Is It Worth It?

Ledzep

Bit of a nightmare this caravaning lark? I've toyed with the idea of joining the throng for some time now but unfortunately a severe cash flow problem has always thwarted any thoughts of stress free days away in new locations with like minded people enjoying endless glasses of wine, chilling, with not a care in the world, relaxing in my own oasis of tranquility. However, I now find that due to an upturn in my financial situation I am in a position to realise that burning desire to become a 'vanner. So, do I buy new? Well, according to the majority, no, because even new caravans have myriad problems that dealers try their hardest to wriggle out of correcting. If I still decide to ignore this advice, which manufacturer do I put my trust in, Lunar, who's 462 I had my heart set on? No, because 87 faults was the latest number to be recorded on a new van. What about the new SMART HT products from Swift, all composit, all singing, all dancing rot and damp proof nirvana? No, because they still leak and has been quoted, some wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! Ok, I'll go to a dealer who I know will be more expensive than buying private but at least I have the confidence that the dealer will look after my every whim when I lay my hard earned in front of him in exchange for that lovingly cared for second hander. No, every dealer is a lying, good for nothing thieving rogue who would sell his granny to get out of any after sales commitments. Ok then, last resort, I'll buy private. For God's sake man are you out of your mind! Buy off EBay and be damned, buying a van that doesn't actually exist except in the mind of the scam artist cheeky enough to try it on or was stolen less than two days ago. Or, you have no come back, no one to turn to, when you realise you have just bought a damp, rotting old box that would not be allowed to be used as a tea spot/outhouse by hairy asked builders!! I think I might just stick to hotels!

And I thought I was cynical!!!!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:Or not????? :(

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

It's quite simple really, I've bought all my caravans secondhand private, 2-3 yrs old, it's not rocket science to be able to spot a damp patch, soft spot or broken bits, so long as you do the checks yourself and then if you think it's worth it pay for a local mobile caravan service engineer to give it the once over re: gas, electrics, damp and running gear the £150 incl a service or so expenditure will be money well spent whether you've got years ahead with a good van or good advise to walk away.

With a new van you have no idea what defects are yet to become apparent.

Phil

Edited by Phil O

Or you could do what everyone else does buy what you can afford, check or get it checked before hand then enjoy, it's not what age the caravan is it's what you do with it!

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

. ..wow! Touched a nerve there! May I first say I am not trying to "dis" anyone (that term is so 90's by the way) I was serious about wanting to get in to vanning and still am but everything I read in relation to making that all important purchase fills me with dread. Although there was an element of a tongue being firmly embedded in a cheek in my comments, I was being completely sincere in my observations with regard to the perceived dangers of buying in to what is, for many, a big investment. ..

Is it worth it YES

I discovered caravanning four years ago and love it.

I sit in my caravan and assess my situation, I don't have the space I have at home, I don't have the comfort I have at home, I don't have the dish washer I have at home, the TV is smaller, the sound system is not as good BUT I love it, why I don't know, I just do.

I would go and buy something in the £2k to £4k range, look for the layout you think you'd like, at that price it shouldn't be an old wreck and should have the creature comforts. Off you go, use it for a year and then buy the van that really will fit your needs.

But it's the same everyone, so do plenty of research, get it checked if your not sure before buying, make sure the layout is what you need, then go and enjoy.

Bit of a nightmare this caravaning lark? I've toyed with the idea of joining the throng for some time now but unfortunately a severe cash flow problem has always thwarted any thoughts of stress free days away in new locations with like minded people enjoying endless glasses of wine, chilling, with not a care in the world, relaxing in my own oasis of tranquility. However, I now find that due to an upturn in my financial situation I am in a position to realise that burning desire to become a 'vanner. So, do I buy new? Well, according to the majority, no, because even new caravans have myriad problems that dealers try their hardest to wriggle out of correcting. If I still decide to ignore this advice, which manufacturer do I put my trust in, Lunar, who's 462 I had my heart set on? No, because 87 faults was the latest number to be recorded on a new van. What about the new SMART HT products from Swift, all composit, all singing, all dancing rot and damp proof nirvana? No, because they still leak and has been quoted, some wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! Ok, I'll go to a dealer who I know will be more expensive than buying private but at least I have the confidence that the dealer will look after my every whim when I lay my hard earned in front of him in exchange for that lovingly cared for second hander. No, every dealer is a lying, good for nothing thieving rogue who would sell his granny to get out of any after sales commitments. Ok then, last resort, I'll buy private. For God's sake man are you out of your mind! Buy off EBay and be damned, buying a van that doesn't actually exist except in the mind of the scam artist cheeky enough to try it on or was stolen less than two days ago. Or, you have no come back, no one to turn to, when you realise you have just bought a damp, rotting old box that would not be allowed to be used as a tea spot/outhouse by hairy asked builders!! I think I might just stick to hotels!

Well that was a lot of negative posting. All you had to say was you don't fancy caravanning.

Is there nothing on the tv for you tonight. Buy yourself a Kindle and read a book.

. ..just needed to read about people who actually bought a caravan brand new and apart from minor niggles got what they paid for. Needed to read about people who bought from a dealer, and, despite paying a bit more, actually got a good deal and got good after sales service. Just needed to read about people who gave bought private, off EBay and actually got a bargain, I just get fed up of reading negative comments. Not too much to ask is it. .?

