Towing Electrics

eastcoaster

Changed cars recent and had a tow bar fitted in the deal, when I couple up to tow, the 12 volt in

the van doe,s not work . There is no apparent loss to the battery in the trip to site . It is going

back to the garage but has any body got any ideas ?

Does the van have a car/van switch, do you mean the 12v system doesnt work in the when coupled, i. e lights. or do you mean its not charging the battery or operating the fridge?

Edited by Brocher12

If you're coupled to a correctly wired car with the engine running the habitation relay in the 'van will be energised switching off the internal lights. pump. toilet etc. and allowing the fridge to operate on 12V and the battery to be charged.

To use the internal lights either switch off the ignition (you will be then running the internal electrics from the car battery) or unplug the 'van to use the caravan battery.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

I always hook up to the car with the engine off.

the problem came to light when we stopped to use the toilet, I flicked the master switch for 12volt but no power .

All ok at site and home.

My Clubman (and previous Lexon) is the same and that is how

it is designed to work, according to my dealer.

bspks in #4 has it spot on.

When plugged in to the tow car the only things that will work

is the fridge and the battery charger but only when the engine is running.

(thanks to Brianl)

Edited by DTH

Dave & Annette .

07 Kia Sorento 2. 5 CRDi XE --- 2012 Lunar Clubman CK

When plugged in to the tow car the only things that will work

is the fridge and the battery charger.

Only when the engine is running. With the engine off everything should work powered from the car battery.

The OP says he is getting nothing with the engine off as I understand it.

Brian

Changed cars recent and had a tow bar fitted in the deal, when I couple up to tow, the 12 volt in

the van doe,s not work . There is no apparent loss to the battery in the trip to site . It is going

It may be that whoever fitted the towbar, assuming its a 13 pin socket, didn't wire it up fully and the 12v supplies for battery and fridge haven't been fitted.

It happens quite a lot.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

A fitted 13 pin socket does not guarantee that it is fully functional, you need to check that a split charge relay has been fitted and connected directly to the car battery.

This will give a permanent 12v supply to the caravan and power the fridge. The relay protects the car battery, only supplying power when sufficient voltage is available with the engine running.

the problem came to light when we stopped to use the toilet, I flicked the master switch for 12volt but no power .

All ok at site and home.

Sounds to me as if the voltage sensing relay in the car needs to be adjusted, not dropping out when the engine stops. The car battery voltage can take some time to drop after a long run and this will keep the relay engaged.

Edited by Steve W77

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

Some factory fitted electrics do not have the extra wires connected for the charger, fridge or even the van lighting, I just got a Ford Kuga that has the same problem so got to sort a split charge relay from the battery direct now.

2016 Lunar Quasar 554, tugged by Honda CR-V.

A fitted 13 pin socket does not guarantee that it is fully functional, you need to check that a split charge relay has been fitted and connected directly to the car battery.

This will give a permanent 12v supply to the caravan and power the fridge. The relay protects the car battery, only supplying power when sufficient voltage is available with the engine running.

The split charge relay will go to pin 10 and earth via pin11.

There is a separate supply for the permanent 12V via pin 9 and earth via pin 13.

So there should be two wires from the battery.

Hooked up with the engine running that is what is supposed to happen.

All ok at site and home.

The system depends upon the voltage coming from the car. It takes a short time for the voltage to drop below this level after the engine is turned off. If you wait a minute or two before turning it back on you should find it works. Edited by Bill Lord

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

If the OPs Yeti has been fitted with a VAG standard towbar - probably a Westphalia - unless the installers were told to do it the socket will have no 12V or fridge wiring - European caravans often don't have a 12V battery or a fridge so there is no wiring fitted.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville