Original Gas Lights

Voobory

Hello,

I have an ABI Monza 1400ct which i am currently restoring, I am trying to keep as original as possible. As i have no manual i am hoping that someone will be able to tell me which mantle is used on the gas light inside

Welcome and talk of gas mantles takes me back 50 years.

Are they still made and are there different ones?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Welcome and talk of gas mantles takes me back 50 years.

Are they still made and are there different ones?

There are still Campingaz lamps which use mantles.

Heritage, Classic or "old fashioned" caravan lamps mantles are available from Caravan parts

Edited by DeeTee

Is there still the old porcelain fitting in the lamp? If so take it to a dealer, most still sell the mantles in a box

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

yes the the porcelain fitting is still there as far as i am aware. Van is in a surprisingly good state as far as appliances go, everything is working and no leaks on gas lines. However one more question on the appliances how do you light the oven as it doe not have an igniting switch is this done by match?

yes porcelain fittings are there, will check how to remove them, thanks all for your help. One other thing the oven does not thave an ignition switch that i can see, is this lit by match? sounds silly but i think the van predates my time of camping just a little was only about 10 when it was made.

Yep - a match or taper. No flame failure device on those old ovens either.

I only threw away 4 spare mantles last year when I was having a clear out.

Thank you all, this restoration has been a fair challenge been busy for 2 months but nearly done now. once again thank you all.

A gentle spray of Hairspray on the gas mantle may keep it intact during traveling I believe. They are easily broken and vibration can cause damage. Once fitted and lit they can't be put in a box until next needed. :(

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Gas mantles takes me back to childhood. Try googling "veritas gas mantles". I remember spraying them with hairspray not sure if it worked but didn't do any harm. The other thing is to make sure that there is no tear in the mantle otherwise you get a spay of flame onto the glass lampshade until it cracks.

I remember gas mantels as a boy, again, some 50yrs ago. The one thing I remember more than anything is that I couldn't stand the heat in the caravan. After 2 or 3 minutes it got as hot as hell! I had to go outside where it was cooler!Do to really want to keep gas mantels? Could you not replace with LEDs? I know what you mean by keep it as original as possible but some things are best left in the rubbish bin of history. Best of luck with it whatever you choose to do.

The electric tealights from the pound shop would look good, but not as bright as the original

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hot as hell in 2 or 3 minutes? I wish. I do remember be the soporific hiss of the gas lights or maybe that was just the carbon dioxide. If the vanis being restored then it needs to be gas lights if it's being fixed then it can be anything IMHO.

We still have our gas lights but do not use them a lot of people in the old caravn scene wire them in now to the electric and fit a small bulb due to not being able to get the mantles

2009 Volvo XC90 - mine

2003 Vauxhall Astra estate - hers

1968 Volvo Amazon estate - ours

1967 Cheltenham Nyala - ours

Hi,

Touring caravan gas mantles came in thee sizes, Bijou (1), two and three, number three were mainly used in "static type vans" yours will have been number two, you used to be able to get mantle springs to prevent the mantle breaking on the road, i think Bijou have been discontinued, but number 2 size are still available.

Skegness 'The Sunnier Side of Britain'

• 4 weeks later...

The usual size for tourers is/was No. 2; can still easily get them, do a search on ebay for 'Gas light mantles'. Ask the seller for the dimensions of the mantle ring to be sure of size and compare. There should be a little coiled spring on your fitting to keep the mantle in place. The quality of the light is softer than electric and with a soporiphic hiss, as someone said, and also gives quite a bit of warmth to the air. I think its worth experiencing this, if only now and again. It gives the real original period atmosphere !

Am I correct in remembering that the actual fabric part of the mantle should not be handles as when used it is likely to lead to failure?

I had a pair of gas lights in a caravan for 10 years. Kept the van warm on a cold evening. We used the van regularly but despie a lot of towing I only had to replace one mantle in all that time.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Hello Easy T,

Quite correct . . (good memory !). The gas mantle was invented way back in Austria by the man who also invented how to make cigarette lighter flints. A thin silk knitted 'bag' was soaked in mineral oxides and tied by hand onto a ceramic ring, this was then coated with a sort of gum to give some strength in transit. On first fitting a flame must be touched to it (with the gas off) to flare off the coating then light it with gas on and the silk mesh burns away leaving a mesh which only consists of the oxides with nothing else holding it together. So a careless touch with a matchstick will poke a hole in it or turning the gas on too high might give a strong 'pop' and blow it apart. It's a bit of an art, really. The life span seems very variable but I don't think we had so many deep pot-holes to shake up the van in the old days.

Well, I still have them on my 77 van, and no. 2 is the common size. Yes, I do have 240 and 12v as well!

Tis strange --- we had them in our old 12ft sprite we used two of them-- never had a problem with carbon monoxide ! ( must have been all those drafts that saved the day !

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!