Fitting Semi - Flexible Solar Panel

tim

Hi All

As I mentioned in my previous thread I have received a replacement semi flexible solar panel and intend on sticking it straight on top of the old one as my wiring etc is all ready for it there.

Rather then sticking it straight on directly, I was wondering on putting some sort of batons down first, so it creates a bit of an air gap.

I just happened to see in a DIY shop today some plastic strips of conduit, (the strips that wires are put inside).

These seemed to look ideal for the job.

Any ideas from anyone please.

Many Thanks

Tim

The panels are designed to be fixed to a flat surface as you can in most cases walk on them, so if you cant remove the old panel then sikaflex or similar your new one, directly on top, no gaps are needed for this type of panel.

As stated, I would stick directly to the old panel, no gaps. They are designed to get hot. If you leave a gap underneath then water and dirt will get in and you will end up with an unsightly green mess. .. much like the one I have to clean out from under my fixed panel every year :o

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Hi all,

Thanks for advice.

I think I will wait until next spring anyway now, and the few trips I have left this year with no ehu, I will just lay the new panel on top of the old one, and weigh it down if I need to.

Thanks

Tim

If you weigh it down, ensure that you either use a sheet of glass or only weigh it at the edges :)

If you weigh it down, ensure that you either use a sheet of glass or only weigh it at the edges :)

Good point.

Most of the semi-flexible panels have a hole in each corner. .. Can you tie it to some suckers?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Most of the semi-flexible panels have a hole in each corner. .. Can you tie it to some suckers?

Mine does have holes, good idea, thanks.

• 1 month later...

post-830-0-39455000-1414775944_thumb.jpgpost-830-0-10482100-1414775991_thumb.jpgpost-830-0-21585300-1414776038_thumb.jpgpost-830-0-83190000-1414776086_thumb.jpgpost-830-0-41140600-1414776137_thumb.jpgHi All,

We were away last this week so thought I would fix my new panel onto my old one.

despite all your good advice I went ahead and stuck strips of conduet first to the new panel, waited for the glue to dry, then stuck the panel to the old one.

I sanded down the old one first, which felt a weird thing to do!

I then weighted it down for 24 hours, and everything seems ok.

It is working and survived a one hour journey home today.

I must add about the site we stayed on. A cs site at Lower Ansty, Dorset. A lovely tidy site, hard standing, farm shop, pub opposite, bus stop outside and lovely views, walks from site, all for £12. 00 a night with EHU.

I must add about the site we stayed on. A cs site at Lower Ansty, Dorset. A lovely tidy site, hard standing, farm shop, pub opposite, bus stop outside and lovely views, walks from site, all for £12. 00 a night with EHU.

Brewery Farm opposite the Fox? Nice.

What was wrong with the origional panel?

See my other topic, under "100 watt semi - flexible panel problems" dated 5th September.

Brewery Farm opposite the Fox? Nice.

That's the one, can't understand why apart from one night, we were the only ones there.

Tim