Clubman One Month On...

Mick n Debbs

Hi all,

Ok one month on and three weekends away in our 2010 Clubman ES and here are our thoughts so far.

The front seating area is the biggest problem for us, it's simply not long enough to stretch out and when our two kids are with us it's a nightmare.

For me the control panel of the Alde heating system is a problem I need glasses to read but wearing these I can still not see the icons which are too small. This is not helped. By reflections on the glass/plastic of the control panel.

The heating system (wet) is not short of power but is short of vents to the point of the front bulkhead which becomes worryingly hot but nowhere for the heat to escape. I know there is a fix but surely Lunar should have sorted this before the van went to market?

Upholstery material that looks prone to pulling and snagging which is worrying as the drawers in the chest at the front of the van catch the seats when opened.

All negatives so far but the positives are:

Wonderful bed that is supremely comfortable.

Massive amounts of storage. Too much, we forget where we have put things!

Very well equipped and wants for nothing really.

The van looked boring externally initially but it now looks handsome and although four years old it still looks stylish - superb alloys and from the outside it's up there with the new boys. ..

Tows well and the hum of the alko? Tow system which hums when the electrics are connected is somehow reassuring.

Really wanted a Coachman but was just too heavy but this is growing on us, keep you posted. ...

Mick, you've discovered that fixed beds and families don't mix! What do you do for instance when the kids go to bed and you and the missus just want an hour to chill and reflect? That's why we've always kept away from fixed beds until our beloved(yeh!) 9 year old grand daughters have finished camping, or until they finally move into their tent! Currently in a Clubman ES 4 Berth side dinette, perfect when they're not with us we can leave the bed down and use the side dinette to eat.

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

We had the same heating issue with our caravan. If you bought from a dealer, the dealer should do the repair free of charge as it is an inherent fault. the modification is to put slots into the top bulkhead board. Also under the front chest of drawers are two vent holes on either side. This allows circulation of air and the caravan heats up quickly.

Lunar are aware of the modification and it is standard in their new caravans. See attached pictures for modification.

post-65184-0-46377100-1410170217_thumb.jpg

Thanks Lunar Loopy, you and my partner are making the same noises. Admittedly hers are louder and more frequent than yours obviously!!!

The fact is I hate making up a bed but you can't have everything I suppose, or can you? Is there such a layout as a fixed bed with bunks and a place to sit, eat and watch TV? I guess there is but it needs a Scania to pull it!

Oh and thanks Delta TI, that looks as if it would work a treat. Although the van has been serviced every year the mod has not been done. I am really concerned we may have a fire risk here. Anyone at Lunar want to comment? Love the van but want to be warm and safe through the winter.

Seen the 2015 Clubman today by the way. ...

• 4 weeks later...

The 2015 Clubman doesn't have slots in the bulkhead as shown in the picture.

Instead there is a hidden "slot" the full length of the bulkhead created by a trim raised about 5mm above the surface (hope that makes sense).

The 2015 Clubman doesn't have slots in the bulkhead as shown in the picture.

Instead there is a hidden "slot" the full length of the bulkhead created by a trim raised about 5mm above the surface (hope that makes sense).

That's the problem with Lunar's installation of Alde - that 5mm gap should be 40mm according to Alde's installation instructions, to allow the heat from the double convector to rise unimpeded - looking in caravan dealers i'm not sure that other UK brands are any better.

Modification by Lunar dealer, under Alde supervision, to increase the gap from 5mm to 20mm does improve things - this involves remounting the false front bulkhead further back from the real bulkhead and further up to raise the trim panel.

We had to use the fan heater on 1kw in addition to the Alde on 1kw on Sat/Sun night when the outside temperature dropped down to 5 degrees - increasing the Alde to 2kw has little effect as the circulating fluid is thermostatically limited to 80 degrees which the 1kw can achieve on it's own due to the poor airflow over the convectors - we do have wonderfully hot storage compartments though !

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES