Weird Indicator Behaviour

Jaydug

It's four or five months ago since I fitted my towbar with 12N & 12S wiring on bypass relays. Since then I've done three towed journeys with the first two being uneventful. The last one however wasn't. After hitching on and plugging into the sockets, all the lights worked correctly before moving off. Ten minutes or so into the journey when the n/s indicator was switched, after seven or so clicks the flash rate went into double quick time with the trailer and car's rear flashers ceasing to work. Thereafter only the front indicator worked - at double speed. After stopping and switching off the engine, all the lights work again. During the week on site, the solo car's indicators worked perfectly. I managed to complete my return tow by ensuring that I allowed the indicators to flash no more than four times.

Anyone got some ideas?

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I have found indicator problems from the 'fit' between the plug pins and the socket holes.

And the pins are brass with a central slot.

Put a screwdriver in this slot to gently expand the pins size. This will get a slightly tighter fit in the holes.

This will ensure a more consistent electrical connection between pin and hole.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like one of the relays

It was indeed one of the relays. I disconnected the Smart7 and fitted a new one. I've been running the car for the past week with a trailer board plugged in and I'm happy to see all the rear lights functioning correctly.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com