M40 Warwick Services Caravan Parking

glreeves

Returning from holiday last Monday I stopped off at the Warwick services on the M40 southbound. We noticed a sign on entering the service area that directed both HGVs and caravans to the same parking area. There were two other outfits parked up along with the HGVs, and we found a vacant lane. I couldn't see any further directional signs for caravans and was happy to stay there. However, the HGV in the lane to our left was rather abusive when he drove off shouting it was for HGVs only. When I tried to point out the sign I saw, he started to shake some coffee beans Gareth Hunt style. ..well, it looked like that!

Could any other more regular users of this service area tell me if I was in the wrong area to avoid this situation in the future please! I know it's annoying for me when cars park in caravan spaces so want to do the right thing. Thanks!

Ford Mondeo 2. 0 TDCI Zetec estate and Lunar Quasar 524

The southbound Warwick services caravan parking was for many years signed in an area with the car parking. After turning into the car parking area caravans were expected to park in the area on the right. The parking lanes for caravans were often filled with vans as there did not seem to be room for vans in the car parking area. I sometimes call in when travelling southbound on the M40 but never call in with the caravan in tow. Every time I have called in the past year I can't remember seeing caravans there.

Returning from holiday last Monday I stopped off at the Warwick services on the M40 southbound. We noticed a sign on entering the service area that directed both HGVs and caravans to the same parking area. There were two other outfits parked up along with the HGVs, and we found a vacant lane. I couldn't see any further directional signs for caravans and was happy to stay there. However, the HGV in the lane to our left was rather abusive when he drove off shouting it was for HGVs only. When I tried to point out the sign I saw, he started to shake some coffee beans Gareth Hunt style. ..well, it looked like that!

Could any other more regular users of this service area tell me if I was in the wrong area to avoid this situation in the future please! I know it's annoying for me when cars park in caravan spaces so want to do the right thing. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I can't see the difference. Not exactly his carpark was it.

Next time just shout "Your webbing come loose mate" that'll keep him busy for a while, whilst your driving off giving him the finger if fudge. Sorry I meant a friendly truckers wave :)

Edited by Gaz40

I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I can't see the difference. Not exactly his carpark was it.

Next time just shout "Your webbing come loose mate" that'll keep him busy for a while, whilst your driving off giving him the finger if fudge. Sorry I meant a friendly truckers wave :)

I have to behave as my young son was with me (wife had nipped over to the services)! Probably no reaction from me would actually p*** him off more.

I have to behave as my young son was with me (wife had nipped over to the services)! Probably no reaction from me would actually p*** him off more.

Your right to have said nothing . .....

But give us the reg and company name and I'll do of for you. :) That's if I ever see the truck on my travels. .. but never say never !!

Edited by Gaz40

I agree, the 'van parking at Warwick services southbound isn't that well signposted and we too missed it completely. Ended up parking by he petrol station, just past the air and water line machines. Plenty of space as well :) .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

The service areas were constructed to handle the volume of traffic expected at the time of building . ..it wouldn't surprise me if volumes have now doubled.

With no further investment taking place the situation that we all face will only get worse. The only service station I know of which has had some work done is the one just N. of Bristol on M5. ..but that was just a remodel of existing space.

M5/M50 junction has queues trailing out onto the lanes and I wonder when a major accident will occur.

So overall to summarise a dire overcrowded motorway system trying to cater for everyone needs and falling well short. ..so think out side the box. .you have everything you need towing behind you. ..leave the motorway, find a layby or quiet lane and enjoy. All it takes is a little planning.

10 out of 10 for parking at Telford services on the M54 if anyone's interested. If the 'van spaces are full, there's nearly always spaces in the HGV park and it's quite tidy and clean.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

We too have never successfully found the caravan area at Warwick. We don't stop there any more, we drive on to Oxford instead where there is quite a large area. It is a busy services though and one of those universal ones for both carriageways via roundabouts.

we drive on to Oxford instead

If heading onto the A34 we use Cherwell Valley. Caravan parking is in a long layby near the LGV park. Not the easiest to get in and a long walk to the building entrance

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Southbound on the M6 at Stafford services has excellent well signed parking for caravans well away from the HGV parking . ......... so why do so many vans use it? Fortunately there is no odour de wee here. We use it often when going south.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

Southbound on the M6 at Stafford services has excellent well signed parking for caravans well away from the HGV parking . ......... so why do so many vans use it? Fortunately there is no odour de wee here. We use it often when going south.

Northbound at Stafford services the dedicated caravan parking often has more vans than caravans but there is normally the odour of urine there.

Northbound at Stafford services the dedicated caravan parking often has more vans than caravans but there is normally the odour of urine there.

It's not us! We can hang on until we get home from that point. ..........

Thanks for the alternative suggestions. We live near Oxford and so Warwick was good timing for our lunch break, having come from Shropshire. I'll try to be more resilient next time in amongst the HGVs if necessary.