Useful And Interesting Advice

Ich

Reading the owners handbook (on-line version) for my new tug the following bits of information/advice caught my eye

Driving characteristics and

towing tips

Before attaching a trailer, lubricate the coupling ball. However, do not do so if a stabiliser, which acts on the coupling ball, is being used to reduce snaking movements. For trailers with low driving stability and caravan trailers with a permitted

gross vehicle weight of more than 1300 kg (Sports tourer: 1200 kg) the use of a stabiliser is strongly recommended when driving above 50 mph.

If the trailer starts snaking, drive more slowly, do not attempt to correct the steering and brake sharply if

necessary.

When driving downhill, drive in the same gear as if driving uphill and drive at a similar speed.

Adjust tyre pressure to the value specified for full load

All of which pretty much matches what we know anyway but it's good to see car manufacturers are printing it.

This one is more interesting as it permits exceeding the plated weights in the stated circumstances. I wonder how the authorities would react if a vehicle was found in these circumstances?

Rear axle load

When the trailer is coupled and the towing vehicle fully loaded, the permissible rear axle load (see identification plate or vehicle documents) may be exceeded by 60 kg, the gross vehicle weight rating may be exceeded by 60 kg.

If the permissible rear axle load is exceeded, a maximum speed of 60 mph applies

This is for a Vauxhall and also applies to my present vehicle, I wonder how many others have a similar relaxation.

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

This is for a Vauxhall and also applies to my present vehicle, I wonder how many others have a similar relaxation.

In the manual for our Peugeot it states the max braked trailer weight is 1200Kg, but then has a provision which says if you increase the weight of the car (ie. passengers, luggage) you can equally increase the braked trailer weight up to 1475Kg.

We have a large roof box for exactly this reason so we can equally spread the load across the car.

PS. Our caravan has a MTPLM of 1300Kg so we sit nicely within the limits.