Fitting Battery Cut Off Switch

Just wanted to know if any one has every fitted a battery cut off switch that connects to the battery terminal and uses a screw to disconnect the battery. Have they had any promblems or they do they do the job.

post-61784-0-50785700-1409992892_thumb.j

post-61784-0-73119300-1409992416_thumb.j

post-61784-0-73119300-1409992416_thumb.jpg

post-61784-0-50785700-1409992892_thumb.jpg

Out of interest, why would you want to do this?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Any of the fittings you show would be suitable but you are limited by space in the battery locker, but, the caravan electrics isolate the battery and so supplementary isolation is not required, the only exception is a tracker unit or alarm, which I am sure your insurer, if they know you have it, would prefer you kept it active.

The fittings shown are usually used when there is no other form of isolation, or as an anti theft device on cars to disable the starter motor. It won't stop a caravan being stolen.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I don't have a cut off switch and in the pass when i have gone to pick the van up from storage the battery has been dead as one of the lights have been left on. My thinking is i could just switch the battery off so there is nothing to drain the battery. this fitting is easy fit and is accessible from the battery box out side.

If you forget and leave a light on when storing the van, then you can equally forget to isolate the battery. Much better to get into the discipline of ensuring everything is off all windows re closed and locked, all lockers closed and locked.

As Gumdrop says, use quick release fittings;

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Boat-Truck-car-Van-Battery-Quick-Release-Brass-Terminal-Clamps-12V-24V-/281210309836?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item417970cccc

As an aside, are you sure the items pictured aren't for car use? they look very like thief deterrent clamps that have a small fuse in; the idea being that you take the screw out but the battery remains connected to power the radio, interior lights etc. but as soon as the starter is used, the fuse blows, thereby slowing down the theft of a car. The screw is needed to carry the starting current.

hawkaye :beardy:

Think you might struggle to fit them as on my van at least the battery locker is only just big enough for the battery!

Car and Marine battery isolators http://www. vehicle-wiring-products. EU/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage. php

As Gumdrop says, use quick release fittings;

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Boat-Truck-car-Van-Battery-Quick-Release-Brass-Terminal-Clamps-12V-24V-/281210309836?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item417970cccc

As an aside, are you sure the items pictured aren't for car use? they look very like thief deterrent clamps that have a small fuse in; the idea being that you take the screw out but the battery remains connected to power the radio, interior lights etc. but as soon as the starter is used, the fuse blows, thereby slowing down the theft of a car. The screw is needed to carry the starting current.

If you forget and leave a light on when storing the van, then you can equally forget to isolate the battery. Much better to get into the discipline of ensuring everything is off all windows re closed and locked, all lockers closed and locked.

I have 2 children that love touching every thing after i have checked that every thing is off. if I fit a isolated switch at least i know there is nothing on.

I do agree that the red key isolating switch is a better job as for the the battery terminal switch i am unsure how exactly they work and look like a simple solution for my needs. if there is still a connection as posted by hawkaye then they wouldn't do want i want.

Are other caravans fitted with a isolated switches for the battery ?

Edited by skippydan

Hi

There is one solution that might suit and that's the cut off switch as used for a motor mover. My (2005 Avondale) battery box has a cut out for this near the mains input connector so it wouldn't affect the space for the actual battery PLUS if you know you've got the "key" with you when you go home you know the 12volt power is OFF!

I've got one like this on my mover :)

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Truma-Powrtouch-PurpleLine-isolation-60010-05000/dp/B00AIOFTT0

Jim

Edited by JamesF

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

I have a switch by the door that turns all the 12v off, well all bar the fan for the fire. I also have a quick release clamp on the battery.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)