I thought he covered the topic quite well!

Rememeber most people use forums to air their issues, i brought secondhand from a dealer and it has been trouble free, i just looked at a few before buying.

Well that was a lot of negative posting. All you had to say was you don't fancy caravanning. Is there nothing on the tv for you tonight. Buy yourself a Kindle and read a book.

. ..but that's the whole point, I do fancy caravanning but get put off by the negativity (which I was emulating in my original comment) that others have shown. ..

I thought he covered the topic quite well!

Rememeber most people use forums to air their issues, i brought secondhand from a dealer and it has been trouble free, i just looked at a few before buying.

. ..harvomark, I think you understand where I'm coming from. ..

. ..harvomark, I think you understand where I'm coming from. ..

I do, i brought my caravan 3 years ago and was looking to upgrade to a new caravan, after reading quite a few horror stories and looking around at some new caravans decided to stick with what i have for now. Bear in mind that for one bad experience on here there are lots of good experiences out there!

Ledzep - 30-40 years ago some of us went blindly into caravanning because "it seemed a good idea" - we're still here having saved several fortunes in hotel bills!

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

There are a lot of good vans around, just look for them, either at dealers or private.

With a dealer you do have some reassurance and some comfort if you get a warranty with the van.

Buying private can be a bit of a lottery, but, if you find a van you think you like, get a pre purchase inspection carried out by a qualified mobile caravan engineer, he will find any shortcomings and if and when you know what they are, you can decide how to go on, or not.

Never part with any cash until you have actually seen the van in question and are happy to go ahead.

Paid 2 grand for my return to vanning, buying an old Vanroyce to see how I felt and was very reluctant to move on from that brilliant put together van and yep I bought private and spent a long time checking it out before handing over the cash. ..and then bought private again for the next ban and have not regretted it for one moment. ...

. ..many thanks for all the replies, perhaps the glass is half full and not half empty after all. ..

Ledzep - 30-40 years ago some of us went blindly into caravanning because "it seemed a good idea" - we're still here having saved several fortunes in hotel bills!

I did this last week, bought from a large dealer, perused the used market, ebay, gumtree, preloved, auto trader etc. I think the best deal came from the dealer. Each to their own, just had a great first ever weekend away in a caravan that I was confident would be hassle free.

We bought ours 2 years ago for under £1k to see if it was for us & it's been brilliant. Looked at lots before & 1 was so bad "title read needs loving touch" yeah with a bulldozer it was easier to say what was right, I think the OH managed 5 things until we found our '91 wisp. I was going to upgrade to a 5 yr old van this year but the kids don't want to get rid so. ... Going to try next year but no damp no leaks, survives gale force winds, heavy snow, so far everything.

Go for it! You'll love it :) Brought most of ours from dealers as you do have more comeback ( usually ;) ) if things aren't quite right.

Had a few Ebay and privately brought ones, none had major probs . You can always get an expert to check one out for you if you see one you fancy :) Take your time and look at lots of different layouts and prices, go to a dealers and sit in them all, ( good day out !)

Good luck in your search and hope you find the perfect van for you :)

We bought our very first caravan 2 years ago brand new from a dealer. We actually went there to look at a 2nd hand one for about £8k and left having signed finance for a new one. In May we changed our van to another new one with a layout that suited us better. We had no major issues with our first van, but were blessed with a fantastic dealer who sorted out any issues we did have, hence we went back to them when we bought our next van. Yes we've had a few issues with our new van, however again our dealer has been superb. Have the issues put us off. ...definitely NOT. Is it worth it . .... definitely YES! Our only regrets are:-

1. We didn't do it sooner

2. We're not yet retired to be able to do it all the time

As others have said, buy what you can afford, but at least give it a go :)

Happy vanning :)

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

We bought our very first caravan 2 years ago brand new from a dealer. We actually went there to look at a 2nd hand one for about £8k and left having signed finance for a new one. In May we changed our van to another new one with a layout that suited us better. We had no major issues with our first van, but were blessed with a fantastic dealer who sorted out any issues we did have, hence we went back to them when we bought our next van. Yes we've had a few issues with our new van, however again our dealer has been superb. Have the issues put us off. ...definitely NOT. Is it worth it . .... definitely YES! Our only regrets are:-

1. We didn't do it sooner

2. We're not yet retired to be able to do it all the time

As others have said, buy what you can afford, but at least give it a go :)

Happy vanning :)

you quoted on my thread," welcome to your retreat on wheels" you were so right.

Well I have to say, the amount of posting on forums tends to be negative, I thought the same of your post op. but 21 posts in and you've found the happier vanners me being one.

My advice, for what its worth. Fix a budget and stick to it and i would say not to much. Then troll the dealers forecourt and find a layout and weighted van that suits. Out of experience, most people who buy a 1st van wish for something different in layout and if you find its not for you, you havent spent a fortune.

Either way, i would say you won`t regret the vanning world.

Edited by t5van

You could go on Trip Adviser and go right off hotels with the reviews for some hell holes,same as package holiday complaints. We stayed in the Waldorf Hilton Aldwych, on a coach trip to see Jersey boys I should add and didnt like it as much as our van. People with problems complain the vast majority dont have anything to post about. Our van is 8 years old and given us very little trouble bought it new from a great dealer,Golden Castle Caravans,and am very happy.

Bailey Indiana S. 6 and Hyundai i800 auto