Alko Atc As An Aftermarket Fitting

Marks

You can fit the Alko ATC system as an aftermarket fitment, has anyone one this, and did you notice a difference from your previous non ATC situation.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

You can fit the Alko ATC system as an aftermarket fitment, has anyone one this, and did you notice a difference from your previous non ATC situation.

Personally, I would never get a van without such a system. It has proven itself many times.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

My van was made before ATC was available, so I had little choice in the matter.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

You won't notice any difference in normal driving as the ATC only operates when it detects a swing on the caravan.

If you want it fitting, you are not far from the Al-Ko factory in Southam, Warwickshire.

Brian

I had ATC fitted to my previous caravan soon after it became available. Took it to Al-Ko at Southam who did the job while I waited. Stayed on a local CL overnight. The only difference I noticed was after leaving Southam I went around a roundabout rather enthusiastically and immediately felt the caravan brakes go on & release - so I knew it worked - albeit unintentionally! Both me & my wife felt it was worth the outlay for the extra peace of mind, even though the Bailey was a very stable caravan. We haven't ever had it operate in normal driving, thankfully, but we like to know it's there, if needed.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

Mine was fitted at home by their factory engineer and think it is great to have. ..

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We haven't ever had it operate in normal driving, thankfully, but we like to know it's there, if needed.

John M

My experience is identical although when I stated the same a few months ago I was shot down with comments suggesting that I was an insensitive and unobservant driver.

It appears that you have an inherently stable outfit as do we, and that those who have a twitchy setup cannot appreciate how you can have a rig where the ATC isn't operating several times per tow.

Tony

My experience is identical although when I stated the same a few months ago I was shot down with comments suggesting that I was an insensitive and unobservant driver.

It appears that you have an inherently stable outfit as do we, and that those who have a twitchy setup cannot appreciate how you can have a rig where the ATC isn't operating several times per tow.

Tony

I appreciate you comments but a lot of the time you cannot feel it operate. My last trip I removed and relocated the ATC led to the front window so I could observe it from the car. It operated a fair few times according to the LED but I didn't feel it once. I'm not saying this is what is happening but it could be the case I guess?

Mahatma Gandhi

It can be a tad disconcerting when you first encounter its effect! Also, you must get your vehicle wiring spot on otherwise you may hit snags with the ATC's operation. I initially discovered that my vehicle had been wrongly wired so that the live feed was going through a relay and the ATC didn't like it at all, the green light was flashing constantly and the brakes were applying occasionally when stationary! A simple rewire and all was well.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I've only ever 'felt' it operate on three occasions in 18 months and all have been on bumpy road surfaces when we've driven over unseen potholes.

The option price of £500 on a Lunar seems v high, is it cheaper fitted independently?

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I've only ever 'felt' it operate on three occasions in 18 months and all have been on bumpy road surfaces when we've driven over unseen potholes.

The option price of £500 on a Lunar seems v high, is it cheaper fitted independently?

It's £587 fitted by Al-Ko

http://www. al-ko. com/shop/uk_vt/products/caravan-accessories-1/al-ko-atc. html

Brian

I appreciate you comments but a lot of the time you cannot feel it operate. My last trip I removed and relocated the ATC led to the front window so I could observe it from the car. It operated a fair few times according to the LED but I didn't feel it once. I'm not saying this is what is happening but it could be the case I guess?

Yup, that's quite possible :)

It is a pity that ALKO chose to show the caravan with and without ATC from different viewpoints in the Elk Test. It makes it difficult to make one's one's comparison. It could even suggest that they have something to hide.

It is a pity that ALKO chose to show the caravan with and without ATC from different viewpoints in the Elk Test. It makes it difficult to make one's one's comparison. It could even suggest that they have something to hide.

I agree ;) It would be a nice test.

Mahatma Gandhi

I fitted the LEAS stabiliser which works on the same principle as the ATC to my caravan. After having installed it and carrying out a static operational check, I conducted my own 'Elk Test' on an empty supermarket car park. I wanted to get a feel for myself of its deployment and can only confirm AlKo's findings.

I just wonder if technology is being utilised to disguise the inexperience of the modern-day caravanner? ATC plus tow hitch stabilisers -- belt and braces?

