2009 Thetford Fridge Not Working

blondchaser

Can't get my Thetford fridge to work. LED screen comes up green instead of blue. icon 8 with spanner in book suggests insufficient power. Swift Charisma 555 van.

Please help.

Edited by blondchaser

Code 8 refers to the mains being below what it should be .

The cause could be either a 5a fuse on the powerboard has blown, or the heater element has failed or the power board has failed.

Gas or mains?

Mains

Brecon. Where is the power board located? Have checked the main fuse box and both fridge fuses are ok.

Edited by blondchaser

It is on the back of the fridge, BUT, most are not easy to get at and require the fridge to be at least partially removed.

As Thetford fridges do not expel the exhaust gas when using gas directly to outside, I very strongly suggest that you do not attempt to do the work yourself as it means breaking the gas union to remove, re connecting on refitting and leak testing and most importantly, ensuring the seal to the inside of the van is correctly installed to prevent you being a victim of CO poisioning.

Get a qualified engineer to do it.

It is on the back of the fridge, BUT, most are not easy to get at and require the fridge to be at least partially removed.

As Thetford fridges do not expel the exhaust gas when using gas directly to outside, I very strongly suggest that you do not attempt to do the work yourself as it means breaking the gas union to remove, re connecting on refitting and leak testing and most importantly, ensuring the seal to the inside of the van is correctly installed to prevent you being a victim of CO poisioning.

Thanks Brecon. Take it no access from vents on side of van?

Brecon,

Regarding the sealing around the fridge, what does this consist of? Mine has just been to the dealer to get the ignighter chnaged and I can see daylight through the top of the fridge casing and the surround. There looks like some clear silicone has been used in the past.

Is this the usual method of seal or do Thetford supply something?.

I had the van in as it was coming up to the end of the warranty, and I knew it would not work on gas, even though I have always used it on electric operation.

The seal of is a special closed cell foam strip which completely seals any entry of air or contaminated air into the interior of the van.

It MUST be installed correctly as the fridge when on gas does not have an external vent like Dometic fridges, but exits inside the van behind the fridge and relies on good circulation to expel the exhaust gas out of the top vent.

Clear silicone is NOT acceptable, and you should NOT be able to see daylight from anywhere around the fridge top or sides.

The seal of is a special closed cell foam strip which completely seals any entry of air or contaminated air into the interior of the van.

It MUST be installed correctly as the fridge when on gas does not have an external vent like Dometic fridges, but exits inside the van behind the fridge and relies on good circulation to expel the exhaust gas out of the top vent.

Clear silicone is NOT acceptable, and you should NOT be able to see daylight from anywhere around the fridge top or sides.

Thanks for that answer Brecon.

I understand how it vents the combustion gases, which seems an inferior design to the Dometic/Electrolux type units. I am at a loss to comprehend why the fridge was not resealed. It had to have a new ignighter fitted so I assume this needed the fridge removing to complete the task.( Initially I was told it was working perfectly)

There is certainly a very small gap at the top of the fridge and worktop, as I can see the light from the outside top vent. It seems very lapse of the dealers workshop to let this go out in an unsafe condition, but my experience of them has been poor from the start and is now going downhill rapidly.

Is the tape a Thetford spares item?, as I will wait to get it done at the next service and ask him to use the correct product (at an Independant Approved workshop) rather than go back to the dealers.