Unicorn Cadiz 3 & Isabella Magnum

Tandem Man

We will probably be in the market to upgrade to a Unicorn 3 Cadiz in the new year and went to look at one recently.

There has been much talk on CT about a porch awning cutting across the front nearside locker thereby rendering it useless when the awning is up.

When we actually saw the van it looked possible that a porch may just fit to the right hand side of this locker and just miss the awning light and also miss the rear window.

I wondered if anyone who has bought the new Unicorn has tried it with a porch awning yet, most usefully a Magnum but any would do to give us an idea ?

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has actually tried it yet.

I spent some time at the NEC last week trying to measure the gap between the door edge when it's opened and the rear window and I reckon it's just 3. 3 metres which seems to be the spacing of the poles on the Isabella Magnum/Ventura Marlin. The rear pads on the awning come inside that spacing so might fit behind the door but would potentially come down the edge of the window. If Bailey had put the door on with the hinges to the rear then there would be no problem.

We've got a Ventura Cadet (Isabella Minor) and it definitely won't fit as it comes across the rear window so we'll be flogging ours when the Cadiz 3 arrives next Feb so we've got lots of time to decide

It would be interesting to hear of what others are going to use - I don't really want an airbeam or nylon tent hanging off the side of the van

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has actually tried it yet.

I spent some time at the NEC last week trying to measure the gap between the door edge when it's opened and the rear window and I reckon it's just 3. 3 metres which seems to be the spacing of the poles on the Isabella Magnum/Ventura Marlin. The rear pads on the awning come inside that spacing so might fit behind the door but would potentially come down the edge of the window. If Bailey had put the door on with the hinges to the rear then there would be no problem.

We've got a Ventura Cadet (Isabella Minor) and it definitely won't fit as it comes across the rear window so we'll be flogging ours when the Cadiz 3 arrives next Feb so we've got lots of time to decide

It would be interesting to hear of what others are going to use - I don't really want an airbeam or nylon tent hanging off the side of the van

On the U3 the door would then cover the fridge outlets.

I've had previous vans - in fact my present U1 Madrid has the door hinged so it covers the fridge outlets so I can't see that as a problem

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

We will probably be in the market to upgrade to a Unicorn 3 Cadiz in the new year and went to look at one recently.

There has been much talk on CT about a porch awning cutting across the front nearside locker thereby rendering it useless when the awning is up.

When we actually saw the van it looked possible that a porch may just fit to the right hand side of this locker and just miss the awning light and also miss the rear window.

I wondered if anyone who has bought the new Unicorn has tried it with a porch awning yet, most usefully a Magnum but any would do to give us an idea ?

Ian

When I got the chap from the Isabella stand to advise at the NEC, we went to look at a U3 Cadiz with a tape measure. His conclusion was that it was fine between the front locker and the door, but would foul the bedroom window.

We'd been keen on a Magnum, but instead bought a Kampa Rally pro 390, which definitely clears the window

• 4 weeks later...

Ian

Did you find out Ian if the Magnum would fit maybe encompassing the whole front window and dropping short of the rear window. The reason I ask is we have a Cadiz on order and would like a magnum .

Did you find out Ian if the Magnum would fit maybe encompassing the whole front window and dropping short of the rear window. The reason I ask is we have a Cadiz on order and would like a magnum .

Measured up our prospective Cadiz the other day.

Did not try encompassing the front window.

If you are not bothered about the entrance door going right back ( we aren't as our Orion never did and it was no problem ) the Magnum will fit comfortably between the door catch and the door and include the rear locker door.

If you want the entrance door to fully open and locate the catch the Magnum will cut the rear locker door.

We prefer the former.

Ian

This thread is very interesting because although I cannot be of any help, it has highlighted to myself as a newbie the fact that lockers and their positions needs to be considered.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

Jellygirl0

This thread is very interesting because although I cannot be of any help, it has highlighted to myself as a newbie the fact that lockers and their positions needs to be considered.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

Jellygirl0

Yes it is a bit of a minefield that can cost a lot of money if the wrong decision is made.

Some people don't mind cutting lockers others don't mind cutting windows.

The best thing to do is to visit an awning dealer ( preferably one that sells your choice of van ) and take a tape measure with you.

You could of course go for a full awning then the problems vanish,to be replaced of course with a heavier more expensive awning that takes longer to erect ( and dry when need be ).

Ian