Which Tow Bar For A 2011 Santa Fe ?

holmes l3

We have just purchased our new tow car, a 2011 Santa Fe but after phoning a few tow bar companies we have had mixed answers on whether we should have a detachable or a fixed one . I Would be very grateful of any feedback on which is the best one to have . Cheers

I would say it is down to personal preference and budget. I have a removable on our 2012 SF and it certainly saves banging your shins every time you use the boot and looks neater when not towing.

With a fixed bar you might find that it interferes with the reversing sensors. Ours is a Witter removable and has dedicated electrics (this is the expensive bit you will find.). The ball is easy to fit and remove and stores away easily in the storage tray in the boot.

Kia Sorento GT Line

Bailey Unicorn Madrid 2016

I would say it is down to personal preference and budget. I have a removable on our 2012 SF and it certainly saves banging your shins every time you use the boot and looks neater when not towing.

With a fixed bar you might find that it interferes with the reversing sensors. Ours is a Witter removable and has dedicated electrics (this is the expensive bit you will find.). The ball is easy to fit and remove and stores away easily in the storage tray in the boot.

I prefer a fixed bar - it's permanent so no danger of any potential problems with possible detatchment.

A fixed bar has no effect on the reversing sensors.

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

I prefer a fixed bar - it's permanent so no danger of any potential problems with possible detatchment.

A fixed bar has no effect on the reversing sensors.

Snap.

No problems with reversing sensors if you have the dedicated wiring and programming.

Also I have yet to bang myself on the towbar in 5 years of having one fitted.

Mike

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

Detachable Witter and Westphalia dedicated electrics on ours.

Mike must have much wee'er shins than me. I clatter them as soon as I fit the bl**** thing!

Detachable Witter and Westphalia dedicated electrics on ours.

Mike must have much wee'er shins than me. I clatter them as soon as I fit the bl**** thing!

Ahh, might be because it's there all the time I don't forget plus it's a fair lump of metal not to see. I could imagine banging my shins on a detachable as you can't see it.

Ahh, might be because it's there all the time I don't forget plus it's a fair lump of metal not to see. I could imagine banging my shins on a detachable as you can't see it.

Naw. I clatter them on fathers car with a fixed as well. Think I need to repaint the white stick or give the dug a good talking too! :o

Well I've phoned a few companies for prices and they all say the detachable because of the sensors, but there's quite a price difference between by passing the electrics and dedicated electrics, the best price with dedicated electrics is £500 . So my next question is do we need the dedicated electrics and also what do they do ? Oh and thanks for all your replies .

I would go with the dedicated but check the price included for programming the ECU otherwise its a waste of money.

All the programming on the Smax does is disable the sensors when the van is attached and also the blind spot indication system. I also think they re-programme the sensors not to see the towbar as we have a fixed one.

Hi, I was let down a couple of times by towbar fitter so fitted it myself. Its not as hard as you may think, went and bought Witter flange detachable so I could have the bike rack on or you could put a bumper protector plate on with the Right Connections dedicated electrics which also included the kit for running the fridge and charging the battery while towing.

Price for the lot was £375.

On the Santa fe there is no reprogramming needed, when the caravan is plugged in the rear sensors are disabled and also the car fog lights when needed. The towbar fitted when solo does not interfere with the rear sensors.

Wayne

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe towing 2010 Sterling Eccles Coral

Voted Best MPV by Prince Charles

Voted Best Practical Caravan by Old Mother Hubbard :-)

The dedicated electrics sound the best option . Most of the companies I've phoned have said we need a detachable tow bar so I Will phone the dealer tomorrow to get a price and see which tow bar they recommend , might as well see if they can do a deal as we don't pick the car up for a couple of weeks . Thanks again for the replies

The dedicated electrics sound the best option . Most of the companies I've phoned have said we need a detachable tow bar so I Will phone the dealer tomorrow to get a price and see which tow bar they recommend, might as well see if they can do a deal as we don't pick the car up for a couple of weeks . Thanks again for the replies

My only comment is that dedicated electrics and detachable towbars are the most expensive options so it's not surprising that they are recommended by most companies :D

Just something to think about is that my local Kia dealer recommended a local mobile towbar fitter. Non dedicated electrics were fitted to my Sorento with Kia's approval.

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.