Washing Up Tip

Marc&Jill

There are so many posts here it may well have been posted already so apologies if it has.

Tip from my mum, bless her!

Before washing up in the caravan, wipe the plates & pots with kitchen towel or even news paper & discard in the bin. Makes this tedious chore so much easier & wont block your sink or pipes.

Feedback greatly received, Thanks.

Marc>

My misses always does that. You could drink our grey water!!

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Not for me, paper towel costs money, it's not like you can offset the cost of the water because you still need to wash up. Not particularly 'green' either. We scrape any leftovers into the bin and a hot wash. A glug of bleach every couple if months keeps the drain smelling sweet for us. .

Outfit: 51reg 2. 7 Jeep Grand Cherokee 52reg Mercedes C270 Avanteguard Peugeot 407 2. 7v6 Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Zetec -------> Ace Prestige 25
Us: Me, Husband, 35 kilo German Shepherd RIP Amber (18/6/15)

Not for me, paper towel costs money, it's not like you can offset the cost of the water because you still need to wash up. Not particularly 'green' either. We scrape any leftovers into the bin and a hot wash. A glug of bleach every couple if months keeps the drain smelling sweet for us. .

Take your point, but it is easier, & yesterdays paper is gonna get binned anyway & like your idea about the bleach, I think I will adopt this idea Cheers.

My in-laws won't scrape their plates directly into the bin, even at home. Food goes into yesterdays newspaper, then into the bin, which gets emptied into the wheelie bin (which also has its own bag!)

As Maginnis says, it all seems a bit wasteful (though there is pleasure to be had from seeing the Daily Mail or Express covered in left over gravy).

I regret to say that I am very weird so bear with. ....

I take the empty plates, put them in the bowl of water and. .....wash them with a cloth.

Finally I pull the plug and grey water and stuff and everything disappears down the thingy.

I then sit down to admire those that carry huge boxes of plates half a mile to the washing up area.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I take the empty plates, put them in the bowl of water and. .....wash them with a cloth.

Finally I pull the plug and grey water and stuff and everything disappears down the thingy.

I then sit down to admire those that carry huge boxes of plates half a mile to the washing up area.

Not just us then! We even do it if we have to pay to heat our water, but that's just our flamboyant side.

We're online newspaper readers so no old newspapers, blimey, I'm greener than I thought, only the odd carrier bag too. I suppose there are the food wrappers/containers to scrape into but they're going in the bin anyway to I scrape straight in to that.

Outfit: 51reg 2. 7 Jeep Grand Cherokee 52reg Mercedes C270 Avanteguard Peugeot 407 2. 7v6 Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Zetec -------> Ace Prestige 25
Us: Me, Husband, 35 kilo German Shepherd RIP Amber (18/6/15)

I do exactly the same wispman, and there's me thinking I was old fashioned.

What's more bazaar is I actually enjoy washing up in the caravan.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Caravan drainers are so small that once you've washed a couple of mugs & plates, you have no room to put anything else. So if you cook say a spag bol you end up with the following to wash: 1 saucepan for the pasta, 1 for the meat sauce, 1 pasta strainer, 2/4 pasta bowls (depending on occupancy ) 1 large serving spoon, 1 parmesan cheese grater, 2/4 forks, 2/4 wine/drinks glasses.

I've yet to see a caravan draining board capable of handling that lot & mrs Bunny washes up far quicker than I can dry :D

So if you see a not so young couple carrying a crate of crockery to the washing up area, it just might be us :)

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

1. Serve the spaghetti and wash the pot and drainer.

2. Serve the sauce and wash the saucepan.

3. Grate the parmesan and wash the grater.

4. Eat.

5. Wash 2 bowls.

Simples ;)

Caravan drainers are so small that once you've washed a couple of mugs & plates, you have no room to put anything else. S

They are indeed, but we fit most of that stuff on (plus lots of toddler related pots and cups). In the event of running out of space, we dry something up.

If you take it to the washing block you have to dry it all up straight away anyway and when in the caravan we tend to make sure the drainer is empty each evening so that we can pull the cover down and use the space for more important things (wine bottles).

At home we leave the air to dry most stuff (to the horror of our parents who can't cope with a full drainer! :blink:

1. Serve the spaghetti and wash the pot and drainer.

2. Serve the sauce and wash the saucepan.

3. Grate the parmesan and wash the grater.

4. Eat.

5. Wash 2 bowls.

Simples ;)

OR. ....

Wash one pot and put on the draining board and then whilst your washing another pot someone picks up the first pot and drys it which leaves space for another pot. :)

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

OR. ....

Wash one pot and put on the draining board and then whilst your washing another pot someone picks up the first pot and drys it which leaves space for another pot. :)

Yeah - that too :)

Get a bigger caravan with a better draining board, there seems to be some mental folk around, they walk across a field to the shower instead of using their own, they walk across a field to do the dishes instead of using their own sink and draining board!

Then I expect they post on CT about continental vans having no facilities!

Buy a tent you nutters! Lol

A method I've used for many years (in 'vans with & without 'proper' drainers, but starting with tents) is the 2 bowl method. This involves washing-up in one bowl, placed in the sink, & swilling the items in another bowl, placed on a work surface or the cooker.

This second bowl has a small quantity a clean water in it to wash off the suds (a habit I aquired from an Uncle of mine who insisted that the surficants in washing-up liquid do you no good at all!). After emptying the wash bowl the second one is emptied into it, there-by swilling the bowl out & flushing the pipes out all in one go, so no water is wasted. This system has worked faultlessly for so long I do it automaticaly.

The 2 bowls fit into one-another so take no space up & the sink & work surface get protected. The 2nd bowl allows a much greater quantity of items to be safely stored with minimal mess.

I use the same method at home as well. Once used to doing it, it becomes 2nd nature & very efficient.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

for me I use one fork one knife one spoon, one plate and wash them before leaving for home and I also eat out of the pan saves having a pan and a bowl to wash, one good thing about being single

Towing with 2. 0 darkside mk3 Ford Focus hatch named the Naked Turtle, towing a 1993 Abi Jubilee Emperor Named Michelle