Attempted Theft?

I've just been down to where I keep my van in storage,only to find that someone has tried to remove one of my wheel clamps obviously in a attempt to steal it. But I also discovered that they had unscrewed the rain cap on the flue of the fire,but why would they do this? Have you guys heard of this happening? I'm now worried that they have put something down the chimney pipe which could be dangerous when we put the fire on. By the way the cap was left on top of the roof of the van,very strange!!

Edited by Dirty Trucker

There had to be a bit of noise trying to get that clamp off, cant understand the flue thing tho

BMW X5 followed by a 2014 Lunar Delta RS

That's a bit scary! I think you should probably check the roof for any damage too, they have have walked over it to get to the flue.

Is there no security at your storage site?

Have you reported it to the police? I think you should, I reported some suspicious masks on my front door frame at home and discovered they already had someone in custody they arrested at 3 am the might before, this person was carrying 2 screw drivers but they didn't have any evidence, the scene of crimes guys matched his tools with my door damage and 25 other houses in the area off the back of my initial report.

Outfit: 51reg 2. 7 Jeep Grand Cherokee 52reg Mercedes C270 Avanteguard Peugeot 407 2. 7v6 Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Zetec -------> Ace Prestige 25
Us: Me, Husband, 35 kilo German Shepherd RIP Amber (18/6/15)

Maybe two people was involved one person climbed up to pretend to be doing something to the flue whilst keeping a look out whilst the other person tried to remove the wheel clamp.

Just a thought. .... If they intended pinching the van why would they do anything to damage it so I agree check the flue but I would guess my hunch is right.

Driving Nissan Navara 2013.

Bailey Pegasus Verona 2014.

I would definatly report it to the police, someone tried to crowbar my hitch lock off one night when the van was at home, the police took it quite seriously.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Has it rained? It will cause damage to your fire so it will need testing.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

I hate people, mindless idiots who steal and cause damage to personal property, hope all is ok with you.

I think your lucky that they weren't professionals as they obviously haven't a clue how to remove the wheel lock. I would be vigilant in the future as they may well return.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Thanks for all the replies, I have reported it to the police. And the site is supposed to be secure. It is a CASSOA silver rated site,I don't believe they could of stolen the van due to the security gates,and if they wanted the wheels the two on the other side are un-clamped! I am totally baffled if I'm honest!

sorry to hear what has happened, fella. that is absolutely rubbish. i would be gutted if i found that on a visit to my 'van :(

Are there no cameras on a silver site; mine is silver and they have. They monitor all the coming and goings. Just a thought. How would they get the van out of the gates if they are locked. Hope they catch the tow rags.

Dirtytrucker, Hi mate. This scum is always about. I had my beautiful Elddis Crusader Cyclone stolen from a bronze CaSSOA. They came over two fields (when it had been planted with beans so it was nice and flat and dry) filled in a ditch, cut through a 30,000v fence, cut the hitchlock off, Got the wheelclamp off, overcame 2 alarm systems, the phantom alarm never went off and off with it! They must have been watching the storage for weeks just waiting for the right time ti strike. It was recovered from a traveller site in Newark, Notts. To cut a terribly long story short, I didn't have it back. I got my payout from the CC insurance and who were brilliant by the way. Get it moved to a GOLD CaSSOA. Peace of mind now. I am so sorry for you as I know what this is like. They don't care about anyone or anything. All you can do is protect your van against them. Best of luck.

Stupid question but was it someone who mistakenly tried to get the clamp off the wrong van?

Looks like an amateur attempt, has someone lost a key and then gone to wrong van???

Dirty Trucker,

If I were you mate I would be looking around to move it to a more secure site.

2015 ABI ASHCROFT EXCL

Sorry to hear about your suspected theft attempt and am glad it was unsuccessful. As for the heater cowl I agree it may have been a ploy to make it look like work was being done while keeping surveillance from a high vantage point. On one van I owned I managed to lose 2 heater cowls and never did find out where they went but lost them while travelling I think. The second replacement was put on with thread lock and I never lost it again?

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

Thanks for all the replys,I've had the heater and chimney flue examined and that has had the thumbs up ok. I've also bought another two wheel clamps so whilst in storage I'll have four wheel clams and a hitch lock on,and the owner of the site is looking into cctv so hopefully there should be no more problems. i do feel though if they are determined they will take what ever they want!

Thanks for all the replys,I've had the heater and chimney flue examined and that has had the thumbs up ok. I've also bought another two wheel clamps so whilst in storage I'll have four wheel clams and a hitch lock on,and the owner of the site is looking into cctv so hopefully there should be no more problems. i do feel though if they are determined they will take what ever they want!

Just make sure it's not your van. Theives will take the path of least resistance.