Alan

I just wonder if technology is being utilised to disguise the inexperience of the modern-day caravanner? ATC plus tow hitch stabilisers -- belt and braces?

Alan

I completely disagree. .. If it makes things safer and potentially saves life's for an effectively small outlay in the scheme of things then it can only be a good thing.

Could I tow without it? Of course. .. Would I want to. ..?

Mahatma Gandhi

Alan

I also wonder. I also wonder if stability aids are fitted to the caravans which overturn on motorways ?

I have never had any stability aids and I have never had any serious instability whilst towing a caravan.

I have never had any stability aids and I have never had any serious instability whilst towing a caravan.

Me neither. Not even when I drove 200 miles with the big red Alko handle sticking up in the air. .. ;)

Me neither. Not even when I drove 200 miles with the big red Alko handle sticking up in the air. .. ;)

Presumably you benefited from the placebo effect ? ;):rolleyes:

Alan

The same argument was put forward when ABS was first introduced on cars.

One cannot compare ATC with tow hitch stabilisers directly. The ATC is an active system which only deploys when instability has already started to occur and is threatening to get out of control if nothing is done to intervene. Hitch stabilisers, on the other hand, are passive systems which are supposed to provide added resistance to instability occuring in the first place.

The same argument was put forward when ABS was first introduced on cars.

One cannot compare ATC with tow hitch stabilisers directly. The ATC is an active system which only deploys when instability has already started to occur and is threatening to get out of control if nothing is done to intervene. Hitch stabilisers, on the other hand, are passive systems which are supposed to provide added resistance to instability occuring in the first place.

Hi Lutz

I would suggest that the introduction of ABS is not a good analogy or in any way comparable to the use of trailer stability aids. I also do not recall that argument being put forward or any resistance to using ABS equipped vehicles when it ABS was being introduced for vehicle use. The majority of drivers at that time were unlikely to ever drive vehicles fitted with ABS. As I recall ABS was for many years only fitted to high specification vehicles and was more widely introduced over many years.

As a matter of fact the first ABS equipped car I drove was my present vehicle which I bought about four years ago. Drivers with ABS fitted vehicles had to learn and acquire a different driving technique when braking. For many who had used cadence braking for many years it took some time to acquire the new technique. Old habits die hard. :rolleyes:

DeeTee

Instability aids do not require any change in driving techniques.

Hi Lutz

I would suggest that the introduction of ABS is not a good analogy or in any way comparable to the use of trailer stability aids. I also do not recall that argument being put forward or any resistance to using ABS equipped vehicles when it ABS was being introduced for vehicle use. The majority of drivers at that time were unlikely to ever drive vehicles fitted with ABS. As I recall ABS was for many years only fitted to high specification vehicles and was more widely introduced over many years.

As a matter of fact the first ABS equipped car I drove was my present vehicle which I bought about four years ago. Drivers with ABS fitted vehicles had to learn and acquire a different driving technique when braking. For many who had used cadence braking for many years it took some time to acquire the new technique. Old habits die hard. :rolleyes:

DeeTee

Instability aids do not require any change in driving techniques.

The first car with ABS that I drove was almost 20 years ago. It was a Vectra which can hardly be described as a high specification vehicle.

I somehow doubt whether very many average drivers ever tried and mastered cadence braking, especially in a panic emergency situation, so ABS was definitely a step forward. However, when it was first introduced, some drivers apparently thought that ABS was the be-all-and-end-all of braking and it could always be relied upon to stop in time, no matter how slippery the surface or how short the available braking distance. As a result, the accident rate actually went up slightly for a short time until this misconception was overcome and everyone understood the working principle of the system.

Edited by Lutz

My recollection of the introduction of ABS to motor vehicles goes back further than twenty years as I seem to recall it being featured on Tomorrows World many years before then. ABS, anti skid or similar technology was first used on aircraft I believe in the early 1930s and indeed it was used on the V-bomber force aircraft, Vulcan Victor and Valiant of the Cold War era in the 1950s.

However, when it was first introduced, some drivers apparently thought that ABS was the be-all-and-end-all of braking and it could always be relied upon to stop in time, no matter how slippery the surface or how short the available braking distance.

I suspect that something similar is happening in use of towing stability aids.