it maybe 3 times a year it seemed a waste, were as we use the MH at least 3 times a month.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I would like to add my name to the fail to see the logic of spending £50k or so on a MH only to tow a small car behind.

Mind you I never realised there were so many well off people that can afford to buy a MH in the first place or are they all lottery winners?

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

I would like to add my name to the fail to see the logic of spending £50k or so on a MH only to tow a small car behind.

Mind you I never realised there were so many well off people that can afford to buy a MH in the first place or are they all lottery winners?I would like to add my name to the fail to see the logic of spending £50k or so on a MH only to tow a small car behind.

Mind you I never realised there were so many well off people that can afford to buy a MH in the first place or are they all lottery winners?

I have a sense of déjà vu.

Poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

I have had several motorhomes and always towed a car on an A frame, and we have towed all over the continent.

The reason is we have transport when we get where we are going and we can set up the motorhome as a base, It is nothing to tow and it is convenient, and takes minutes to get off and to re attach, If I had to put it on a trailer I would not do it.

It started for me when I had an American RV and I just continued when I bought european, I had a jockey wheel on the A frame and I just unhooked and my wife drove it away with the A frame attached and parked up.

It was nothing to do with money it was what we wanted and a small car was great for nipping round towns and doing shopping and sightseeing, I have a caravan now but towing a car is far easier and simpler, and so is the setting up of a motorhome.

Most ACSI campsites are in the sticks, so it makes sense to have some transport and I am too old to go wobbling off into town on a pushbike and buses if there are any do not usually go where I want to.

I have done it and it makes sense If you have not done it then you cannot really make a comment.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsover to me sorry!

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Indeed why not just buy a caravan you have the tow car to use once unhitched. Only one lot of road tax etc.

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

It makes absolutely no sense whatsover to me sorry!

Phil.

Phil - it may not make sense to you, but to us it makes perfect sense.

A motorhome is easy to drive. Set up takes oh, i don't know, 2 maybe even 3 minutes depending how far away the leccy point is & how long it took me to pull the handbrake up. Water is on board before we park up. waste is on board until we leave & then it takes another 5 minutes at most to dump it all as we leave. We've had a couple of caravans & though we enjoyed them, they sat idle for so long it seemed a waste. we also had to store the van. The MH sits outside most of the time. If we fancy a trip to margate we just jump in, start up & we're off.

i will tow a car when we start going further afield, but that car will double up as an everyday user. Road tax on my MH is £130 a year so not restrictive.

there are quite a few on here now who've come over to the dark side & it seems more are each day. We aren't lottery winners by any stretch & i paid nowhere near £50k for our MH, although it was probably that new.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I have to add my name to the don't understands also, We recently went camping in Portugal where there where at least 6 m,homes with cars or trailers, I didn't understand what some the trailors where for until one chap unloaded his motorbike and sidecar.

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Just to be clear its not the mhome i am querying, although having rented 2 and tried it you couldnt sell me one at any price not enough room in them for me, its the towing of the car on the trailer i cannot comprehend surely you are defeating the whole object of having the mhome in the first place? Just my opinion of course but i have tried them for those that asked.

Phil.

Phil - it may not make sense to you, but to us it makes perfect sense.

A motorhome is easy to drive. Set up takes oh, i don't know, 2 maybe even 3 minutes depending how far away the leccy point is & how long it took me to pull the handbrake up. Water is on board before we park up. waste is on board until we leave & then it takes another 5 minutes at most to dump it all as we leave. We've had a couple of caravans & though we enjoyed them, they sat idle for so long it seemed a waste. we also had to store the van. The MH sits outside most of the time. If we fancy a trip to margate we just jump in, start up & we're off.

i will tow a car when we start going further afield, but that car will double up as an everyday user. Road tax on my MH is £130 a year so not restrictive.

there are quite a few on here now who've come over to the dark side & it seems more are each day. We aren't lottery winners by any stretch & i paid nowhere near £50k for our MH, although it was probably that new.

very very good post,, I am thinking of getting a motorhome myself, you have summed up my thoughts exactly, apart from the towing of a car, the only reason I would not tow is the ease of not having the car behind, but as I get older it might be an idea, so once me piles have settled down I will be on me bike again

kia sorento kx3 pulling bailey barcelona u2, very well

And dont forget to say thank you when the kind caravenner gives you a lift to the supermarket in the pouring rain or when your mhome battery goes flat and you need to purchase a new one! Been there and done that several times Maybe thats why they tow cars?

As I have said before, each to his own. It's a good thing that we aren't all the same. Having said that, I still don't see the point!

Same here, cant get me head round the idea of towing a match box of a car behind that you cant see and god help any of them if you have to backup with such a short wheelbase has it will turn quickly at the slightest movement of steering wheel when reversing.

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Yeah I respect each to their own but personally I think towing a car is odd when you could just tow a caravan. I have never had a MH so I am no expert but on the face of it it seems odd. But hey. ... it doesnt do anyone any harm. ... the world is full of wierd stuff. .. that makes things more interesting.

If you are going to have a motorhome with a runabout to go down to the chippy, this is the one.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

I wonder why MHomers who pull a car don't just buy a 5th wheeler? Easy to drive, loads of room ( in most anyway ) and vehicle to go shopping and sight seeing.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

If you are going to have a motorhome with a runabout to go down to the chippy, this is the one.

Now THAT I can see the point of ;)